Using Skype with wireless on board ships

livingstone

I am planning to take my iPhone and mini netbook on our up coming cruise, does anyone have experience with successful use of Skype over ships wireless connection?. I tried on P&O back in 2008 and it did not work on the ship . Has anything changed over the last couple of years.

We tried this on the Rhapsody and the Diamond without success. We tried hard!! DH is fairly computer savvy, but not an IT guy, so maybe there is a way round it that he couldnt find. I did notice that our phones worked better on the Rhapsody though, compared to only in ports on P&O ships in the past. I too, would love to know if there is a reason skype didnt work.

I think it depends on the ship and the cruise line. I believe some ships block it.

Thats exactly what we were told, but I didn't want to put it in writing incase I was wrong.:D We were told this on our last cruise by the people that run the internet cafe. It takes away from their business, which I totally understand:rolleyes:.

Jen

Thats exactly what we were told, but I didn't want to put it in writing incase I was wrong.:D We were told this on our last cruise by the people that run the internet cafe. It takes away from their business, which I totally understand:rolleyes:. Jen

I am not computer savvy, but I was told that it has something to do with skype taking up too much "space " on the satelite connection. I do know that staff have it to talk to their families back home, but it may be rationed.

I was on a "luxury cruise ship" once" , and there was no no problem, as I recall being amazed that the person next me in the lounge was chatting away on skype to someone back home.

So it is there, guess it just comes down to economics.

well I dont know what constitutes "luxury" but i couldn't use skype on either a HAL or Cunard ship and I too was told by a staff member that it was blocked!

I have never used skype on a ship, but the one I was referring to was Regent "Seven Seas Mariner".

Archived