Catalina island, dominican republic

We are sailing on the Miracle which includes Catalina Isl. as well.

I was told that the ships USED to go there years ago and the ships are just starting to go back. It is a day at the beach basically[ I hear it's beautiful] just like the other Private islands that the ships visit!

We are sailing on Jan. 6,2011, and our itinerary states we are going to Catalina Island, Docked. All our CCL excursions state that you will take a 45 minute boat ride to the DR mainland. They do not offer any excursions on CI.

Very confusing. As we have been to the DR a few times, we have seen most of the things offered. I am hoping they will post some information about CI soon. I understand Costa docks there and has a beach thingie where they bring food for the passengers and you can enjoy the beach. I am hoping that CL who is parent to Costa will do the same for us. Maybe I am dreaming. Plan B is to stay on the ship and relax.:)

Marie:o

I agree... it's confusing. We're on the Miracle leaving Jan 22 and our itinerary says Catalina Island as well. But when I checked, it does show all of the excursions (except one for diving and one for snorkeling) taking a 45 minute ride to the mainland.

I saw something else that said that there's a small area roped off somewhere for snorkeling, but not much to see. Does anyone know if there is anyway to do any good snorkeling there that is not on one of the overcrowded, overpriced excursions offered by the cruise lines?

Sorry to say, our Catalina Island stop did not happen. Some fellow cruisers booked excursions to the island.

After hearing so many negative comments about LaRomana, we were hesitent to go off ship.

However, we decided to brave it, took the $7pp bus to Altos de Chevon.

Do it! It's an art colony, reconstructed in the 70's to look hundreds of years old. Took more pictures there, than any other port.

D.R. is lush, green, and the ride to Altos was not what we expected. All landscaped, good roads.

It's a good, cheap way to spend your time in La Romana.

If i knew how to attach pictures, I would.

I'd go back!!

audrey

Sorry to say, our Catalina Island stop did not happen. Some fellow cruisers booked excursions to the island.

After hearing so many negative comments about LaRomana, we were hesitent to go off ship.

However, we decided to brave it, took the $7pp bus to Altos de Chevon.

Do it! It's an art colony, reconstructed in the 70's to look hundreds of years old. Took more pictures there, than any other port.

D.R. is lush, green, and the ride to Altos was not what we expected. All landscaped, good roads.

It's a good, cheap way to spend your time in La Romana.

If i knew how to attach pictures, I would.

I'd go back!!

audrey

Can you tell me if there was an entrance fee to Altos de Chevon? We are interested in taking the shuttle.

Can you tell me if there was an entrance fee to Altos de Chevon? We are interested in taking the shuttle.

no entrance fee. no tipping the bus driver. except for maybe some souvineers, food, it's a very interesting day for cheap.

they have a history museum, with old artifacts that was great, if you are into that. we were there about 3 hrs. and didn't see the whole place.

audrey

no entrance fee. no tipping the bus driver. except for maybe some souvineers, food, it's a very interesting day for cheap.

they have a history museum, with old artifacts that was great, if you are into that. we were there about 3 hrs. and didn't see the whole place.

audrey

That's exactly what we are going to do for our day in the DR. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'm finally looking forward to getting off the ship in that port!

Ibt43 guess you were wrong!! Sorry there is a Catalina Island, DR!!! Oh by the way the ship she was on is in her signature!! Duh!!! :D

thanks, madge57! takes all kinds. hammertx went to the island on an excursion, only because we ported in la romana. our itinery was switched, my theory is not enough tenders to get us on the island.

according to what i heard on the ship, it's owned by holland. which is owned by carnival, and simular to half moon cay, they haul food off the boat for us. kinda sorry we missed it, by the few accounts, the beach is pristine.

enjoy your cruise!

audrey

Archived