SALERNO Ferries

uktraveller

We have just returned from a med cruise where Brilliance OTS made her first ever stop at the new port of Salerno. I had difficulty finding much information about this port when researching so thought I would share what we learnt about the boat/ferry system.

The port is quite an attractive place to dock and we were moored at the far western end of town. RCCL provided a shuttle bus service which they descibed as being "offered on a complimentary basis" from the ship to the Piazza della Concordia. It's about a 15 minute ride. We opted to take the local travelmar ferry service from Salerno to Positano, which depart at 08.40, 09.40, 10.40 and 11.40, costs 10 Euros each, one way, and takes just over an hour. To find the ferry departure point and ticket office, simply walk across the car park from the drop off point, past the statue column and you will see the walkway down to the boats. I'd recommend this for a lovely relaxing day, the scenery from the ferry is amazing, you can sit outside, and Positano is a lovely little town to explore, eat lunch, shop etc. You can also break the journey at Amalfi, if you wish.... you can get a ferry timetable from the Salerno ticket office.

It is also possible to get to Capri by yourself. The ship run tours to Capri appeared to be on chartered jetboats as they were picking up and dropping off right next to the ship. Independent travellers to Capri had to use the shuttle service to the hydrofoil station.

There were special departures of the shuttle bus at 7.30am, 7.45, 8.00 and 8.15 from the pier to the hydrofoil station ...if you were not on one of these shuttles you had missed your chance to get to Capri. Departures were 7.50 (2hr ferry), 8.10 (80 minute jet-foil) and 8.40 (2hr ferry). The return times from Capri were 3.30 (80 minute jet foil) and 4.20 (2 hr ferry). The normal shuttle stopped operating at 6pm for our 7pm departure but there was what was described as an "exceptional" extra bus arranged for guests arriving on the 4.20 ferry which ran back to the ship at 6.30pm.

Now that Salerno is to be used by RCCL and Celebrity as a port stop instead of Naples, hopefully this information will be useful.

We have just returned from a med cruise where Brilliance OTS made her first ever stop at the new port of Salerno. I had difficulty finding much information about this port when researching so thought I would share what we learnt about the boat/ferry system.

The port is quite an attractive place to dock and we were moored at the far western end of town. RCCL provided a shuttle bus service which they descibed as being "offered on a complimentary basis" from the ship to the Piazza della Concordia. It's about a 15 minute ride. We opted to take the local travelmar ferry service from Salerno to Positano, which depart at 08.40, 09.40, 10.40 and 11.40, costs 10 Euros each, one way, and takes just over an hour. To find the ferry departure point and ticket office, simply walk across the car park from the drop off point, past the statue column and you will see the walkway down to the boats. I'd recommend this for a lovely relaxing day, the scenery from the ferry is amazing, you can sit outside, and Positano is a lovely little town to explore, eat lunch, shop etc. You can also break the journey at Amalfi, if you wish.... you can get a ferry timetable from the Salerno ticket office.

It is also possible to get to Capri by yourself. The ship run tours to Capri appeared to be on chartered jetboats as they were picking up and dropping off right next to the ship. Independent travellers to Capri had to use the shuttle service to the hydrofoil station.

There were special departures of the shuttle bus at 7.30am, 7.45, 8.00 and 8.15 from the pier to the hydrofoil station ...if you were not on one of these shuttles you had missed your chance to get to Capri. Departures were 7.50 (2hr ferry), 8.10 (80 minute jet-foil) and 8.40 (2hr ferry). The return times from Capri were 3.30 (80 minute jet foil) and 4.20 (2 hr ferry). The normal shuttle stopped operating at 6pm for our 7pm departure but there was what was described as an "exceptional" extra bus arranged for guests arriving on the 4.20 ferry which ran back to the ship at 6.30pm.

Now that Salerno is to be used by RCCL and Celebrity as a port stop instead of Naples, hopefully this information will be useful.

Thanks for the post. Have noted the info for possible future travels.

We have just returned from the Constellation and took the same ferry to Amalfi, the cost was 6 euros each way. You can take a bus up to Ravello from Amalfi.

Solerno has a beautifull promenade that goes on for 5 miles.

We were very pleased with Salerno.

We have just returned from the Constellation and took the same ferry to Amalfi, the cost was 6 euros each way. You can take a bus up to Ravello from Amalfi.

Solerno has a beautifull promenade that goes on for 5 miles.

We were very pleased with Salerno.

Andy..

Did Celebrity offer a "complimentary" shuttle service to Piazza della Concordia, as RCCL did? We will be visiting Salerno again in July '11 on Equinox.

I agree, Salerno was a pleasant surprise.:)

• 7 months later...

Has anybody used this? It says 2009, so I'm not sure if there's an update.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but it seems to me that I could get a ferry from Salerno (we're on RCCL) at 8:40 and arrive in Positano at 10:00, leave Positano at 12:00 and get to Capri at 12:25. We could then leave Capri at 3:30 and get to Salerno at 4:50.

We'd love to see both Positano and Capri. Will this work?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anguillafan or anyone who has gone to Salerno as a port stop.

We are booked on Celebrity Equinox 6/27 which was originally to stop in Naples but was changed to stop in Salerno.

This thread has been helpful and your idea of getting to Positano and Capri sounds great.

Did you or anyone else make this or similar visits from the Salerno stop?

Thanks

(my first CC post:)

I hope our Oct 20 Equinox cruise ends up going to Salerno instead of Naples. As it is, we are planning to spend a few days there before our cruise in order to more easily visit the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii, and spend more time in each place, than we can from Naples. My research on Salerno has indicated that it is a very pleasant little city and a great place to use as a transposrtation hub for travels within the region. Looking forward to our trip!

I have come across two different ferry schedules. Can someone tell me which one is correct:

http://www.lauroweb.com/orariotariffe/partenzealicost2011.pdf

http://www.coopsantandrea.com/it/servizidilinea/servizi_s.asp?partenza=Salerno&arrivo=Positano

Unless I am misreading it, the first one shows only one option from Salerno to to Positano at 8:40 AM. Thanks in advance.

Yes,we were concerned with the change of port. We are using www.besttoursofitlay.com to go to Pompeii,Sorrento,Positano,and the alfa coast drive. I email them and they can still do the tour out of Salerno but it will cost for the five of us 50 more euros.It is a van for all day for rive for 550euros plus now the 50 euros. Still think it is ok. Anyone else find anything better? Please post!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the ferry (especially the return) can be pre-booked and pre-paid to ensure that there are no unpleasant surprises?

Gescab is the company that runs the boats between Salerno and Capri; they have on line sales here: http://www.gescab.it/linee/default.asp

Of course, advance purchase leaves you open to other unpleasant surprises; if for some reason you miss the boat, you're out the money. I would assume they refund if the weather prevents the boat from running, but I think I'd check that out before purchasing.

• 1 year later...

Archived