Marina Penthouse Question

lovetocruise16

We have a guaranteed PH2 for the Marina Feb.8 MIA-SFO cruise, and are waitlisted for a PH1. We have been "assigned" to PH 11001 (a PH2), and we are questioning its location on the ship. It appears to have the bridge directly next to it, and we wonder if we will have an obstructive view from our balcony. It's difficult to tell with the deck plans and photos we've seen. We realize the PH's are all identical; however, PH11001 will also be at the front of the ship, and will feel the waves should the seas become rough. Hence our desire for a stateroom amidships. We are waitlisted, but would appreciate any input as to accepting this stateroom should a PH1 not become available. Any ideas? Thanks! :confused:

I suppose that will be hard to answer until someone has sailed on the ship ...

At least so it seems to me. I guess someone who can read plans better than I can would be better able to answer, however.

Certainly, there will be more motion. The furthest forward (other than a Vista Suite) than I recall was 8006 on the Nautica (when it was the R5) which is very close to the Bridge and I don't recall any visibility problems. We also didn't have any motion sickness problems, but this cruise was Athens-Istanbul and we didn't have any real "weather".

We were at a captain's dinner on one of our "R" ship cruises and unfortunately I cannot locate my comments. My diary on that trip was pretty much on a "to be done" status. But I recall the captain not caring for the way the "R" ships handle. I wish I could remember the specifics but I think it just had to do with the dimensions of the ship.

MARINA being larger should handle heavy seas somewhat better as far as the comfort angle is concerned. And I guess we would like to think that she has been designed better than the "R" ships which date from the early 1990s!

So good luck on being moved more midships! I myself would go for it in case the answer is not forthcoming. It would appear that with a February 2011 sailing you can't wait for passenger responses to decide to make final payment or not, so you hope for your PH1 to appear or bite the bullet.

If the bridge is "next" to your cabin, how would that affect you??? On the "R" ships (as I recall) the bridge is in FRONT of the PH3s.

A question of my own: wouldn't it be the PH3s that are affected by this location? I admit I haven't looked in detail at the plans of the ship. We are booked on a September 2011 cruise (Venice-Istanbul) in 11048 which is a PH1.

Good luck! Especially on more intelligent answers than mine ...

Mura

Actually, it is right next to Officers' Quarters, with the bridge in front of those.

Difficult to tell how much a forward view might be obstructed, but I should think it would be a very minor obstruction.

I would be more concerned about bow-slap noise and vibration, being so far forward, and the bow thrusters might pose a problem also.

Oceania-Marina.jpgThis photo of the Marina under construction shows the width of the officers quarters, which gives you an idea of how far you are from the bridge wing.

((Note)) Whenever we've sailed with passengers who were close enough to see the officers on the bridge wings from their verandah, they considered it a plus. :)

Archived