Water Shoes and the western Caribbean?

bluenoser2

We're doing a cruise on the Dream next March. Are water shoes a must, or just depending on what excursions you go on? And....are they easy to pick up in Cocoa Beach for cheap - I have a feeling we're not going to be finding them anywhere locally now that summer is over.

I brought them on our Eastern Carribean cruise last year and was so glad that I did. I wore them on every port day, because we went snorkeling and to beaches and I didn't want to step on anything on accident with bare feet! But that's just me! I also could not find them because it was fall. I just did a quick google search online and found many places to order them online. I ended up getting a nice Speedo brand pair for $10.

We're doing a cruise on the Dream next March. Are water shoes a must, or just depending on what excursions you go on? And....are they easy to pick up in Cocoa Beach for cheap - I have a feeling we're not going to be finding them anywhere locally now that summer is over.

In my opinion, it depends on what you're doing excursion-wise. We definitely wore and needed them for climbing Dunns River Falls in Jamaica, and for cave-tubing in Belize. Other than that, No, I do not take them, nor do I like wearing them. We got some cheapies at WallyWorld, maybe that's why I don't like them, cause they're kinda ugly. :o

Hi,

I purchased my watershoes aboard ship (Size 12, they do have them!)

I either wore them or packed them anywhere we went.

Beaches=hot, hot sand! Watershoes..............ahhhh, relief!

The only place that I could not use them, was in Grand Cayman on a "feed the stingrays" excursion!:eek: It is okay for them to sting you if you step on one, but the watershoes could harm them.

Lee

I LOVE mine....have used them for yrs even when not on a cruise. I have the rubber "jelly" ones that are made by sketcher and they are great. Use them around the pool, on and off the cruise, when we did horseback riding in Mexico and will use them on the dolphin and stingray excursions in Dec.

Google them and you might find a great deal. We got the water sox for my son and his wife for their honeymoon and they used them at Dunn's River Falls and horseback riding as well as at the beach/pool in Jamaica.

I wore my keens cave tubing in Belize and they were fine. Even with hiking through the rain forest for about an hour first. They wore so well the first that that I'm wearing them when I go cave tubing again in Belize in December.

Check out swimoutlet.com. I wanted new water shoes for our upcoming Western itinerary cruise and found some on there that were more like tennis shoes. I didn't want the flimsy, rubber kind. Wanted something with more support. Found some for a decent price and they were shipped quickly. They had a good selection to choose from.

Hubby and I are considering cavetubing in Belize. Our Keens are ok for this, right?? They won't get ruined, will they?

I have used my Keens several times on cruises--particularly while tubing and they are specifically made to withstand abuse. They do not smell afterwards, either. You should be fine!

Thanks Anjanu, for your response. I know we should put this on the Belize board...but which company are you going cave tubing with?? and who have you been with??

We just went with cave-tubing.com It is (no matter whom you book with, I would imagine) a strenuous hike (not a walk). The guys that did our tour were wonderful. They were constantly with us. They never let us off on our own to make sure we were safe and were always wanting to make sure we were having a good time.

They even opened Cashew wine on our trip over there to the caves. Plus it's about 1/2 price of the ship's excursion last time I checked.

We bought a cheap pair from Wally World for our Western itinerary and were really glad we did. I used them for snorkeling in Belize and also used them around Xcaret (underwater river and walking around the park). They kept my feet from getting scratched up and kept me from stepping on things.

Check you local wally world for some cheap clearance...They were there last week in our stores...I think I paid 50 cent last year this time, for our Dream cruise, best part. for 50 cents you don't have to pack those wet sandy things home if you don't want to.

I packed four pair last year, intending on using them for swimming with the dolphins. Got there, had to take them off before entering the water. Didn't need them in any other port. I say forget it. Most popular beaches have smooth sand, and I've not encountered "burning my feet" hot sand in my travels thus far that a pair of flip flops wouldn't cover. Packing space these days, in the age of luggage weight limits and per-bag baggage fees, is at a premium. I doubt I'll ever even consider buying any again.

Archived