Am I headed for a divorce??

Help!! DH and I, who usually cruise alone, have just booked a cruise for the whole family (we are newlyweds but we have 5 teenage children from his first marriage). We figured that since the children are all older and self-sufficient, we could save some $$ by booking one Grand Suite for us all to hang out in, plus an inside cabin for three of the five kids to sleep in.

Sounds great, until I found out that RCI will NOT allow you to book a cabin with nobody 21 or older in it (our oldest is 20). Carnival will waive that rule for children traveling with their parents in a separate cabin, but apparently RCI does not. "No problem," they said, "we'll just book your husband in the inside cabin and another kid in the suite, and then you can switch back once on board." So that's what we did.

But now, it's occuring to me that whereas I am booked in a suite, DH is booked in "steerage." :p Is this going to mean that I will be eligible for the perks but he will not? Can we all check in together? Have I just introduced the injustices of a class-based society into my happy home? LOL

Your experiences/thoughts are appreciated. :)

Think you can switch the sail & sign cards that allow you use of all the "perks". Since the other cabin is holding your "children" even though they are probably more adult, they should be able to go thru the whole process with you at the suite check-in. Usually the don't allow other cabins to do that but you are a family traveling with kids. Have a wonderful time, you will learn just how close a family can become that's for sure!

If you decide to go the divorce route you need to keep in mind that they do have singles parties on the ship.......:D

Oh that's right, I forgot . . . see, I was worrying for nothing! :p

Seriously, though . . . I'm glad to hear that they will let us check in as a family. I guess that anything else that matters, I can take care of myself. And it's true that we can always have DH and DS switch cards. Thanks folks!

Hi,

We had 6 people and did the GrandSuite/D1 balcony connecting rooms on the Mariner. Not only did we check in together but asked for extra card for each room. As far as concierge service, the key card got us into the lounge and to check out DVD's. So, don't worry and have a great time. Our room steward was great and got everyone bathrobes. You can ask for a rollaway for the GrandSuite too.

Have a great cruise!

The only disadvantage that I can see is that you will get 2 C&A cruise credits (for the suite) and your husband will only get 1 (for the inside). You'll get to Platinum/Diamond quicker :p

HAH!! Now that is funny, I hadn't even thought of that. Maybe we'd better return to the divorce scenario after all! ;)

HAH!! Now that is funny' date=' I hadn't even thought of that. Maybe we'd better return to the divorce scenario after all! ;)[/quote']

Of course you need to reconsider the divorce scenario. After all, you're staying in the Grand Suite. Why would you associate with a man from an inside cabin....;)

I can tell you from experience that RCCL would not let me put my 18 year old and a friend in a room across the hall from me. They were going to move me from my Grand Suite to an inside just to be able to let him get a room. As for the check in they let the inside room check in with the Grand Suite, since we were all traveling together.

Archived