help needed

welshlady39

we are on adventure of the seas next sept one of the stops is civitavecchia for rome we were goin to book through the ship but they want £123 each and u only get bout 45min free time we mainly want to go to the vatican can anyone help on how to do it ourselves this is our first cruise thank you:)

There are a lot of detailed posts on this board on how to use the train to get from Civitavecchia to Rome, and if you scan even a couple of pages you'll find them. So I'll just give the basics here. It's quite easy.

1. Take the port shuttle in Civitavecchia to the port gates.

2. Walk about 4 blocks to the train station (you'll see others doing the same).

3. Purchase a BIRG ticket for about 9 euro per person; this will include your round-trip train fare and use of the metro and bus system (excluding the HOHO bus) in Rome.

4. Take the train to the San Pietro stop, which is closest to the Vatican. Walk toward the dome of St Peters; about a 20 minute walk.

5. If you want to see the Vatican museum, the entrance is another 15-20 minute walk beyond the Basilica. I suggest making a reservation for entry in advance at the Vatican website: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

6. Enjoy your day doing the Vatican and whatever else you have planned. Be sure to plan on taking the train back in plenty of time to reach the ship, keeping in mind walking distances, train times, and the amount of time needed to take the shuttle back to your ship. I generally plan to take the train before the last train that would get me back ontime, just to allow a safety cushion.

As I said above, read some of the many detailed posts here that provide step-by-step instructions, links to the train schedules, etc.

Have fun and enjoy Rome!

Hi. You could also post this question on your rollcall. You might be able to get a group together to share a transfer. It doesn't seem that difficult and would be a bit easier than taking the train, if you are not able to do all the walking. But then it will be more expensive...there will also be lots of people on your ship who will be using the train route, I am sure. So, if you post this question, I am sure you will get lots of help. Have a great trip..planning is half the fun....L

Archived