Rock Wall Diagrams for Each Ship?

Say, how about a thread where cruisers post diagrams of the rock walls on the various RCCI ships?

I just came off the Sovereign of the Seas on 1/29 and have drawn this diagram ("beta" in the rockclimbing world) of the rock wall. Included are the "ratings" of each route (color), based on my experience in climbing in gyms and actual rock, in the actual outdoors.

I would have loved to have seen something like this before going onboard, perhaps others will too...

http://home.att.net/~timbrubaker/Sovereign_Rock_Wall.jpg

Tim B.

You're correct, they could change everything overnight, but that is unlikely. More likely they'd fiddle around with a route or two. In fact on our cruise they were still finishing two new routes on the seldom used backside of the wall and I helped a bit recommending placement of some of the holds to make the routes more challenging. Spent some time tightening holds that had loosened over time also. Royal Caribbean doesn't employ any route-setters, they rely on a contractor who trains the employees and sets the routes on the walls. Route setting is probably equal parts art and science and just having a hex wrench and a bag of holds doesn't mean the routes are going to be fun and challenging. It's likely that some of the staff are adept at it but I'd be surprised if they change much of the professionally laid out routes. The belayers on Sovereign were nice people and well trained at belaying for the most part, but were clearly not rock climbers or route setters.

Anyway, I'd like to see pictures at the least of each of the walls on the various ships, knowing that it's possible for slight adjustments to be made along the way.

Tim B.

• 2 months later...
Can't post any of the ships but I can tell you about the one in my back yard. I have a rock climber at home too. :p I like your user name!

We're planning to build one as well. We have about 78 new holds, but have yet to finalize the plans, so they sit in boxes. Have three girls in college/grad school, and a wedding coming up next month, so the rock wall is way down the list right now!

Tim

Come on, Climbsrocks, you don't expect to find good routes on the cruise ship do you! But, if you come to Alaska with us on the Serenade (7/24/05) you might find some more challenging routes, because the sports director for that ship is a climbing friend of ours and he is going to set some hard (as hard as can be expected for that venue!) routes for my 13 year old son, who is a competitive rock climber. (7 time US junior team member, and avid outdoor climber.) He climbs 5:12, 5:13 and boulders V8, V9. I climb too, but 5:10 max, so the routes should be good for me. Hopefully Brian will set some good ones for us.

By the way. we are going to Hueco Tanks next week to boulder. Ever been there?:)

Your son is an awesome climber! Never been to Hueco. Have climbed top-ropeable routes in Yosemite and Curahee Mtn here in Georgia. Mostly have to climb indoors on plastic. Just bought gear to do sport climbing, but youngest daughter took it off to college! I hate bouldering (too painful for me), and climb (indoors) 5.10 with beta. Haven't finished a 5.11 without lots of takes and beta.

That's what we found on the Sovereign - routes vastly over rated (some that were supposed to be 5.12 were more like 5.9+. Still had a great time though as I was often the only person on the wall (except for sea day).

Would love to do the Alaska thing some day, nice to know there are wall managers that are real climbers. That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking to gather from more experienced cruisers who climb.

Have a great time, and post some pics of you're self and son climbing when you get back! Ours are at http://timbrubaker.home.att.net/wsb. None from the cruise are on yet, but there are some outdoor climbing/bouldering photos scattered throughout our family web site.

Ok, this probably doesn't belong on this particular thread, but at least I know there are experienced rock climbers here...

SO, how much of an expert do you have to be to climb one of the Rock Walls on a RCCL ship??

Can a first timer, someone who has never touched a rock wall before, not in very good shape try it??? I'm 48....but would love to try that wall! In fact, I would love to try rock climbing period.

Thanks,

LarryF

Larry,

You will have no trouble on the rock wall. It is geared toward beginning climbers. We had a 70 year old that climbed on Sovereign this January and the only thing that prevented her from going to the top was a bit of acrophobia. The wall is short (30 ft) and there will be very easy routes (like climbing a ladder), and moderate routes that will require a bit of climbing skill and fitness. You'll find that the primary ability that helps you is forearm strength. When your grip plays out, you're finished...

The primary thing to remember is to climb with your legs, using your arms to position yourself, not pulling up with them anymore than necessary. If you want to be ahead of the other beginners, probably the best thing you can do to prepare is to do exercises that focus on the forearm (and grip strength), like doing pullups with only your fingertips. You can also use the various "squeeze" exercisers available in various forms. Another good exercise you can do with dumbells (or thick books) is to hold the weights at your side, one in each hand, again using only your finger tips to squeeze them. You don't have to lift them, just hold them at your side while standing. It will make a huge difference in the beginning.

You'll have a blast. Don't get discouraged at how quickly the forearms get tired the first day. Just try and do some each day; by the end of the cruise you will be able to climb multiple times per session.

Also, if you get tired on the wall, just ask the belayer for a rest (or a "take" in rock climbing lingo); they'll take up the slack and let you hang there for a minute to let your arms rest. Let go of the wall and shake out your forearms while holding them above your shoulders and hanging down. It will allow the lactic acid to get flushed out (or something like that). In twenty or thirty seconds you can usually push on a little more.

One last thing, the ship I was on had chalk available for your hands (Calcium Carbonate). It will absorb any perspiration and increase your grip friction. Don't hesitate to apply some to your hands before each climb. If you take up climbing at all, you'll want to pick up your own chalk bag to clip to your harness.

Write back after your trip and tell me how much fun it was!

Tim

Larry,

You should definitely try the wall. Everything "Climbsrocks" said was true. They will have easy routes for beginners and more difficult ones too, but you will love it. And when you get home, look for a climbing gym in your town. It's great exercise for all ages!

Climbsrocks,

What is the name of the gym where you climb? My son might know a kid or two from the competition circuit from your area. Here is a link of a site you might enjoy (if you don't already know about it) It's called 8a.nu and it is a worldwide climbing site where all the climbers can log on and rank themselves against each other and post their tick lists and photos, etc. I've linked you to my son's (Brian Antheunisse) page, but you ought to browse around and look at it.

http://www.8a.nu/site2/

Later,

(Can't wait until Alaska!!!!):)

Climbsrocks,

That site link doesn't take you where I thought it would. If you want to see Brian you have to go to "search-updates" on the left hand side of the page and then type his name under "member search" You can find anybody you're looking for that way. (if your daughter climbs, she should post her stuff on there).

Good luck.

ClimberMom,

I haven't climbed in a gym here. We have what used to be Galyans (now Dick's) Sporting Goods stores that have huge walls and are generally uncrowded. I climb there for $3 all evening (as a preferred customer, and friend of the wall manager). The wall is 60 ft tall, so I build a great deal of endurance there. Only problem is I can't do lead climbing there. There are plenty of 5.12 routes on the wall at Lenox (in Buckhead, Atlanta's uptown area) so I will not outgrow that wall anytime soon! (Still haven't climbed a 60 ft. 5.11 without rest stops...yet) I did climb at one of the Texas Rock Gyms on Houston's east side a couple months ago. Had a blast but didn't have a partner so I mostly bouldered. One guy was there a few minutes ahead of his partner, so he graciously belayed me for a few climbs. Very nice people, and a great workout. All three of my daughters (17, 21, 25) climb outdoors and inside, but we are all just about to begin lead climbing, except the youngest (17) who has done lead on her college's wall. Hopefully this summer we'll all get to do some outdoor lead climbing at Curahee Mtn or Lost Wall in GA, or Sand Rock in Alabama!

Shorts are OK. You might scrape your knees a little bit, but you're a tough guy, right! ;)

You can wear tennis shoes, but I'm pretty sure they have loaner rock climbing shoes that you can wear. They will make climbing a lot easier, since they will help you "stick" to the wall.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Just regular sneakers fine for a beginner climber onboard? And since slippage against the face might be an issue, should long pants be worn, or shorts?

Tks.

Didn't rock climb on my ship, but at my school's rock wall they always recommend wearing long pants - it was good advice for me - it prevented plently of scraped knees!

Rick,

They provide climbing shoes (and helmets) for you, but you must bring socks. You can climb in long pants, but the worst you'll get if you slip and fall against the wall is scrapped knee or elbow. You'll be much more comfortable climbing in shorts in my opinion. The wall is made by EntrePrise and has a rock-like texture for added friction for the shoes. Which reminds me that you shouldn't get locked into the mentality that you can only step on the handholds...many times the best place to put your foot is on the natural surface of the wall, in a pocket, or edgewise along a tiny ridge or bump. It's amazing how much friction you can develop in the rock shoes on this surface. They're just like the walls you see in Galyans (now Dick's) Sporting Goods stores and many health clubs, universities, and YMCA's.

Have fun and take pictures!

Tim

Climbsrocks and Climbersmom

Thanks very much!

I'm definitely going to try it a few times!

Do you think squats might be good to incorporate with the other exercises???

I have just about 4 months to get into better shape...sailing Sept 12...Jewel of the Seas out of Boston.

I'm actually pretty excited about this...

I'll let you know how it turns out and thanks again!

LarryF

Not sure squats would buy you much Larry, but it couldn't hurt. One thing that I failed to mention that would be good is some flexibility. Many times you are required (on harder routes) to "match" feet and hands, meaning, for example, you need to put your right foot on the same hold that your right hand is on currently. Depending on the height of your right hand, that can require the ability to lift your right foot quite high! That is probably the biggest limitation I face (other than being 51 yrs old!) and probably need to do more stretching than I do now...

Having said that, there will be times your legs will feel like jelly, especially if your legs are in an awkward position, and they will begin to quiver. It's usually corrected by changing the geometry of your foot position a bit for more stability, but it sure feels silly to have your leg shaking!

Tim

Larry,

If you've got that much time you might want to start climbing before you go on the cruise. The Boston area is full of indoor gyms and "free" walls at places like Dick's Sporting Goods stores (if they were formerly Galyan's stores, they will have rock walls and are inexpensive and generally uncrowded on week nights). Be careful though, the danger of getting addicted to rock climbing is very real for some people (me for one) and you may find yourself wanting to stay on the ship and climb when your wife or friends want to go ashore! My wife and I brought our own shoes and chalk aboard just in case we found climbing on a shore excursion. It's nice, plus you don't have to wear socks if you have your own shoes. (the shoes fit very tightly in order to limit flexing of the edges, allowing you to put your entire body weight on a tiny bump in the rock while standing on the inside or outside edge of the sole, and socks just allow a little too much slop for most climbers on harder routes).

Tim

Archived