Spirit or Pearl??

sr5242

planning to take my 72 yr old dad and 66 yr old mom on an NCL cruise next april 2011. both have limited walking endurance and mobility. we are looking at cruises on the pearl and the spirit? can anyone tell me which of these 2 ships would be best for someone with limited mobility?

or any other pros/cons of each ship?

thanks!

This is just my humble opinion but having been on both ships I feel I can honestly say that I think the Spirit may appeal to the older generation more than the Pearl.

It is a little bit smaller than the Pearl too, but the decor is more mature. The Spirit has unique qualities the other NCL ships don't have.

But I like the Pearl too!:)

This is just my humble opinion but having been on both ships I feel I can honestly say that I think the Spirit may appeal to the older generation more than the Pearl.

It is a little bit smaller than the Pearl too, but the decor is more mature. The Spirit has unique qualities the other NCL ships don't have.

But I like the Pearl too!:)

I would agree with all of that.

it is the ONLY ship that ncl owns that is truely in its own class IMHO. very easy to navigate everything and they have a card room which might interest them. they can also use the spa which is free and has a sauna plus steam room and nice changing room also . plus who knows how long we will have the spirit any ways :D

I love the Spirit quite a bit but I do have to factor into the equation what you said about your parent's limited ability to ambulate. Do they use scooters and how are they going up and down stairs?

The Pearl will more than likely be more handicap accessible if there is a wheelchair involved. I never stopped to think of this until I highly recommended the Spirit sailing out of Boston to someone and then they took their mother who was confined to a wheelchair. The Spirit was not really as handicap accessible as the Jewel class ships (which includes the Pearl).

One area that comes to mind is the shops. On the Spirit there are stairs for the entrance to them and on the Jewel-class ships there are not. I can't remember the other things mentioned but I do know that the areas on the Spirit are tighter to get through because the ship is smaller (in the atrium area). If they can walk fine and do a few stairs then I highly recommend the Spirit. If not, then go with the Pearl.

Hope this helps. :)

Archived