INR (Coumidin) Testing

plimsol

I was on Cumiden several years ago and it was a heavy travel year for us so I had my doctor prescribe the tester for me. I was able to get the small testing device for about $500-600 completely covered by my insurance.

You may want to look into this option. It's very easy to use and read.:)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my query. Orchestrpal (or anyone else) - I would like more information about the prescribed "small testing device". You can e-mail me at d.g.cooper@rogers.com.

Jan, I appreciate your personal experience about getting tested onboard. It's comforting to know this information. Did you have to notify the ship in advance that you required this testing?

See this CTV video on availability of Coaguchek right in your province.: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20071116/coagulation_monitoring_071115/

I think cost of test strip, $8 each according to my pharmacist, is a deterrent to the popularity of self check.

P.S. I couldn't get video to run, may be it's too old, but at least the accompanying article gives you a head start to research more.

My husband has used the Coaguchek for 3 years. He actually bought it from Amazon so the insurance did not pay. Still, the price was significantly less than the price on the site that our insurance wanted him to order from, so we never gave it a thought. He has used it on 3 different cruises and on a land trip to Europe. We once had a problem in Mexico when the machine registered an error message, but he called the toll-free number on the bottom of the device and a nurse walked him through the problem. This is a small, easy to use, easy to pack device that has our 100 percent recommendation.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my query. Orchestrpal (or anyone else) - I would like more information about the prescribed "small testing device". You can e-mail me at d.g.cooper@rogers.com.

Jan, I appreciate your personal experience about getting tested onboard. It's comforting to know this information. Did you have to notify the ship in advance that you required this testing?

I didnt have to (I found out later) but I did so I felt better about going.

Jancruz1

Archived