Armed gang kidnaps 22 Mexican tourists in Acapulco

rhsjr

We were seriously considering a PC cruise Acapulco to Ft. Lauderdale, but now this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11459463

Wife says, no way!

Uh, oh! We are on this itinerary in January.

This story does sound a bit implausible. Why would these particular people be targeted for kidnapping? Are they a rival gang? It doesn't sound like they were rich people who would have a lot of money for ransom.

Then the guy disappears...maybe fearing for his own safety.

More questions than answers.

I won't be walking around by myself for sure....but in a group of 22? This story is very strange.

As I read this story this was a group of local MEXICAN tourists, not foreigners. There are lots of old rivalries between gangs from different areas in Mexico against other Mexicans: not sure if that was involved or not. As long as the US demand for illicit drugs continues, and the profit incentive is so great, all of these countries are going to have problems. Deplorable none-the-less. We were in Acapulco and Manzanillo in August on DAWN PRINCESS World Cruise and I was skeptical about Acapulco, but there were no problems and everyone, mostly Australians and New Zealanders, loved Acapulco! The only "safe" place is to stay in your bedroom . . . and even there . . .

See my comments about Acapulco http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/ah-mexico/

Regards, Richard

• 1 month later...

We stopped in Acapulco 2 days before this happened. It spread like wildfire througout our cruise ship. Our understanding is that these men were from another city in Mexico.... and my DH read on line not too long ago that they found their bodies in a group grave outside of the city. Very scary, but it did sound like drug related thing.

We had a nice time in the city and at no time did we feel unsafe. We had a privite guide who took care not to take us anyplace that would be unsafe.

Archived