Nova Scotia B&B

celle

Hi all,

We are planning to spend about 10 days in Nova Scotia after our New York to Quebec cruise next September.

We would like to hire a car and do a self-drive tour.

Can anyone tell me if we would need to book accommodation in advance at that time of year, or if we would be able to find accommodation on a day-to-do basis, once we arrive?

We would prefer B&B, but would also consider hotels and motels.

The answer is that it depends. This question gets asked all the time on the Nova Scotia Trip Advisor forum (which you should check out).

September is shoulder season with fewer tourist. If you want to be flexible you will find places to stay, but they may not be the best places or in the best location. You should try to phone ahead each day once you know where you want to stop. Have your research done with your list of possibilities. You can also phone toll free 1 800 565 0000

However, if you are not too fussy you will be OK. a couple years ago my husband and I went to Cape Breton to drive around the Cabot Trail. We had no reservation but were able to find a place in Cheticamp. This was in October which is busier than September because of the autumn leaves and the Celtic Colours festival.

Here is a great source of information: http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Your bigger problem is going to be trying to choose where to go. You do not have time to go everywhere.

The answer is that it depends. This question gets asked all the time on the Nova Scotia Trip Advisor forum (which you should check out).

September is shoulder season with fewer tourist. If you want to be flexible you will find places to stay, but they may not be the best places or in the best location. You should try to phone ahead each day once you know where you want to stop. Have your research done with your list of possibilities. You can also phone toll free 1 800 565 0000

However, if you are not too fussy you will be OK. a couple years ago my husband and I went to Cape Breton to drive around the Cabot Trail. We had no reservation but were able to find a place in Cheticamp. This was in October which is busier than September because of the autumn leaves and the Celtic Colours festival.

Here is a great source of information: http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Your bigger problem is going to be trying to choose where to go. You do not have time to go everywhere.

Thank you for such helpful advice. I'll be reading Trip Advisor for days!

I always plan ahead (with a lot of study) and book in advance. I prefer renting cottages to B & B's but there are minimum stays. If you really want to be footloose, you could go ahead without reservations, but I like having a plan.

The cottages all included a kitchen with basic equipment, a bit of coffee and tea but no food. I enjoy doing my own food shopping and making our own breakfasts and some dinners. Not opposed to eating out.

We rented a cottage on the Bay of Fundy at West Advocate that was a wonderful experience. There are several listed for that area. It had 2 bedrooms, one bathroom, a kitchen and living area (upstairs for the view) and the owners lived nearby and were very friendly and helpful.

If you are going to be in the Lunenburg area, I HIGHLY recommend the Edgewater B&B, which is located in Mahone Bay:

http://www.bbcanada.com/116.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499230-d292387-Reviews-Edgewater_Bed_Breakfast-Mahone_Bay_Nova_Scotia.html

Paul and Susan are wonderful hosts and it's a great B&B.

Nova Scotia has the best guide Doers and Dreamers with great maps and info about accommodations, what to see, etc. etc. - have them send you a copy for free. I don't have the 1-800 # handy, but it's on the Nova Scotia tourism site

Our absolute favourite place to stay is the Normaway Inn in the Margaree Valley of Cape Breton Highlands - It's worth timing your travel plans around their traditional Three Fiddler concerts in the barn (I think Friday nights) - the Island's (and I think world's) best performers show up and perform.

www.thenormawayinn.com

Archived