Southampton-London Private Transfer Advice, Please

smoothsailors

Many on the boards have generously posted their positive experiences with Smith's and so we e-mailed them for a quote for a post-cruise transfer Southampton-Central London and also from our Covent Garden Hotel to Gatwick...received a prompt reply with rates of 135 GB and 90 GB plus possible congestion/credit card fees. (This was for a MPV - not sedan - as we will have considerable luggage).

We were ready to confirm with Smiths when my TA offered to contact her chauffer service...only reason to consider was that the price would have all been wrapped into our final payment. Thought that if the rate for her transfers was only slightly higher, it would be easier and keep her happy. I was stunned when the quote (from Lewis Day in London) came in at way more than double of Smiths with a possible 2011 increase!! True, their photo of a Mercedes Luxury van lokked quite fancy, but there are only two of us so I amsure that whatever MPV Smiths uses will be most comfortable for us.

So, these are my questions: is there usually this much of a price difference between transfer companies in London? And, has anyone had thjeir TA arrange their transfers with Smiths? (Thought I might offer for our TA to make the booking...or would my rate then be higher?) Our trip isn't until March but I do want to confirm, one way or other, with Smiths as the price for the larger vehicle seemed quite fair.

Thanks for any input!:)

I used Smiths last year and I asked them if they paid a commish to agents - I believe the answer is they do not.

Your agent could book it and add a service fee (here in the States it was 20% back when I was an agent in the 80s).

Hope this helps

I would suggest you get from Smith's an exact figure including congestion charges, etc and add in any currency conversion fees from your credit card.

Also confirm with Smith's the exact amount of luggage their MPV can handle if you are traveling with excessive luggage. It really may not fit.

Normally, when I am arranging private transfers overseas, I use a vendor who will charge the clients in USD in advance thus avoiding any surprises. I do the same for my own private transfers.

Thanks, Babette...I agree and that's why I would have preferred paying in USD up front with my cruise final payment. However, Smiths has confirmed all the costs and suggested the MPV specifically for the number of cases we'll have ( and the fact that we're both tall)...and my TA's service is STILL more than double the costs. I have only heard positive reports about Smiths on the boards, so we're leaning to just arranging this directly. But I do think that your method is quite wise...just disppointed that my TA only has one rather costly vendor to suggest.:rolleyes:

Hi Smoothsailors...we used Smiths last year and have booked for next month as well. We booked with them directly and they gave us the exact amounts because we pay them in cash...before we leave home we get currency from our bank to pay them. We really liked them. I think we had a small van and it fit our luggage but we only had two each. Hope this helps.

Barbara

We used Smiths only a few weeks ago. I booked everything directly through them over the internet. They were the cheapest company by far and the service was impeccable.

We used them 3 times in 3 weeks - Heathrow to London, London to Southampton then Southanpton to Heathrow. Very friendly drivers and clean, comfortable, cars.

We used Smiths only a few weeks ago. I booked everything directly through them over the internet. They were the cheapest company by far and the service was impeccable.

We used them 3 times in 3 weeks - Heathrow to London, London to Southampton then Southanpton to Heathrow. Very friendly drivers and clean, comfortable, cars.

what is the web address for smiths and how much did they charge london to southampton? thanks!

Last November, I booked Smiths for Airports for a transfer from Heathrow to Southampton. The cost was 75 pounds. The driver met me at at the American Airlines Arrivals Lounge - the car was a new Saab saloon (UK term) - driver was excellent - tipped the driver 10 pounds - he was most appreciative - going to book them again for a transfer from Soton to LHR on 10NOV

We are a family of five is it cheaper to hire private transportation from Heathrow to Southampton or better to take the motor coach? Also any recommendations for hotels? Two adults three teens

For five you'll probably find it cheaper to take a private hire than to go by coach! We are a family of four (all adults) and we find it cheaper to take a taxi from York to Southampton than it would be if we were all to take the train. It is also far more convenient - your taxi will pick you up where you want to be picked up and drop you off where you want to be dropped off.

My husband and I used Smith's last Friday from Southampton to Heathrow, and from Heathrow to Southampton prior to our cruise. We would recommend them in a heartbeat. We had three large cases and two small carry-ons so needed a larger car. The charge was 77 pounds (includes wait time at Heathrow on arrival) and 72 pounds, plus tip. Both drivers were on time, friendly and courteous and the cars, clean and comfortable (a six seater, so plenty of room) Arriving at Heathrow, after traveling for over 14 hours, it was wonderful to have smiling face holding up a name card and to take charge in the bustling airport. And, when docking in Southampton in pouring rain, what a joy to have another smiling face to meet you, ask you to stay under cover whilst he collect the car, loaded the cases and then drive us to the airport. We three chatted away during the hour and half journey - a most civilized way to travel :D

For a pre-cruise hotel, as we would arrive late in Southampton and leave the following morning, all we needed was a clean, comfortable room/bed and shower, so we chose the Holiday Inn Express West (very inexpensive when booked on-line) which met our needs admirably. We then took a taxi from the hotel to the Port which cost 15 pounds plus tip (heavy traffic on that particular morning)

Thank you everyone for your most helpful posts...we truly appreciate all of the CC members who so generously share their advice & experiences! We did decide to book Smiths for both our SOTON-London and London-Gatwick transfers in April: their price for the larger MPV was very fair and the quote dpecified all of the costs. (For us, the convenience/comfort of the private MPV over Cunard's motorcoach is well worth the additional expense, but I just could not justify paying more than double Smith's rates for my TA's suggestion). Both Sharon and Laura in Smith's office have replied promptly/efficiently to our e-mails and we look forward to using their services.

Have a great weekend, all!:)

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.london-transfers.com/

I can highly recommend Ray. My family of 4 used him for our transfers to and from LHR and also a half-day private tour of London. Each time, he was waiting for us ontime (actually early), provided an excellent commentary and was friendly, approachable and flexible. I'm not sure on his pricing for transfers to & from Southampton, but I can tell you for a family of 4, it is usually much cheaper to book your own private transfer.

Ther disparity in fares quoted can be explained, I believe, by the fact that Smiths are Portsmouth based whereas the firm charging double is based in London. London companies always charge more because they can get away with it. I always use Smiths and have them booked with a Minibus to pick 4 adults up to take us to and from Southampton for a Christmas cruise. Never been let down.

We used Smith's from Southampton to Heathrow on October 19. I even changed the pick-up time by half an hour by e-mail from the QM2 the day before. The driver was there to meet us at the revised time. He had a Mercedes station wagon. The price was £72 plus the tip. The service was excellent. I'd use them again in a minute.

Our driver was well aware that many of their Cunard referrals come from Cruise Critic so I got the impression they are very careful to provide the kind of service that will keep those referrals coming.

Archived