What is the real deal with Harbor House, Galveston?

When we went by Harbor House our last cruise in February. It seemed like an ideal location: close to the cruise terminal, the Strand, and a Greek Restaurant (what more could I ask for). But I've seem some really mixed reviews. I'm not a terribly picky person, but I want to make sure this is going to be a pleasant stay.

When we went by Harbor House our last cruise in February. It seemed like an ideal location: close to the cruise terminal, the Strand, and a Greek Restaurant (what more could I ask for). But I've seem some really mixed reviews. I'm not a terribly picky person, but I want to make sure this is going to be a pleasant stay.

I did not stay there. We went by it.

I'm right there with you on the Harbor House question. I've read free cruise parking, $20 cruise parking, charge for parking if booked through this or that site, no charge if booked another way. It does look like a great place to stay for a cruise, but ????

We stayed there several years ago.. won it on priceline for like 90 bucks..

The hotel is really nice, but we were super late checking in. They said they had been full and did not have enough cleaning crew. We had to wait forever!! It kinda set a bad tone.

But, the room was awesome... woke up super early and saw our ship coming in. Great view, was able to have dinner and walk home! No drinking and driving for me...

We lucked out and got a corner room. The breakfast was not very good, very small selection. We were charged the 20 bucks to park for the week, but it wasn't bad.

It seems close to the port. I took family to port and left them, then parked and walked back. It was in August and I will never do that again!! Too hot, and the smells were not pleasant. Coming home we took a taxi.

Overall, I would stay here again, but the views of the ocean are really good too!!

We stayed there last Nov, booked from a discount booking engine and had to pay to park. There was less than a $10 difference if booked directly. The view of the port is great. Watched Ecstasy depart and Conquest arrive. Rooms were comfortable, the breakfast was a joke, convenience was great. We walked with our luggage to and from the part. Would do this again anytime we cruise out of Galveston.

We have stayed there too. I really enjoyed the stay for the most part, but there were ups and downs.

The good: rooms and views were great! Our room was very large, comfortable, and had a fridge. It is very convenient to the cruise terminal. Some walk to it, but since we normally cruise RCI, and RCI's ships dock a bit further down, we prefer to drive over and one of us waits with the luggage while the other drives back and parks, then walks over.

The not-so-good: the elevator is very small and unreliable. It was not operational when we arrived, and we had to haul all of our luggage up to the 3rd floor ourselves (no staff to help, they seem to keep very minimal staff). It did start working later, but was still dicey. Reading some recent reviews, the elevator still seems to be an issue, so it apparently has not been updated.

The breakfast really is kind of a joke. They throw out a few store bought bagels and rolls, some yogurt (maybe some cereal, can't recall), juice and coffee. There is no one attending it or restocking if something runs out.

There does always seem to be confusion on the parking fee. In our case, it was $20, but I know what you mean about the conflicting reports.

Overall, I would stay again if the price was right, but we are looking at other options this time.

We have stayed there too. I really enjoyed the stay for the most part, but there were ups and downs.

The good: rooms and views were great! Our room was very large, comfortable, and had a fridge. It is very convenient to the cruise terminal. Some walk to it, but since we normally cruise RCI, and RCI's ships dock a bit further down, we prefer to drive over and one of us waits with the luggage while the other drives back and parks, then walks over.

The not-so-good: the elevator is very small and unreliable. It was not operational when we arrived, and we had to haul all of our luggage up to the 3rd floor ourselves (no staff to help, they seem to keep very minimal staff). It did start working later, but was still dicey. Reading some recent reviews, the elevator still seems to be an issue, so it apparently has not been updated.

The breakfast really is kind of a joke. They throw out a few store bought bagels and rolls, some yogurt (maybe some cereal, can't recall), juice and coffee. There is no one attending it or restocking if something runs out.

There does always seem to be confusion on the parking fee. In our case, it was $20, but I know what you mean about the conflicting reports.

Overall, I would stay again if the price was right, but we are looking at other options this time.

------------------------------------------------------------------

By your comments

they would bother me also.

When were you there?

If sometime after hurricane Ike

the elevator had its problems with 20 feet of water is understandable situation.Continental breakfast would be a concern!

Parking situation would not be a concern with parking lot,

but with the policy and persons managing it.

For a while an telephone operator at another hotel was handling operational matters after the Hurricane for quite a while.

There personal contractors repairing all their properties were staying at the Harbor Housr also for many many months.

Which might account for some of those problems.

The family is a wonderful one.... thats owns and operates Tremont, Galvez and Harbor House Hotels, and owns most of downtown Galveston, and owned Mitchell Energy and Development, and developed a whole town The Woodlands north of Houston with the Cynthia Mitchell Entertainment Pavilion along with many other real estate and other ventures.

Thet are are truely philantrophic large donors to health organizations, worthwhile cause organizations and universities world wide.

They were repairing lots of properties after the storm for many many months,

and spent millions bringing them all back to first class operations.

Thats the way they are!!!!

I would send letter to public relations department at Galvez Hotel and advise

and ask if things have changed at Harbor House.

Hurricane repairs over long period of time and necessary common phone operators for all properties for a while can account for those problems.

Maybe except for problems with person handling Continental breakfast!

Also many special events occur in that area,

and hotel rates, minimum night stays, parking and fees can change to accomodate certain events. The summer season along with

Dickens on the Strand, Yaga Wild Game Cookoff, LoneStar Bike Rally, Mardi Gras and many other smaller special events occur in that area.

50,000 to 200,000+ can attend these larger events.

Galveston is a resort destination vacation town with two major first class convention centers.

Supply and demand and its complications always prevails.

Get everything in confirmation form from any hotels to tie down your concerns.

If you don't go back to any of ones above try Moody Gardens or the St Luis Resorts for that level of comfort!!!!

Galvez, Tremont, Harbor House, St Luis. Hilton and Moody Gardens are wonderful hotels

Galveston is still recovering from a major mother nature event!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ssb

We stayed there in March and paid nothing for parking. If you book through Galveston.com your parking is free. You may have to remind the receptionist of this.

Their breakfast is just juice, coffee, danish and fruit. Nothing fancy, but enough to hold you over until you can get to the ship and pig out!

Their staff is few and never really seen. Wasn't a big deal for us. They were there when we needed them. We had a problem with a light in the bathroom shorting out, but it was tended to fast.

The location can't be beat. The kids loved watching the ship pass by that morning (me too)! When you make your reservation just ask for a room with a good view of the harbor.

We plan on staying there on our next cruise!

I give it an A+!

We stayed there in March and paid nothing for parking. If you book through Galveston.com your parking is free. You may have to remind the receptionist of this.

Their breakfast is just juice, coffee, danish and fruit. Nothing fancy, but enough to hold you over until you can get to the ship and pig out!

Their staff is few and never really seen. Wasn't a big deal for us. They were there when we needed them. We had a problem with a light in the bathroom shorting out, but it was tended to fast.

The location can't be beat. The kids loved watching the ship pass by that morning (me too)! When you make your reservation just ask for a room with a good view of the harbor.

We plan on staying there on our next cruise!

I give it an A+!

I like your saying and attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Livin' ~ Laughin' ~ Lovin' :D

Sure ya'll would be fun to cruise with.:D

Attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure :D

------------------------------------------------------------------

When were you there?

If sometime after hurricane Ike

the elevator had its problems with 20 feet of water is understandable situation.

No, this was well before Ike. I was actually hoping that the elevator had been updated during repairs, which is why I checked recent reviews. Unfortunately, several recent reviews I read still reference elevator problems. This was actually the deciding factor for not booking HH for our upcoming trip.

We are currently booked with the Tremont, although I do have my eye on a really good price at the Quality Inn and Suites on the Seawall that I may not be able to pass up. ;) I do like being in the Strand area, though...decisions, decisions!

Hotel Galvez & Spa

The Tremont House

Harbor House Hotel & Marina

are operated under a operations managemnt contract between Wyndham Hotels Chain and Mitchell Historic Properties

owners of the properties.

The public relations department of Mitchell Historic Hotel Properties

will want to know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ssb

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. We were there in February 2010 one night precruise and loved it. We were able to check in early and this was Mardi Gras weekend. Everything (with the exception of the RCCL terminal) was within walking distance. We were told it would be $20 for parking for the week but they failed to charge us for it. yes the elevator was a little slow; we opted for the stairs most of the time. It's not that bad...

But I don't think I'd pay over $150/ni for it; we booked far enough in advance and got it for $109 per night. Well, I won't pay $150 night for anything!

:cool:I stayed there 2 1/2 weeks ago and staying there again in Feb. Didn't have a issue with the elevator but I used the stairs when not dragging my bags. They charged me $10 for my car, but I didn't have one!!:rolleyes: No problem got it off my bill. I walked with my bag to the Conquest and had no problem getting there.:)

:cool:I stayed there 2 1/2 weeks ago and staying there again in Feb. Didn't have a issue with the elevator but I used the stairs when not dragging my bags. They charged me $10 for my car, but I didn't have one!!:rolleyes: No problem got it off my bill. I walked with my bag to the Conquest and had no problem getting there.:)

Good!

And thanks for positive input about recent stay!:D:D

Puts the elevator issue at rest!

I personally was going to go by HH today and check elevators.

Felt there could not possibly still be problems presently from IKE.

I have also advised by email the public relations department

with Wyndham Hotels/Mitchell Properties offices at the Tremont House about the thread and comments on the board.

• 2 weeks later...

We loved the Harbor House and would stay there again if it wasn't booked for our upcoming cruise (the weekend before Mardi Gras). Our room was spacious, clean and that Greek restaurant is to die for. It is right on the pier so you can see when the ships leave and come into port.

And the histroical Strand is within walking distances so you have easy access to shops and other restaurants.

We loved the Harbor House and would stay there again if it wasn't booked for our upcoming cruise (the weekend before Mardi Gras). Our room was spacious, clean and that Greek restaurant is to die for. It is right on the pier so you can see when the ships leave and come into port.

And the histroical Strand is within walking distances so you have easy access to shops and other restaurants.

THanks for help and nice comments!!!!!!!

OTHERS SEE this thread in this same forum

navbits_start.gif Cruise Critic Message Boards > North American Homeports > Gulf Coast Departures navbits_finallink_ltr.gif Elavator @ Harbor House

Edited by ssb

• 3 years later...
I have heard that there is a two night stay required.. we are doing a cruise on jan 18th 2015, and we were wanting to stay on the 17th.. does anyone know if the 2 night stay requirement applies in january? Thanks

The hotel is being updated and remodeled presently

And is totally shut down now under construction.

It will be brand new as of next month.

Jon a cruiser is staying in it when it opens back up.

He loves it and will do a review with photos and much detail.

It is scheduled to open just prior to Mardi Gras 2014.

The two night minimum probably will not apply unless there is

Something going on.

Two things that happen right around there and one on the parking lot

Adjacent is a wild game cook off and another is a chili cookoff.

Good luck.