snorkling fins

Sumar76

Sorry I have to start a new thread on this topic, but I have looked and looked thru other posts and cannot find where I originally saw it.

Are or are not fins advisable when snorkling in FP?

I know someone had mentioned travel fins at one time, but can't find that thread either!

My husband has the reef shoes, but now thinks he wants fins also.

Thanks for any info.

I know there are lots of snorklers on this board!!

Thanks, Sue

It pretty much depends on the tours you take. Some do offer them, others do not. We always take our travel fins so that we are prepared no matter what tour we take. We take private tours most of the time, and some of them do not provide fins or snorkeling equipment.

Hey Sue ,

If I plan on doing any snorkeling on my own I bring my fins on the cruise ,

If I am doing only paid snorkeling excursions , where they supply them , I don't bother carrying them . I don't mind wearing fins after someone else .

Because I never know what water and wind conditions will be on any given day I always make sure that I have them or that they will be made available if needed . I don't want to miss a snorkel spot for lack of equipment . Just my logic . Ted

If you are on the Paul Gaugain they supply mask, fins, snorkel and vest at no charge. That being said, the snorkeling and diving is so spectacular that I would recommend that you bring your own mask and snorkel. You will then know the mask fits and does not leak and you will know who last slobbered on your snorkel.

If your cruise does not supply the equipment, or if their rental charge is considerable, you may want to bring your own equipment. Snorkeling at the Hilton in Moorea did not require fins but using them sure did make it easier to explore the entire property. Some of the snorkel excursions off of the Paul Gaugain did need fins as we followed our guide and the distance we snorkeled would have been challenging without fins.

We only needed "reef" shoes on one occasion. You can easily use tevas, water sneakers, etc. Mine all had rubber bottoms. The issue is that in some places the area you are snorkeling in is quite shallow and sandy. If you chose not to use fins you do not need the reef shoes. In other areas the bottom has a lot of broken shells or coral (or sea cucumbers) and you really don't want to step in them. If you are snorkeling with fins, again, no reef shoes. If you don't have fins the reef shoes protect your feet.

Ok, done...My husband had his own snorkle and mask...but now ordered the travel fins, snorkle vest and even a little bag to carry it all in.

Glad its going in his suitcase and not mine!

Thanks for the input, Sue

For years I've noticed when writing to various people in FP about tours--they mention plastic--I'm thinking that they mean water socks or reef shoes with rubber bottom--Have never seen the plastic shoes--ecept maybe in '80 when the jellies were popular that folks were wearing them for snorkeling--we didn't use fins in the OLD days--mostly keds canvas tennis shoes--which we left behind before we went to the airport.

Nancy

I think that Bruno says plastic and Patrick in Papeete also

I could be wrong.:D

For years I've noticed when writing to various people in FP about tours--they mention plastic--I'm thinking that they mean water socks or reef shoes with rubber bottom--Have never seen the plastic shoes--ecept maybe in '80 when the jellies were popular that folks were wearing them for snorkeling--we didn't use fins in the OLD days--mostly keds canvas tennis shoes--which we left behind before we went to the airport.

Nancy

I think that Bruno says plastic and Patrick in Papeete also

I could be wrong.:D

Seal, I have noticed that Bruno usually wears a type of jelly sandal. I had never seen this type of shoes on a man before, but it could be these are popular in FP.

Archived