Do stores in New Zealand & Australia accept American dollars?

Yes, this was asked in all innocence as I have been to other countries that were glad to accept US dollars. From some of these responses, I am sorry I even asked the original question. But I have gotten my answer and will be exchanging money. Thank you.

Don't be scared away. Keep on asking questions - we'll try to help. Aussies and Kiwis are a fairly outspoken lot, but we are really friendly, too!

I hope you have a wonderful holiday "down-under".

Yes, it seems to be, and yet this question gets asked frequently. I think it's because many Americans travel to countries where the US dollar is accepted.

I find it a little bit annoying, as both Australia and New Zealand have currencies that are not linked to the US dollar, and we are not third-world countries that are glad to get our hands on US dollars.

However, I think many Americans ask in all innocence, and so I try to answer their question politely and helpfully.

The US dollar is not a recognised form of legal tender here in Australia, unless some tourist operators are willing to take it. They will take it to their advantage, not yours.

I can't rock up in the States and use my Aussie dollars.

If you want to travel outside the States you have to get used to using another currency, same when we travel outside of Australia. These days it is very easy to obtain foreign currency.

At the end of the day you probably get a better deal by using the foreign currency instead of US dollars.

sorry greyhoundcrazy

what a scary intro to Oz and NZ this thread quickly became. One 'no' response was enough, and yet so many decided to 'have a go'.

As Celle said, we are actually a friendly lot down here and yet the narky responses would make this seem untrue.

we have travelled very widely and it is surprising how many vendors all around the world will accept 'alternative' currencies, in particular, the USD.

And yes, our dollar is strong (at the moment), but big whoop, that's not what poor greyhoundcrazy asked.

As The_Big_M and turtlemichael have said, keep asking, and people will answer, hopefully with a bit less attitude

cheers

pete

what a scary intro to Oz and NZ this thread quickly became. One 'no' response was enough, and yet so many decided to 'have a go'.
I think that the underlying problem was a classic case of innocently and inadvertently causing offence. Intending no harm when asking a question doesn't necessarily mean that the question will be well received. There are plenty of Europeans who might be equally offended if an American were innocently to ask whether we have running water or flush toilets. The mere asking of such a question suggests assumptions on the part of the questioner that can cause offence to the person to whom the question is directed, even if the questioner is not guilty of any of them.

I think that the underlying problem was a classic case of innocently and inadvertently causing offence. Intending no harm when asking a question doesn't necessarily mean that the question will be well received. There are plenty of Europeans who might be equally offended if an American were innocently to ask whether we have running water or flush toilets. The mere asking of such a question suggests assumptions on the part of the questioner that can cause offence to the person to whom the question is directed, even if the questioner is not guilty of any of them.

Maybe so Globaliser, but I am embarassed by such responses. I try to assume that the OP is simply curious to know the answer. To make judgements about what he knows or should know is both ungenerous and offensive. I for one want the OP to know that we are mostly a kind and friendly bunch and the he is very welcome in our country.

Fully agree, turtlemichael, why take offence when there's no evidence that any is intended?

That's a big cause of the problem where people just want to get offended at the simplest of questions or situations... just because it "may be" offensive to some (like the idea of cancelling Christmas celebrations at play centres in case someone gets offended...)

As for toilets, I've been places in Europe that don't have them, plus it's standard to have to pay there to use them. The fact it's conventional here to do things one way doesn't mean that they're done the same way somewhere else.

As said in my earlier post, it's better to ask then just to presume.

Maybe so Globaliser, but I am embarassed by such responses. I try to assume that the OP is simply curious to know the answer. To make judgements about what he knows or should know is both ungenerous and offensive.
For sure, but one of the things that one learns when travelling is that it is possible to give grave offence without meaning to - for example, showing someone the sole of one's foot or shoe in some parts of the world, or holding up one's hand to someone else with one's palm facing the other person in a gesture which would simply mean "Hi!" in the UK or the US. In an ideal world, everyone would make the allowances necessary. But people are humans beings and will inevitably have human reactions. Without casting blame on either side, this is what I think has happened here.

I don't belong in the "there are no silly questions" camp. That's something you might say to a five year-old to encourage exploration and learning. Adopt that attitude as a grown-up, and in some places it could get you hurt or even killed.

Maybe so Globaliser, but I am embarassed by such responses. I try to assume that the OP is simply curious to know the answer. To make judgements about what he knows or should know is both ungenerous and offensive. I for one want the OP to know that we are mostly a kind and friendly bunch and the he is very welcome in our country.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. No need to be embarrassed.

There were, actually, only two one-line responses that could be seen as a little harsh. The rest evolved into either further advice, or discussion.

The OP did, as I suggested, ask the original question in all innocence and had no intention of causing offence. If the OP can disregard the responses he/she did not like, the rest of the advice was intended to be helpful.

Thanks Celle but note my use of the word "such". It's not uncommon here and I am embarassed. YMMV. But I do not lose a lot of sleep over it and having had many years in the tourism industry, now sadly over, I just roll my eyes and try to give as good a time as possible to visitors as do the majority of Kiwis and Aussies.

I also am not in the "there are no silly questions" camp.

However, asking whether a currency that is widely accepted (even by countries with their own significant currency) is not reasonably considered a silly question. Many tourist shops in major European countries have accepted USD. That doesn't mean they're in the forex business and give you the daily rate +- 2%, but it does mean it's not uncommon and some may prefer the convenience and lack of need to forecast amount needed to change in advance.

Further to the implication this is a silly question or offensive, I've never seen anyone having a go at the Aussies in this forum asking if they can use AUD in Noumea and so on...

Archived