How far out does the Spanish tax cease

cruzadict

I know that we are unable to purchase a beverage package before boarding on our upcoming Constellation cruise from Barcelona because of the 8% ~Spanish tax. Does anyone know the earliest we can purchase this on board where we won't have to pay the tax.

I know that we are unable to purchase a beverage package before boarding on our upcoming Constellation cruise from Barcelona because of the 8% ~Spanish tax. Does anyone know the earliest we can purchase this on board where we won't have to pay the tax.

This is an interesting question.

I thought it was applcable for the entire cruise as it orignates and finishes in Spain.

I am doing B2B on Adventure OTS in 4 weeks time and am very interested in the response.

This is an interesting question.

I thought it was applcable for the entire cruise as it orignates and finishes in Spain.

I am doing B2B on Adventure OTS in 4 weeks time and am very interested in the response.

If your embarking port is a port in Spain and the itinerary is not leaving the European Union, the tax is applicable for the whole duration of the cruise (even if you go to another country then Spain). However, if you are leaving the EU during the cruise (for example Turkey, Croatia or Egypt), then the tax is only applicable in Spanish ports and within 12 miles. So far your Connie cruise, you'll always have to pay the tax.

It is classed as a coastal cruise as it begins and ends in Spain - despite the fact that you visit other EU countries- so the tax applies to the whole cruise -sorry! If you were going to just one non-EU country the tax would stop 12miles out.

Because of this, I really think X do need to re-evaluate their itineraries to fit in one non-EU port in all cruises. Drinks are expensive enough already without 23% on top IMO.

I did a seven night intinerary--from Barcelona to Rome--on Azamara that never left the European Union... The tax--on virtually everything [including laundry, photos, spa services, T-Pool subscription, etc] was 18%--not 8%--during the entire trip... And though the tax is recoverable under certain circumstances for the purchase of goods in the on-board shops [as I recall, one would need to have at least one purchase of approximately $155 to qualify for recovery], the tax is never recoverable on services...

It will make me think twice about selecting an itinerary that originates in Spain and never leaves the EU in the future... In the spa, for instance, every service cost more than a third more between gratuities [the Azamara default is 18%] and the 18% tax...

If your embarking port is a port in Spain and the itinerary is not leaving the European Union, the tax is applicable for the whole duration of the cruise (even if you go to another country then Spain). However, if you are leaving the EU during the cruise (for example Turkey, Croatia or Egypt), then the tax is only applicable in Spanish ports and within 12 miles. So far your Connie cruise, you'll always have to pay the tax.

If this is the case then it doesn't make sense for X to prevent us from purchasing drinks packages prior to our cruise as we are going to pay the tax anyway.

Sorry - to clarify it is 8% on drinks and 18% on services.

If this is the case then it doesn't make sense for X to prevent us from purchasing drinks packages prior to our cruise as we are going to pay the tax anyway.
-It is probably more technology driven - I guess it it is too difficult to get their websites updated to sometimes charge an extra 8% and other times not to.

Sorry got my dates wrong. Ship departs 30 Oct and of course doesn't leave European Union. Hence the Spanish tax. But is it 8% or 18%. That is the question

To clarify it is 8% on drinks (on top of the usual 15% service charge) and 18% on services (such as spa treatments on top of the 15% service charge) and goods - so if you buy a teeshirt it will have 18% on it.

I doubt if the duty free shop will be open as there is no duty free in the EU any more. Someone may clarify/correct that point.

I have never heard of it being added on the internet packages and it is not added to the shore excursions.

The reason I read somewhere that X has to impose this tax onboard and other lines like NCL don't, was, that X has an office and employees in Spain where as NCL are based in Frankfurt so don't.

The reason I read somewhere that X has to impose this tax onboard and other lines like NCL don't, was, that X has an office and employees in Spain where as NCL are based in Frankfurt so don't.

Thanks. Clarifications help us all understand.

Sue

Archived