Solstice MDR

CCTraveler

Have traveled on the Galaxy and Century in the past and have thoroughly enjoyed the food/service in the main dining. A group of us just recently returned from BTB cruise on the Millennium Alaska to San Diego (7 -17 Sep) and were completely dissatisfied with the food quality and service in the main dining. Ended up eating in the Olympic specialty restaurant for 13 of 17 nights in order to get a quality sit-down meal.

We are scheduled to cruise the Eastern Med in Sep 2011 on the Solstice and was wondering about comments on food/service in the main dining room. Not really inerested in spending the extra expense of having to eat in the specialty restuarants in order to get quality food/service. We are serously whether or not to coninue with plans for this cruise.

Any comments regarding food quality/service would be greatly appreciated.

Am considering 1st Alaska cruise on Millie - hm, what was wrong with food?

We've also been on Century & Solstice and were very satisfied with Main Dining Room. The new menus feature not-so-fancy cuts of meat. While on the Solstice a couple of years ago, there was filet mignon every night & the food was very upscale picture-taking quality. When on the Century this May, we found the new menus did not feature the same; however, the food was very good and the service was good, too. One night the chef special was turkey meatballs & pasta (it was fine) We are booked on the Eclipse (Solstice's sister ship) in Jan. So there won't be the more costly cuts of meat, but we are confident we will enjoy the food as we did on the Century -- there was sliced filet at the one lovely brunch. I hear that there is Lobster on one of the formal nights (though the small ones).

Personally tried the steak on 2 occasions and it was rubbery, tough and cool to warm at best. Others in the group tried various fish dishes which were smelly and/or cold. Service was extremely slow and trying to get a bottle of wine was worst than getting a tooth pulled. Asked assistant waiter for some additional bread and he came back with smart remark "I'll get it when I get a chance". Hopefully, was just a bad cruise and not the norm. Staff seemed to be extremely short staffed.

Hi,

I cruised on the Celebrity Solstice in late May and was pleased with the main dining room. I dined there six nights during the cruise (dined in the Tuscan Grille the remaining night) and enjoyed the food and service. The room is a little crowded (not much space between the tables in some areas) but the room is stunning. I dined at a large table in the middle of the room (traditional, second seating) and liked the view.

The Solstice is a wonderful ship. In fact, after praising this ship so much, my parents, my brother and his family decided to book an 11-day Mediterranean cruise on the Equinox (the Solstice's sister) for next year.

I am going to cruise aboard the Celebrity Summit next month. Thus, I have no complaints concerning Celebrity.

Chuck

there will continue to be a decline in service as long as we all continue to clamor for more anytime dining, tables for 2 and give our precious dollars to eat in a specialty restaurant. Yes the specialty restaurants sound nice but what incentive is there for any of cruise lines to maintain the highest quality and variety of menu items if passengers willngly flock to the specialty restaurants? As far as service, you cannot expect the same level of service from the dining room staff when they have different passengers every night at their tables, they never get to know your preferences and have to deal with more frequent table turnover just like in a restaurant. Also, as more diners opt for tables for 2, that adds to the servers chores and spreads them more thinly. Instead of 1 table of 8, they may have to serve 4 tables of 2-- which do you think is easier for them? Tables are crowded in?? Of course they are-- instead of 1 table for 8, they need to squeeze in 4 tables of 2 in the same space.

As long as passengers want anytime dining and to sit at tables for 2, and patronize the specialty restaurants, service and food quality will suffer. Soon cruiseships will be just a floating hotel and a mere vestige of their glory days. I also agree with a poster on another thread that within a few short years, every cruise line will be "casual" and the only clothing threads will be "can I wear my bathing suit in the MDR"?:rolleyes:

Hi,

This is part of the reason that I always choose traditional dining. I enjoy having the same tablemates and staff members each night. I always request a large table. This is one of my favorite aspects of cruising. Also, I am a big fan of Cunard (which still only has traditional seating in the dining room).

Chuck

We were on Solstice two weeks ago and ate in the MDR three nights (our group decided in advance to eat in specialty dining most nights ... we budget for that instead of shore excursions). On the three nights everyone was very happy with their meal EXCEPT for one night when a couple at our table had the Rib Eye Steak with blackening. Neither liked the steak or the seasoning. But other meals were very good.

I will say that we thought they seemed a bit short staffed in the MDR. Service wasn't bad, but it wasn't superb. But then again, we only ate there sporadically and I don't think our servers had much opportunity to get to know us or our wants/preferences.

I disagree with Leesie6351 in that I see nothing wrong with allowing personal choice. In my opinion, food quality and service have fallen because we all demand low low low fares. We'd be perfectly happy to spend more on our fare if it meant that food quality and service were maintained. You could tack an extra 30% on to our fare and we would still sail Celebrity.

Leesie6351 hit the bulls eye. The nickel-and-diming trend within cruising is snowballing. So many formerly complimentary items now carry a fee.

Yes, I fully appreciate that it is 2010 and costs for the cruise lines have gone up. However, I am fairly certain that in the "good old days," the steamship companies maintained the same profit margins.

I would rather pay a couple of hundred dollars more upfront then be "goosed" with a guest check when I order a small pleasantry.

My point here is the same many have made vis-a-vis prepaid gratuities. When a staffer knows their tip has been paid before they so much as make a single bed or pour a cup of coffee, all but the most dedicated (again, this is 2010 where dedication has been redefined by many) will not go the extra mile.

The almighty $$$ has and always will be the best motivation when service above and beyond is your hot button.

We were on the Solstice Aug 1 sailing. We ate in the MDR every night. This is unusual for us--on past cruises on other lines we've always tried the specialty restaurants. This was our first Celebrity, and absolutely felt no need to try one of the other restaurants. We had a great waiter--Michael. Sat at a table for 2 (our original reservation was for a table for 8-10), wound up sitting next to another couple that we just hit it off right away. I thought the food was excellent. The only "bad" meal I had was the salmon--I should have sent it back but I didn't, so that's my fault. I loved the grandeur of the MDR experience--we were in the middle of the main floor, so I had a great view of the whole room. I am sure you will have an enjoyable experience.

I was on Solstice about a year ago, in a standard balcony cabin. We loved the main dining room. We had a big table in the middle of the room and had a great time, with food that we really enjoyed. We also had a meal in Muranos, and although the food was very good we just didn't enjoy the experience. We've come the view that we're just not 'fine diners'.

Here's what I wrote in my blog at the time about the MDR, and here's an account of our Muranos experience.

Personally tried the steak on 2 occasions and it was rubbery, tough and cool to warm at best. Others in the group tried various fish dishes which were smelly and/or cold. Service was extremely slow and trying to get a bottle of wine was worst than getting a tooth pulled. Asked assistant waiter for some additional bread and he came back with smart remark "I'll get it when I get a chance". Hopefully, was just a bad cruise and not the norm. Staff seemed to be extremely short staffed.

We were on the Vancouver to San Diego with you and I have to agree service was slow and the food not so good and I agree staff seemed overworked and very tired. I know our room steward had 26 rooms to do and it took several tries by friends that we were traveling with just to get towels in the bathroom.

In total agreement with NJ Fred - we also would rather pay a few hundred more and have the level of service and quality of the food remain high - Our first cruise on the Century about 8 years ago was amazing - food terrific, waiters waiting in line to take trays at the lunch buffet, etc. We are loyal Celebrity cruisers but want don't want to see a decline in what is delivered.

Archived