A different kind of birth certificate/boarding drama....

Christine in MO

I am 56 and I never needed my BC until 6 years ago when I took my first cruise. I am sure that my parents needed it when I first started school, but other than that there was never a need.

If you ever got a marriage license there would have been a need

also, if there was a requirement to have working papers when you where 16yo you needed..also to get a Driver's License at whatever age

and of course,believe it or not...you need it when you apply to collect social security...in addition to a second form.

I recently got my B/C because I needed it to prove my age...52....I had no idea where the original was...the one I know I used for a Marriage License...so for $10 bucks, I got a new one...took 10 minutes. The B/C was in addition to another form of ID...Passport or License.

I recently changed my name because I got married. I had to go the the SS office with my filed marriage license and my SS card. They changed it then I took my marriage license to the revenue office which is where they issue the DLs in my state. Changed it there as well. In the South, many women do drop their middle names and go by First Maiden Married. For the reasons mentioned and because in the South, genealogy is a big deal and it makes it easier to trace. For my monograms and such I do use First Middle Married.

I never used my birth certificate to get a marriage license or to change any of my legal documents.

When I got got married I dropped my original middle name in favor of my maiden name. I now use First Maiden Married. I was told there was no problem with doing this, and I had no problem with getting my DL and SS changed. I think I had to present the marriage certificate.

When I got my passport two years ago I presented my DL with First Maiden Married and my birth certificate with First Middle Maiden, and no questions were asked at all.

My original middle name was "Ruth". Since I dropped it I'm now Ruth-less :)

I know this doesn't answer your question but I keep seeing people post wrong information bout a Certificate of Live Birth. I was concerned about about this as well so I contacted the Office of Vital Statisics to request a certified birth certificate. They sent me a raised seal Certificate of Live Birth, that is all the state of Michigan sends out now so still being concerned I went to the passport office to obtain a passport and they said in fact this is common in many states and it is a Certified Birth Certificate. In fact the used it to get my passport. I believe the one you are referring to is the hospital record the one that has you footprint, it is not a Certified Birth Certificate. Hope this helps others.

When I got got married I dropped my original middle name in favor of my maiden name. I now use First Maiden Married. I was told there was no problem with doing this, and I had no problem with getting my DL and SS changed. I think I had to present the marriage certificate.

When I got my passport two years ago I presented my DL with First Maiden Married and my birth certificate with First Middle Maiden, and no questions were asked at all.

My original middle name was "Ruth". Since I dropped it I'm now Ruth-less :)

passport can be obtained with DL and BC....Social Security office asked for proof of name change...which is proven by the Marriage License.

Regardless, of local customs....one should have their Marriage License handy...because it will be needed for women should they need to...replace a DL that was stolen..not lost..stolen...so say it was lost if you know what is good for you...and when it comes time to apply to Social Security under your husband's name...if you choose to.

BTW...the SS office is not always correct...I was told I was wrong twice by agents that felt the were totally correct...I told them they were mistaken...they said I was wrong...and viola...guess who was right?:D

FWIW...Dh is 62 and we have minor kids...which means I get a check as well...as their guardian...and I am not anywhere near 62:)..a bit younger.

All that aside...and regardless of never "needing" these documents...the Marriage License and original B/c or Naturalization Papers will become your best friends at some point in your life......do not disregard their importance......along with a Passport.

I recently changed my name because I got married. I had to go the the SS office with my filed marriage license and my SS card. They changed it then I took my marriage license to the revenue office which is where they issue the DLs in my state. Changed it there as well. In the South, many women do drop their middle names and go by First Maiden Married. For the reasons mentioned and because in the South, genealogy is a big deal and it makes it easier to trace. For my monograms and such I do use First Middle Married.

I never used my birth certificate to get a marriage license or to change any of my legal documents.

In many states a B/C is required to get a M/L...to prove age of consent..:D

Not sure how that works in Arkansas though:D

my suggestion is that if it gets too close to the departure date and the papers may not be in order, you may want to call carnival and explain the situation. they may be able to change your sailing to a sailing that does not leave the USA. you may also consider putting off the trip. the last thing you want to happen is for her to be detained at customs. a fate no one deserves.

My mom told me every person needs a birth certificate in order to get death certificate issued. Everyone needs to have an accurate birth certificate.

My email I just received from Carnival clarified a birth certificate issued by vital statistics.

U.S. Citizens, we suggest you bring your passport, but for other acceptable travel documents, see below or visit us at Carnival.com. If you are a Non-U.S. citizen, please consult your travel agent or consulate.

* Passport Card

* Original or suitable (legible) quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the Department of Vital Statistics)

* Certificate of Naturalization

* Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

* Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

* A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Copies of the following will NOT be allowed:

* U.S. Passports

* Naturalization Papers

Originals, nor copies, of the following will NOT be allowed:

* Baptismal Certificates

* Hospital "Certificate of Birth"

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.

My mom told me every person needs a birth certificate in order to get death certificate issued. Everyone needs to have an accurate birth certificate.

My email I just received from Carnival clarified a birth certificate issued by vital statistics.

U.S. Citizens, we suggest you bring your passport, but for other acceptable travel documents, see below or visit us at Carnival.com. If you are a Non-U.S. citizen, please consult your travel agent or consulate.

* Passport Card

* Original or suitable (legible) quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the Department of Vital Statistics)

* Certificate of Naturalization

* Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

* Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

* A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Copies of the following will NOT be allowed:

* U.S. Passports

* Naturalization Papers

Originals, nor copies, of the following will NOT be allowed:

* Baptismal Certificates

* Hospital "Certificate of Birth"

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.

There you go...proving the need for a PP for your kids!:) Children 16 and over need photo ID. So if they don't drive...which most do not..nor have a driver's permit...what do you use...a school ID:eek:..you know those things that can be easily forged to make one appear older:rolleyes:...Nope..a PP is your answer!!

My mom had never gotten a birth certificate either. she had gotten socoal security and drivers license with the wrinkled paper stating she was born. she was born at home and it was never recorded. we made it a point to get her a passport and it was an ordeal. i say start early. I had to make three trips to the court records section and they found school records where she was in school and cencus records that her mom had recorderd her birthdate and signed it. i was able to get a official birthcertificate without signtures on it. it looked official. no doctor had signed it. after three attempts to get the passport with it finally a person took it and guess what, it came back at the state level. they would not accecpt it. i had paid 15.00 to get it and it looked official with the seal and everything. it just was not signed because no doctor ever ceritified her birth.

I finally wrote a letter begging and i sent it back and stated we simply were trying to take my mom on a cruise. i had provided the three proofs of her being born, i finally got her a passport.

She remembers her mom and the local preacher going to court to get her into scool when she was 6. that was when the wrinkled paper came into works. That was all she ever needed until time to get a passport. Yes she is about to go on her third cruise. passport stays in lockbox protected....

This thread caught my eye because just today I was going through my safe and was looking at my sons birth certificates. On my youngest sons it has mothers name as Reginald. Um, his mother is Regina. LOL. Suppose I better get that corrected for future reference.

Gina

This thread caught my eye because just today I was going through my safe and was looking at my sons birth certificates. On my youngest sons it has mothers name as Reginald. Um, his mother is Regina. LOL. Suppose I better get that corrected for future reference.

Gina

Absolutely. It's much easier to get stuff corrected when time isn't of the essence. You never know what will make a difference in the future so get it corrected.

Custom or no, your legal name remains First Middle Maiden Married, unless you go to court & change it. Of course, my mom had to go against tradition after she married & dropped her given first name, so the name she used after marriage was Middle Maiden Married. :eek:

That's what my daughter should have done. Just dropped the Mary.

I recently changed my name because I got married. I had to go the the SS office with my filed marriage license and my SS card. They changed it then I took my marriage license to the revenue office which is where they issue the DLs in my state. Changed it there as well. In the South, many women do drop their middle names and go by First Maiden Married. For the reasons mentioned and because in the South, genealogy is a big deal and it makes it easier to trace. For my monograms and such I do use First Middle Married. I never used my birth certificate to get a marriage license or to change any of my legal documents.

This is so funny that you mentioned the monogram. That was one of the reasons my daughter chose to drop her maiden name. She says that her monograms would look better.

Hmm, I was married in the south and used my first, middle, married name -dropped my maiden name. Never have heard of using your maiden name as your middle name once married :confused: Maybe I'm just different :D

Then I moved to the west :eek:, came to my senses and divorced the cheating SOB and changed it back. :D

To each their own. My boyfriend's brother actually took on his wife's last name and hyphenated it with his, so they both have the exact same last name without having to give up their own identity. Kind of a cool idea.

This is why I don't get that they still let people travel with a birth certificate and a driver's license.... /quote]

Because Carnival doesn't like to deny boarding to people when they show up with insufficient proof of citizenship.

They're getting tougher in San Diego though (finally !)

My mom told me every person needs a birth certificate in order to get death certificate issued.

My father recently passed away and all they required was information we gave to the funeral home over the phone. They never had any paperwork from us, we had the death certificate before we even found his birth certificate.

raised seal - state seal - watermark all the same.

NO-because so many of these posts state that your birth certificate must have a raised seal in order to be valid. This IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE. So no, not "all the same."

I can't help but wonder why she never had the need for her birth certificate before age 60. Im 57 and had to have birth certificate to start school, get a driver's license, get a marriage license, etc. Did she not ever have to produce a birth certificate for any of those or other reasons?????:confused:

This is Christine's mother no is the anwer to all your questions! Never needed a BC for school, never needed one for both driver licenses (lived in MO then moved to IL), never needed one for both marriages nor did I did one for my job of 37 years which was a government job.(LOL) I can't believe I haven't needed one all my life too, but it true.

^^^^Hmm, interesting.

I had thought all states required birth certificate for DL so that your age would be verified - you must be 16 to get the DL, so how would they know if you are? You can just say, "hey, trust me, I'm 16" in those states?

My mother was requested to show a marriage certificate-which she did not have. She fortunately got by showing a combination of birth certificate with maiden name, old government ID with married name #1, drivers license with married name #2, and receipt from ordering her passport which did not arrive in time for the cruise. She also had several other photo IDs with both married names but only the certificate had the maiden name on it. It was a hassle but she got onboard, then my MIL had the same issue and they just didn't even go there with her...she got on only with her birth certificate in one name and ID in another. She just needed my mom to tire the girl out! Neither one had any trouble getting back into the US. It was much harder getting out.

if she's getting it from a government office then it will NOT be the certificate of live birth, that only comes from the hospital where one is born.

but i wanted to say to the OP. the mispelling may not be an issue so if you don't have the corrected one, go with what you have, but bring a copy of her marriage certificate for the name difference on her drivers license!

if she's getting it from a government office then it will NOT be the certificate of live birth, that only comes from the hospital where one is born.

but i wanted to say to the OP. the mispelling may not be an issue so if you don't have the corrected one, go with what you have, but bring a copy of her marriage certificate for the name difference on her drivers license!

My certified birth cert says "certificate of live birth"

My hospital certificate says "certificate of birth"

Archived