The "Today Show" Germ Check

HeatherInFlorida

From what I saw, they said the ship came out pretty good compared to some of their other tests.

And that's a point that many people will miss. With all the talk about the norovirus, it's easy to overlook the fact that ships are among the cleanest environments anywhere.

In an effort to keep from spreading germs from one passenger to another, the Capitan on the Statendam last year did not shake hands with people who came to his reception. Later, he explained to people why he did not shake their hands and emphasized the importance of frequently washing our hands and how to do it properly. I really appreciated his stand. And I am glad to say, neither DW nor I got sick.

I agree, Jim, and that's one of the reasons I started the thread with this observation:

Actually, they found the ship was pretty darn clean and certainly had no more germs than any other public place where people congregate.

Unfortunately, the media just love to hop on this kind of story and blow it out of all proportion like the "year of the sharks". It's been found there were no more shark bites that year than any other, but the media wouldn't let go of it.

I'm not saying it isn't a concern, but there are germs everywhere.

Glad to hear that! I've worked in some stations that were [gag] and even [worse gag]. I figure that, by this time, I'm probably immune to almost any disease known to science.

Maybe that's what is lacking in this sanitized world we now live in. People just live in too clean surroundings. Never get a chance to build up their immune system. They just keep washing, washing, and on and on....

Remember those oldendays?? The single seater outhouse never had any "Angel Soft". Wash your hands afterwards?? Are you kidding?? Where?? No running water in the house.. Cisterne was too far away. Could always use the creek if you were lucky enough to have one on the property. If the creek was frozen over, just be sure not to use the yellow snow...

Nowadays, see a kid drop a FF on floor at Mcd's, and mom will pick it up and lay it aside. She should make kid pick it up and eat it....builds up the immune system.....If it lost some it's ketchup, just add some more....it's free....plus it helps build up the immune system....And when you bring all those FF to the table, just dump'em right on. If the table is dirty, so much the better....it helps build up the immune system....

And of course, if you have dessert, choose the apple pies....you can eat them with your hands.....helps build up the immune system.....

Happy cruising....

In an effort to keep from spreading germs from one passenger to another, the Capitan on the Statendam last year did not shake hands with people who came to his reception. Later, he explained to people why he did not shake their hands and emphasized the importance of frequently washing our hands and how to do it properly. I really appreciated his stand. And I am glad to say, neither DW nor I got sick.

In many cultures shaking hands is a bit taboo.

I don't shake hands with people anymore, unless it would be extremely socially awkward. I just tell people that due to the ease of germ transmission, I don't shake hands. I get some weird looks, but most people take it in stride. I work in a hospital and am constantly washing my hands, so I certainly understand the importance of doing so. Getting sick due to social politeness, just isn't worth it to me.

Well my DH says he must have the strongest ammune system there is cause he drops food on the floor, picks it up and eats it, saying why waste good food! He is one of the healthiest people I know, in 27 years at his job he only missed 22 days work due to his own illness! Lots more due to me and the kids but we wont go there, we dont eat food off the floor lol :)

Happened to be tuned into a local late night local radio show two nights ago when the local talk host interviewed a micro-biologist regarding flu viruses, bacteria, etc. Guy interviewed had been on a cross country air flight with wife last year (DW also a scientist). When the flight steward brought out the bag of peanuts and pop, the couple reached for their on-board trays and began wondering what germs might be lurking there.

Seems the microbiologist had his specimen kit with him. Took swabs of the airplane tray, seat coverings and even went into the airplane bathroom to take swabs. Took them to their home lab and cultered them and said people would not believe what they found. He discovered there was even TB bacteria on his airplane tray.

While cruise ships swab their decks and everything else imaginable daily to rid the ship of germs and bacteria, airlines don't have the time between flights to do the same. One person's germs can live on within the confines of the seat and snack tray for a day, infecting all who use it.

Cruise passengers can travel by plane to a port, become ill on a ship and then blame the ship line for their illness when they actually picked up their pesky germ on the airplane that carried them to the port of debarkation.

Next time you reach your hands up to pull down your tray to embide the small drink and pack of pretzels offered on your airplane flightdrink, think of this post.

I'll be on my next air flight on my way to a cruise in two weeks and believe me, I'm going to be thinking about it from the time I get inside that airplane until my feet and hands are exiting the aircraft.

Dianne

Wow! I'm one of those that takes anti-bacterial wipes and Lysol spray to all hotels and ship cabins and goes to town cleaning before the family can unpack and relax. Never thought about pulling them out of my bag on a plane. Better believe I will now. Better safe than sorry. It's also a mental thing for me. If I wipe it down, I don't worry as much about the germs even though I know there is no way I zapped them all. yes, my DH and kids think I am a little crazy. I can live with that...

As someone who has been in the media for about 46 years, I'm firmly of the opinion that before the "Today" show starts inspecting germs on cruise ships, it should take a look at germs in media newsrooms, lunch rooms and work places.

I worked at a newspaper where we had to shake out our coats to give the cockroaches a chance to run out before we put them on. The whole place was a roach motel. Of course, we never talked about that in our exposes of everybody else.

At my first radio job, we all used the same coffee mugs and stirred the stuff with the extra-soft newsroom editing pencils. That explained all the concentric circles on the bottom of the mugs.

I'm glad they found some germs on a cruise ship. Now, in the interest of fairness, I think the Coast Guard and CDC should do a surprise inspection of the "Today" studios and see what they turn up.

Fair enough, folks?

The Today Show did indeed use the germ doctor guy to test their studio and offices as part of their week-long segment on germs. One day they did the streets, subways, taxis, and escalators, another day they did inside the Today Show studios. The entire week's segment was really quite fascinating.

I have a 5-second "blow the germs off" rule for food. As long as nobody has stepped on it and there is nothing visible moving, it's ok. If you could see some of the places I've worked in, you'll know why I've probably been innoculated (and why I never get anything, not even a cold). I've taken two sick days in my life, IIRC, and both were disability-related, not illness-related.

Wish I got up early enough to see the segments. I'm sure our favorite moving objects were the cleanest.

The last flight I was on, the man next to me changed his baby's diaper, put it on the tray able and finally excused himself to dispose of it about 10 minutes later!!! I had never given much thought to tray tables but am certainly aware of them now!!!!

We were on a cruise to Bermuda in Sept. and caught the edge of Tropical Storm Nicole on the way. The Capt. slowed the ship and stayed to the edge of it, but the seas were very rough. Half the ship was hanging over the rail or in the bathroom and there were little bags lining the hall. We were thrilled to discover we didn't get seasick. We went to the Lido pool when the waters calmed and I decided to try the hot tub -- something I rarely do (almost never, in fact). I had just leaned into the jets when something floated by in the water. I asked my DH..what's that? He said, "you don't want to know".. and I immediately got out of the tub. Guess someone used the hottub instead of a little bag. I know this is disgusting, but it really happened. The amazing thing is that I did not get sick. Taking a shower after using a pool or hot tub must help a great deal.

An article of interest..

http://record.wustl.edu/web/page/normal/1563.html

We were aboard the Veendam Jan 15:29 when so many people got sick. The CDC was on board and answered some questions.. one of the doctors stated that Indonesian/Philippino staff were less likely to catch the NLV because of better immune systems. My doctor once said that because fewer of us have been on farms in youth.. we are less resistant to some common ailments..

Do a google search on deaths in hot tubs... even walking close to the hot tubs can be dangerous if you are prone to breathing problems..

Watch the movie.. Osmosis Jones with Bill Murray...

My doctor once said that because fewer of us have been on farms in youth.. we are less resistant to some common ailments..

This is so interesting! Because I grew up in the country, and while we didn't farm, we did rent our barn to the farmer next door and had cows and chickens, etc. And I often visited the farms in the area.

And I rarely get sick ... sometimes a cold, but it rarely turns to anything more serious. That would be interesting if there's a connection.

I always wipe down the airplane trays with antibacterial wipes. Don't use their pillows or blankets and try never use the bathroom.

Just this last year, we had a little boy in our town die from e-coli that they think he got from either the hot tub or pool.

Last night, my mother told me that a man I know has developed a mysterious bone marrow infection. They traced it back to a hot tub usage he had three weeks ago. I don't know if he had a cut or how the infection got to the bone, but makes you worry.

My Dad loves to get in the hot tub as it helps with his back. We were all going to join him on the Oosterdam next week. :eek: With the "O" getting 100% and all the media exposure about the hot tubs, hopefully, their hot tubs will be cleaned and watched carefully.

"15 February 2002

Shopper killed by bug from hot tub

By Matthew Beard

A man who inhaled spray from an outdoor hot tub during a shopping trip to a garden centre died within days from Legionnaires' disease, an inquest heard yesterday.

Roger Russell, 61, was invited by a salesman to dip his hand into the spa as it was switched to full power and jets blasted him with a mist containing the lethal bug.

Mr Russell, a father of four, fell ill two days later but it was not until he was taken to hospital after 17 days that doctors diagnosed the condition. He died from multiple organ failure as a result of the disease, caused by the legionella bacterium.

Environmental health officers were alerted and after talking to his wife, Wendy, 59, they investigated the £5,000 spa he was shown at Merlin Timber Products at Longacres Nursery in Bagshot, Surrey. Samples they took showed that the bacteria was still in the water more than three weeks after Mr Russell, a psychiatric nurse, had visited."

I was nursed for almost my first year (lots of antibodies), did lots of gardening as a kid (probably exposed to all kinds of things), lived on a farm for a year with all that goes with farming (and I mean all), have part-timed in a school for 30 years (exposed to every germ known to anybody) and have attended only one religious denomination in my life (thus practicing safe sects). Maybe that's why I'm never, ever sick from anything.

This is so interesting! Because I grew up in the country, and while we didn't farm, we did rent our barn to the farmer next door and had cows and chickens, etc. And I often visited the farms in the area.

And I rarely get sick ... sometimes a cold, but it rarely turns to anything more serious. That would be interesting if there's a connection.

DH & I both grew up on farms in Central Ohio. We don't seem to get colds, flu, etc. as much as others our age do here in the urban area we now live. We are 58, grew up in the farmlands in the /50s and '60s when few farm families could afford medical insurance and lived a 20-30-minute drive from the family doctor's office.

When we caught a cold, we dealt with it. Flu? We just waited it out with chicken soup, blankets and aspirin. Only prescribed drugs we took as children was penicillen for things that couldn't be handled with chicken soup and aspirin. Took our vaccines for polio, MMRP, etc. - but weren't run to the doctor's office for an antibiotic every time we got sick.

Lived around chickens, cows, pigs, garden dirt, potential botulism, ate cracked eggs, played in the chicken yards, rolled in the dirt - you name it, all our lives. Have never had one family member die of botulism, bird flu, mad cow disease or salmonela (sp) poisoning from cracked eggs.

Perhaps families who live on farms built up an immunity to some diseases because they are exposed to bacteria and germs but not rushed to the doctor every time they sneeze or cough. Fewer antibiotics in our system - better internal antibodies to ward off the diseas?

Only my theory. Works for me.

Dianne

Archived