taxis on the islands

nygirl07

I was wondering how to get around on the islands when your on a cruise and want to venture off on your own. We would rent a car, but it's four women going and neither of us would drive. My cousin is currently in Hawaii for 3 weeks and he just called from Hilo and said to go to Akaka falls and Rainbow falls and that they are both 20 minute drives. Is there a way to get a cab from the ship and back.

Oh and for those who are interested he said to do the Circle of Fire tour in Hilo and also to eat at Cafe Pesto near the flea markets.

Any info you can give me would be great.

Thanks

There were three of us ladies travelling together on our Hawaii cruise. We rented cars on each island. I was very chicken to do this but am so glad I did. It was easy to rent the cars and easy to drive around. Inexpensive too. We had a blast renting cars and doing our own thing. Go for it. Linda

To elaborate on the question, how easy is it to catch a taxi on the various islands from where the cruise ships dock? The OP seems to indicate that they are non-drivers so they won't be able to rent a car. What about those who may only be in port for, say, five hours or less? Or want to explore further after taking an excursion? Also, (from what I read it happens), what about the case if your port gets cancelled because of weather and you had reserved a car?

Perhaps a private tour would be less expensive? You could probably arrange a touring towncar or van for less than a taxi. Getting a taxi at the pier would probably be no problem (not sure how you arrange one in advance; you can try the go-hawaii website, which is full of good information), but it could get very expensive (especially if you have the taxi wait while you go to the falls or other places). I'm sure that if you do an online search you will find some tour options.

If your port get cancelled because of weather, the rental car companies are very understanding. We did not have a problem with this.

beachchick

Driving around on the islands is very easy. Most car rental companies will meet you at the ship. Most islands only have one main road and they are easy to navigate around. If you stay out of major cities like Honolulu, it is basic country driving.

Taxis

We saw taxis at every port we stopped at. They seem to hang around the ship when it comes in. There is also shuttles that go back and forth, Hilo Hatties(sourvenir hang out) had a shuttle service at every port. Even if you did not want to go to Hilo Hatties, you can get a ride away from port and pick one up again.

Archived