Room Service Question

hyerpraise

Hello All,

We have two smaller kids so we will not subject dinner guest so having to sit with two squirmy kids. In saying this, can you order what is on the dinner menu for Room Service? If we went to the lido deck for dinner, would they have similar things than would be had in the main dining room?

Thanks,

M&C

The room service menu is different than what's available in the MDR. The Lido deck offers still other choices. Think about having your kids eat with Camp Carnival at least once so you can go to MDR. Most kids LOVE Camp Carnival and pretty much are happy doing their own thing there.

Take them for some test runs before the cruise and let them know what kind of behaviour is acceptable and not. I have no ideas as to their ages so this may or may not work. If you don't want to do the dining room at least go to the Lido - it is quicker and you can get what you want immediately. And if they can't handle or behave in the Lido - one of you can go grab food from the Lido and bring it back to the room. Room service is very limited. Good luck Camp Carnival is certain a great option as well.

You should reconsider skipping the MDR experience. The wait staff are very attentive and very good with kids. (My daughter LOVES "showtime.") There is a kids menu, and as a previous poster stated, you will be seated either at a table by yourselves or with another family with kids around the same ages.

Hello All,

We have two smaller kids so we will not subject dinner guest so having to sit with two squirmy kids. In saying this, can you order what is on the dinner menu for Room Service? If we went to the lido deck for dinner, would they have similar things than would be had in the main dining room?

Thanks,

M&C

I also would try talking to the MDR when you board the ship and ask for a table just for your family. I know they have smaller tables. I would go and have a good time, just bring something to the table to keep them busy. Also they will see you have smaller children, they can make your dinner time shorter if needed.

I agree with previous posters. The MDR is not the "steakhouse" that everyone is saying that children don't belong in. My children love going to the MDR and getting doted on. There is a kids menu in there, too, with a great Banana Split (or so I hear)!! The kids can order anythign they want from the adult menu or children's menu. You can always plan on going and if it isn't relaxing or enjoyable to you, then go to the Lido buffet.

We just got off of the Fantasy this morning. We were hesitant, but took our 14 month old DD in the MDR with us on the 1st night and she had a ball. The wait staff catered to her better than us. LOL. After the 1st night, we knew that all would be okay. We had anytime dining. She sat in a high chair and we did bring a small towel pet stuffed animal with us to keep her company. The hostess even carried her behind the hostess stand with her, let her help check in guests and seat them for a few minutes. Camp Carnival is wonderful as well. Take advantage of the babysitting service at night. It starts at 10 and is over at 3am. Every night, after the 1st when we took the baby there, she would clap her hands and talk away. She was so excited to go back night after night. In the MDR, if you ask, they will actually de-seed fruit for you and cut up the food for the children.

We had a couple of unruly kids and what we did was I would go to the MDR "we were sailing with other family" ordered four of the meals that were on the menu and had the server keep them in the covered containers that there are usually brought out in and borrowed a tray and brought them back to our room. Worked well for 4 of the 7 days for us.

Hello All,

Thanks,

M&C

If you don't want to subject people to your squirming kids, see if you can switch to Your Time Dining. But the Maitre D's usually do a good job of seating families with kids together.

Here is a link to the Kids menu. The kids menu is located within the Dinner Menu link on the left hand side.

Here is the link for the Other menus including room service.

The buffet will have similar items as the MDR. But there won't be as many (if any) of the appetizers as the MDR. There will be Prime Rib at the Carving station at the buffet on Elegant Night. I have had some better food at the buffet than at the MDR.

I saw the Camp kids at dinner one time at the buffet. They were having hot dogs, chicken fingers, fries and (for the parents:D) carrot and pea medley.

I believe that Carnival is a family cruise line and that kids should be welcomed in the MDR. You should feel free to go to the MDR and have a nice time. I would call Carnival and talk about your concerns and see if they can seat you with a family that has similarly aged children.

I do understand people not wanting kids in the Steakhouse, but the MDR is another story.

I know if you were sitting at my table with me and my DH we would absolutely love it! We would enjoy interacting with your children and with you and your spouse. We have 16 grandchildren ourselves and love being with kids. Children like to be included and IMO it is a great time to introduce them a elegant dining atmosphere. If you find it is not for you or them you can alway leave, (without being stuck with a huge dinner bill, I might add) . Better to leave a negative impression on fellow passenger that you will probably never see again, then on the boss and his wife at the Christmas family get together:p

Enjoy your cruise.

The lido buffet has mostly the same items as the MDR-just no lobster lobster night. And as an added bonus it is never busy at dinner like it is at lunch time.

We ate mostly in the lido on our Valor cruise a few weeks ago and I agree that it won't be too crowded except the last night when the pax who removed their tips ate there.

Either that or it was a big coincidence.:rolleyes:

Bill

I really appreciate the positive responses. My kids are dd4.5 and ds2.5. They are wiggly kids that like to always be doing something. Based on the feedback, I think we are going to try it the first night and see what happens. Like one poster said, we can just leave and not be stuck with a bill. I would like them to know what an elegant dinning experience is and what better way to introduce then when you are out at sea and there are other alternatives to dining if this does not pan out.

One other question, we are going on the Sensation (5 day)..is there a formal night? I have only been on 7 day cruises so the shorter cruise is a new experience for us.

Thanks,

Hello All,

Thanks,

M&C

Children at dinner is very common, unless your travelling with a specific party you will either sit with them alone or with people who also have children as close to their age as possible. No room service menu for kids. The camps have dinner service there. I have never used it but I have seen it on the dailys from the camp. I require my kids to join us for dinner each night no matter what. My youngest is 10 but we have been cruising in excess of 15 years and always had them with us at dinner. If they are that young and you need to remove them you can do so. The kids menu in the MDR is the same as the Hamburger/Hotdog station on the LIDO.

One good reason to go to the MDR vs. the Lido that I haven't seen: you are waited on in the MDR.

On the Lido, with wiggly kids, one spouse would be sitting with the kids while the other is schlepping the food and trays and drinks. Really hectic way to eat.

The wait staff will put a rush on your meals so your children get their food first and then you and spouse can eat.

I really appreciate the positive responses. My kids are dd4.5 and ds2.5. They are wiggly kids that like to always be doing something. Based on the feedback, I think we are going to try it the first night and see what happens. Like one poster said, we can just leave and not be stuck with a bill. I would like them to know what an elegant dinning experience is and what better way to introduce then when you are out at sea and there are other alternatives to dining if this does not pan out.

One other question, we are going on the Sensation (5 day)..is there a formal night? I have only been on 7 day cruises so the shorter cruise is a new experience for us.

Thanks,

Great decision I believe. I have sailed with my younger children and never felt like eyes were watching us. The dining room is noisy. Have fun and don't worry about the rest of the people. They were kids once too, even if they say they weren't.

Archived