Travel agent put me in a "group" reservation

dixie54

I didn't know that they put me in a group reservation. I suggested the friends we will be traveling with to also book with this agency. They booked with them to and were in an "individual" reservation. over the weekend I was able to select the time for MTD and was able to link their 3 reservations together. I couldn't link mine because I was in a "group." I am sure it will work out, but I am mad that they put me in a "group" and did not tell me!

You will most likely get perks that the others won't, so you shouldn't be mad. You can still get linked for the reservations that should not matter. If you are unable to do it, call the TA and have them do it. You also most likely get better pricing.

Well, my friend booked the same day with the same TA company got the same OBC and booked a lower category cabin. She is booked as an "Individual". thanks

they most likely didn't have the lower category in a the group space and it may have been on restrictions to move it into the group space. They may also have move the "individuals" into the group space later and you all don't even realize it, it is NOT a big deal

Sue, well I feel I have less control of my reservation in a group booking. I was told I could get price drops until final payment. Will that still apply in a "group" booking? It was very disconcerting to be able to link the other 3 cabins together over the weekend and not be able to link mine, because I was in a "group" :)! I am the one who organized this cruise:).

Sue, well I feel I have less control of my reservation in a group booking. I was told I could get price drops until final payment. Will that still apply in a "group" booking? It was very disconcerting to be able to link the other 3 cabins together over the weekend and not be able to link mine, because I was in a "group" :)! I am the one who organized this cruise:).

Yes you can still get price drops, etc. You booked with a TA so you have the exact same amount of control over your booking. It is not a big deal. Many many times we use group space because we get perks not available to individual bookings so it is a benefit to the client, not a hindrance.

Yes you can still get price drops, etc. You booked with a TA so you have the exact same amount of control over your booking. It is not a big deal. Many many times we use group space because we get perks not available to individual bookings so it is a benefit to the client, not a hindrance.

Sue...it's a benefit to the client ONLY if the TA passes along any group perks to the client;).....thats up to the TA.

Sue...it's a benefit to the client ONLY if the TA passes along any group perks to the client;).....thats up to the TA.

If the TA is a good one and wants to keep the client, it is to his or her advantage to pass those group perks along. That kind of information gets out and it is hardly worth it to try to keep those perks from some clients and not all.

If the TA is a good one and wants to keep the client, it is to his or her advantage to pass those group perks along. That kind of information gets out and it is hardly worth it to try to keep those perks from some clients and not all.

Agreed:)but not a given. The OP needs to speak to the TA about any perks that might be part of the group, what they are and are they being passed on.

Sue, do you mean there will be additional perks because I am now in a group?

The advantage of a group booking is that RCI will offer incentives that can either be passed along to the customer or retained by the agency. Those incentives include onboard credit, gifts, a cocktail party, RCI logo items, etc. Or the agency can pocket the incentive as additional commission.

It sounds as if your TA gave you the incentive in the form of OBC, paid by RCI. Your friends' OBC may be paid by RCI or may be paid directly by the agency. I wouldn't expect any additional perks if nothing has been offered, though.

You have the same amount of control over your booking as you would if you were booked as an individual, which is to say very little.:p The agency "owns" all of the bookings and you'll have to go through them. I don't see any reason why they can't link you with your friends for dinner, though.

As for price drops, if RCI is offering them, the agency "should" honor the drop, but that depends on their policy - some agencies won't do it, although I don't know how they stay in business - non-CC cruisers, I guess.;)

Agreed:)but not a given. The OP needs to speak to the TA about any perks that might be part of the group, what they are and are they being passed on.

It depends on the number of GAP (group amenity points) assigned to the sail date whether or not there will be perks. Also, group leaders who work closely with the TA usually have control over how the points are used. For example if there are 2 points it could be a bottle of wine in each cabin or a $25.00 OBC. More points get totes, cocktail parties etc. If there is a TC (Tour Conductor credit - free berth) usually 1 for every 16 lower berth passengers the group leader or TA may decide how it is used. It usually reduces the cost to the group, or perhaps just to one guest, or a greedy TA will take it as commission. I have been in groups that got OBC, totebags, wine and a price reduction. The more off season a cruise is the more points usually assigned. Best perks were on Caribbean sailings in the middle of hurricane season. Worst were in Alaska in the summer when no points were offered. I always asked my TA if they had any groups and needed to fill the space. Always got dining assigned away from the group. They did not even know I was in their group and I never ran into any of them.

All good information above.

Also know that a group can be affiliated, but in many cases a "group" can merely indicate a block of cabins your TA (or perhaps a consortium that he/she may be part of) has reserved. That's what this sounds like. No negatives, and perhaps some positives.

You should be happy to be moved into a group. You'll probably get some OBC or a bottle of wine. You also probably got a better price an/or location. You still have all the same contol over your reservation. Don't worry about it. It happens all the time.

Sue - I have booked both ways and it's always better to be in with group for sure!

I just have to ask this after three years - how are you allowed to show a travel center in your posts?

Archived