Tour Vendors at Pier?

hartskys

Will there be tour companies offering tours at the pier? We went to Grand Cayman last May and thought we were just going to walk around the shops and there were several tour companies offering island tours. We walked by them the first time when they offered us a tour for $20 pp went into a store came out and a gentleman came up and offered us the tour for $15 pp. I didn't research any tours like that so a police officer was at the corner so I went down and asked him if they were legit and he responded oh, yes and they drive nice air conditioned buses. So we decided to do the tour and honestly it was one of the best tours we had been on. It lasted almost 5 hours and the driver was amazing. Just wondered if St Thomas has tour vendors like this too?

When we were there 2 years ago, there were plenty of taxi drivers offering tours. I think that is pretty much every caribbean island I have been to! They were right where the water taxi drops you off.

We shared a nice new van with 2 other couples. It was $25 each for about 4 hours. Complete circle of the island with a couple scenic stops, shopping in Marigot and beach time at Orient beach.

I will be there in 2 weeks and will confirm, but Im sure they haven't gone anywhere.:)

When we were there 2 years ago, there were plenty of taxi drivers offering tours. I think that is pretty much every caribbean island I have been to! They were right where the water taxi drops you off.

We shared a nice new van with 2 other couples. It was $25 each for about 4 hours. Complete circle of the island with a couple scenic stops, shopping in Marigot and beach time at Orient beach.

I will be there in 2 weeks and will confirm, but Im sure they haven't gone anywhere.:)

Thanks and please report back after you return - Have a great time! :)

Will there be tour companies offering tours at the pier? We went to Grand Cayman <snip> Just wondered if St Thomas has tour vendors like this too?

St. Maarten is nothing like Grand Cayman with the tour operators soliciting as you exit the tender area, as I recall it.

The only tours that you will find offered at the Cruise Facility are either pre-booked, like with Bernard or Joyce Prince,

or a basic, structured, fixed-fee tour offered by the Taxi Association, as mentioned in the above post.

As Bernard mentions on his website:

Q. Can you accommodate 'Walk-Up' customers, or must all reservations be made in advance?

A. Unfortunately, we can no longer accept 'Walk-Up' clients, as the Island Government requires that we show a

reservation before picking up our guests at the cruise terminal.

The tours that the Taxi Association offers are substantial, and offer many options. You can check them out at the Association website.

Some of the choices are:

Circle Tour, 3 hours, $90 for one or two, down to $25 in a group of 8 - 14.

City Tour, 2 1/2 hours, $70 for one or two, down to $20.

Mountain Top (includes Pic Paradis), 2 hours, $100 to $35.

Inner Island, 1 1/2 hours, $50 - $15

All Day, 1 - 6 persons, $250.

Fun & Snorkel, 3 hours, $32, includes beach chair, food and drink, no snorkel gear, but can be rented with umbrellas.

gary

Those Taxi Association tours sound quite good. Has anyone done them?

Also would it be ok to wait until we get there and then book one at the pier? I'm not sure what we will feel like doing when we get to St Martin and also depends what the weather will be like. If its a beautiful day we might just go to a beach. If weather is not so nice, might feel like doing more of a tour. I would like the flexibility of booking something when we get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just got back Saturday. You have a couple options once docked.

1) Take the water taxi to downtown and negotiate a tour/price with a taxi. There are LOTS of them waiting right by where you are let off.

2) As you walk off the ship you will see a yellow building on your right, with a large sign "TAXI's and TOURS". They have taxi's to all of the popular spots where you fill the van and go. They also have structured tours with fixed prices as GTaylor mentioned. Sorry, I didnt have time to check the prices.

It was very well organized and lots of people to help you get want you need. Your other option of course is to pre-book with someone like Bernard. Hope that helps,

Steve

Found this web site once: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v357/gtaylor/Taxi/?action=view&current=DSCN3852b.jpg

It has photos of the taxi rate board at the pier from a couple years back, prices probably haven't changed too much. The photo in the link above shows the standard taxi tours offered. If you go to the album you'll see photos of the rate posters for other taxi trips.

Found this web site once: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v357/gtaylor/Taxi/?action=view&current=DSCN3852b.jpg

It has photos of the taxi rate board at the pier from a couple years back, prices probably haven't changed too much. The photo in the link above shows the standard taxi tours offered. If you go to the album you'll see photos of the rate posters for other taxi trips.

Those are my photos over at PhotoBucket, and if you do go to the album, you'll see that the very first photo is a screencapture of my post here saying that the rates were changing.

th_taxichange.jpg

(click)

With a link to the Taxi Association website and the new rates for taxi rides and tours.

Click through and you'll find the prices.

gary

How easy is it to get a taxi once you're at Orient Beach, in Marigot or some other location on the island? Are there taxis waiting at most of the tourist spots?

Seems like I noticed somewhere that they no longer allow the taxi drivers to negotiate personal tour prices with individuals, although this rule may not stop some of them.

Richard

How easy is it to get a taxi once you're at Orient Beach, in Marigot or some other location on the island? Are there taxis waiting at most of the tourist spots?

Seems like I noticed somewhere that they no longer allow the taxi drivers to negotiate personal tour prices with individuals, although this rule may not stop some of them.

Richard

At Orient, you'll find a lineup of taxis, with drivers even walking the beach looking for riders, especially near the end of the day.

In Marigot, taxis should be available, but at other, out of the way spots, making advance arrangements would be advised.

gary

Archived