Guarantee Assignment

beckaboo

Please forgive if this has been answered but I was unable to locate via search.

We took a Vista guarantee since we really wanted a particular sailing (husband's birthday) and received our docs yesterday (whoopee!) but still no cabin assignment... We sail on 11/6, and so I'm wondering if we're going to know in advance or if we're just going to find out when we get to Barbados ... any guidance?

Thanks again to everyone for all the invaluable info!

Please forgive if this has been answered but I was unable to locate via search.

We took a Vista guarantee since we really wanted a particular sailing (husband's birthday) and received our docs yesterday (whoopee!) but still no cabin assignment... We sail on 11/6, and so I'm wondering if we're going to know in advance or if we're just going to find out when we get to Barbados ... any guidance?

Thanks again to everyone for all the invaluable info!

I had a verandah guarantee and my TA informed me the cabin number (upgraded to midship verandah) before the documents arrived which still did not mention the cabin number. I suppose the documents were printed before they assigned the cabin to me.

We had a veranda guarantee for the upcoming SpIrit transatlantic in October and found out two weeks ago our cabin number.
From the Silversea website, that particular sailing is no where near full. So there should be lots of cabins to choose from. Why would you need to book a guarantee since Silversea usually wouldn't give any special discount on them, you might as well have chosen your own cabin!

I had a verandah guarantee and my TA informed me the cabin number (upgraded to midship verandah) before the documents arrived which still did not mention the cabin number. I suppose the documents were printed before they assigned the cabin to me.
If you are talking about Voyage #5037, the Silversea website shows that other than the owner's, grand and royal suites, all the rest are available. It is still at 60% discount, 125% single occuapancy and free air, all pointing to a sailing far from full. That being the case, I wonder why people have to book guarantees as these are not cheaper than booking specific cabins. Perhaps the website is out dated, or am I missing something?

If you are talking about Voyage #5037, the Silversea website shows that other than the owner's, grand and royal suites, all the rest are available. It is still at 60% discount, 125% single occuapancy and free air, all pointing to a sailing far from full. That being the case, I wonder why people have to book guarantees as these are not cheaper than booking specific cabins. Perhaps the website is out dated, or am I missing something?

Meow, my voyage is 5035. I asked to book a vista cabin as solo, but TA said Silversea would not give, so had to take a verandah guarantee, 110% single supplement for either vista or verandah. Maybe the ship is almost full which I don't hope so, maybe a lot of solo due to low single supplement rate.

I thought that most people booked guarantee categories because there is a good chance of being upgraded???? We booked this on Seabourn and were upgraded three categories. However, my travel agent just told me that Silversea does not do guarantees -- can someone please advise as it seems from these posts that they are available. Thanks!

When we booked our cruise, SS would not give us a guarantee. Six months later, the ship was filling up and they allowed us to change from an assigned cabin to a guarantee. We booked a Vista and ended up in a mid-ship veranda. Our reasoning is that if we have a veranda by smokers, we end up not using our veranda. This way we get the veranda but do not have to pay for it. Then, if we cannot use it, we don't feel so bad.

Well, hopefully we'll hear in a few weeks - even though we have docs, evidently there's still no assignment so the suspense continues!

As for us booking a guarantee, the Vista is what we could reasonably afford but none were available at the time (only the guarantee)... from what I understand, they don't do them all the time, just when categories are getting full. So while an upgrade is always a potential (this happened before on the Paul Gauguin), it's not expected (we just want this particular sailing at the price we can afford!)

Well, hopefully we'll hear in a few weeks - even though we have docs, evidently there's still no assignment so the suspense continues!

As for us booking a guarantee, the Vista is what we could reasonably afford but none were available at the time (only the guarantee)... from what I understand, they don't do them all the time, just when categories are getting full. So while an upgrade is always a potential (this happened before on the Paul Gauguin), it's not expected (we just want this particular sailing at the price we can afford!)

There aren't very many Vista cabins on the Spirit to start with and I read somewhere that they are used for the lecturers etc.

I did try to book a Vista on my Spirit cruise but wasn't able to so I got a Verandah instead at a very good price and this is my first verandah ever so I'm pretty excited about it.:)

Cheers

Jennifer

There aren't very many Vista cabins on the Spirit to start with and I read somewhere that they are used for the lecturers etc.
There are a total of 12 (one dozen) vistas on the Spirit (the fewest among Silversea ships, ironically). Perhaps half of these are for lecturers, entertainers, guest chefs, etc. So you can count the rest with your fingers! Perhaps they sell vista guarantees to tempt customers, and can always give them the empty verandahs (especially those right above the band on deck 6) as an upgrade. However, unlike on other Silversea ships, where the fare ratio of vista:verandah is 0.8:1.0, in the case of the Spirit, it is 0.9:1.0. So consider all the pros and cons before you book.

I did try to book a Vista on my Spirit cruise but wasn't able to so I got a Verandah instead at a very good price and this is my first verandah ever so I'm pretty excited about it.:)

Cheers

Jennifer

We had a Vista cabin on the spring Spirit eastbound TA and we loved it. Very quiet, very convenient for the dining room and easy for tour departures. I heard then that they were putting the lecturers in the "noisy" deck 6 cabins above the main bar because no one else wanted them/would stay more than one night after trying them.

That being said, enjoy your verandah Jennifer! Nice!

. I heard then that they were putting the lecturers in the "noisy" deck 6 cabins above the main bar because no one else wanted them/would stay more than one night after trying them.
Ah, great, that happens to coincide with our suggestion on this board eight months ago!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1115009&page=6 (posting #101)

Meow Originally I had requested a Vista from my TA but was told they were unavailable but would be wait listed. I then requested a Veranda and was told she would give me a Veranda guarantee and reserve a Vista if they became available. That never happened. Thus the reason for the Veranda guarantee. I've never heard of a Silver Suite upgrade, so other than getting a Vista to Veranda upgrade, your right, there is no reason to get a Veranda guarantee. On our upcoming TA voyage, my sister and her husband who are accompanying us, got a midship Veranda which placed them one Suite over from the Veranda category suites. I'd hardly call the midship category an upgrade. As an aside, on our three previous voyages on the Cloud (Vista), Wind (Veranda upgrade), and Shadow (Veranda), we have never put the Veranda to use as they were small, with two plastic chairs to sit in. We occasionally would go out and stand there when coming into port, but spent most of our time up on the pool deck during the day if we were on the ship. While they are nice to have, I'd rather spend the difference in cost on nice bottles of wine, or private excursions.

On SS we have always booked Vista guarantee and have always been upgraded to Veranda. On Seabourn we booked Veranda guarantee on the Pride and were upgraded to Owner's Suite. Our friends booked a Veranda guarantee on the Odyssey and were upgraded to a Penthouse Suite. If it can happen on Seabourn, I bet it can happen on SS.

Jennifer -

By the way, on our last trip on the Shadow, there were several passengers traveling alone right near us. I noticed that one of the cabins had the second bed removed which made the cabin substantially larger. I don't know if that can be requested or not. Just a thought.

You will love the Veranda cabin.

Victoria

... we have never put the Veranda to use as they were small, with two plastic chairs to sit in ...
Thank you kindly for such a detailed explanation. Part of the benefit of a verandah suite is not just the verandah but the fact that you can open the doors to get fresh sea air, and listen to the soothing sound of the waves below. Too bad the vista windows are not openable. They are probably too low above water, and if they are openable, some huge waves can splash in!

Jennifer - By the way, on our last trip on the Shadow, there were several passengers traveling alone right near us. I noticed that one of the cabins had the second bed removed which made the cabin substantially larger. I don't know if that can be requested or not. Just a thought. You will love the Veranda cabin. Victoria

Hi Victoria

I've gone for the double bed option and I'm quite sure that I'll have to be dragged off my verandah.:)

Cheers

Jennifer

Archived