Tell me about Christmas aboard a cruise ship

sherry7

Lots of special activities--if RCI's anything like Princess! We've never cruised RCI over Christmas, but we were on the Golden Princess a few years ago and enjoyed watching Santa's arrival in the grand atrium area on Christmas Day. The whole atrium was filled with different stations at which kids could do various holiday-themed arts and crafts. We also got a little stocking with a Christmas card and candy cane from our cabin attendant (and left a card for her as well). Our teenaged daughter and friend made cards for us somewhere on the ship (maybe the teen club, though I don't recall them participating in any other activities there...) We were at sea on Christmas and it was a formal night; they offered a traditional turkey dinner as well as plenty of other choices. And there was a Catholic priest aboard who said Mass every day, including Christmas.

Enjoy your cruise--we'll be on the Enchantment for Thanksgiving (our first Thanksgiving cruise), and are hoping they put up the Christmas decorations while we're aboard so we can enjoy them too!

Yes there are a lot more kids than on "normal" cruises since kids are usually off of school for Christmas break it is easier for families to travel. The decorations on the ship are a lot of fun, plus it is fun to be in port, it's 90 degrees there is Christmas music playing in the shops and you have the satisfaction of knowing that everyone back home is shoveling snow!

Lots of special activities--if RCI's anything like Princess! We've never cruised RCI over Christmas, but we were on the Golden Princess a few years ago and enjoyed watching Santa's arrival in the grand atrium area on Christmas Day. The whole atrium was filled with different stations at which kids could do various holiday-themed arts and crafts. We also got a little stocking with a Christmas card and candy cane from our cabin attendant (and left a card for her as well). Our teenaged daughter and friend made cards for us somewhere on the ship (maybe the teen club, though I don't recall them participating in any other activities there...) We were at sea on Christmas and it was a formal night; they offered a traditional turkey dinner as well as plenty of other choices. And there was a Catholic priest aboard who said Mass every day, including Christmas.

Enjoy your cruise--we'll be on the Enchantment for Thanksgiving (our first Thanksgiving cruise), and are hoping they put up the Christmas decorations while we're aboard so we can enjoy them too!

Sounds fun! I will be taking our 8 month old baby, and I'm sure she'll be excited seeing Santa's arrival. LOL, I'm a big kid myself, so I'll be excited too. :p

BTW, I was originally planning on booking the same Enchantment Thanksgiving cruise you are taking, but it ended up not working with my son's college schedule.

A lot more children than your previous cruises.

That's putting it mildly AlanAllyn! :eek: We usually cruise in January, so there's never been more than a handful of kids on the ship. I think we'll be in for a bit of a shock this time around. On the other hand, I'm taking our 8 month old baby, so maybe I'll have more tolerance for other people's kids this time around. :)

We were on the Independence Christmas of 2008. 1100 kids (including our two teens). Santa arrived by rigid inflatable in Cozumel -- fortunately on our side of the ship (he arrived early) so I could watch from the balcony in my bathrobe. Then he comes on the ship and there was a special event with a small gift for kids (which we did not attend). Santa then had to get back to his regular job on the ship. I believe the dinner menu was turkey, prime rib, and brisket and latkas (it was Hannukah too). We buy some decorations from the dollar store to decorate our staterooms, but it is still surreal to hear Christmas carols in very warm weather of the caribbean.

We will be cruising on our 5th Christmas in a row this year. I absolutely love it. We like to do the cruises that encompass Christmas AND New Year's. So wonderful not to have to cook, travel to visit people, clean up. It's just fabulous! Yes.......there are a lot of kids and we don't have any. But that doesn't bother us too much. We just don't frequent the areas of the ship that they do.

We have been on three cruises over Christmas. They always have an event where Santa arrives and there is a small gift for the kids. They usually have singing of carols by the staff and passengers.

Last year on Celebrity Summit they had Eggnog for a couple of events that was free without alcohol or pay with the whiskey. That room steward also gave my kids a real gift. I think a robe for my son and a cookbook? for my daughter. They were 12 and 14.

Turkey and such are served.

It is also fun to learn about Jewish traditions and try some traditional foods when the timing is right.

Not a traditional holiday, but it is great!

We take a small tree with lights and ornaments and a few other room decorations.

Have a great time.

We were on the Independence Christmas of 2008. 1100 kids (including our two teens). Santa arrived by rigid inflatable in Cozumel -- fortunately on our side of the ship (he arrived early) so I could watch from the balcony in my bathrobe. Then he comes on the ship and there was a special event with a small gift for kids (which we did not attend). Santa then had to get back to his regular job on the ship. I believe the dinner menu was turkey, prime rib, and brisket and latkas (it was Hannukah too). We buy some decorations from the dollar store to decorate our staterooms, but it is still surreal to hear Christmas carols in very warm weather of the caribbean.

After ten years in South Florida, I am used to tropical Christmases, but your post reminded me of a Christmas spent vacationing in Orlando years ago. We were sitting under the awning of our RV after three solid days of rain with temperatures in the eighties, listening to "Walking in a Winter Wonderland". A man walking his dog passed by; the man was carrying an umbrella and the dog was wearing a yellow plastic raincoat. Not exactly a winter wonderland :) We have adjusted over the years, and now embrace balmy holidays - can't wait to enjoy Christmas on the Majesty this year.

On Christmas morning, 2005 on Grandeur, the Captain made an announcement that some passengers had noticed that we had slowed down, the reason for this was they had seen a blip on the radar and, in case it was Santa, had shut one of the engines down, so Santa could use it as a chimney. Sure enough a few minutes later, Santa arrived on the pool deck giving out gifts to the children.

On Christmas morning, 2005 on Grandeur, the Captain made an announcement that some passengers had noticed that we had slowed down, the reason for this was they had seen a blip on the radar and, in case it was Santa, had shut one of the engines doen, so Santa could use it as a chimney. Sure enough a few minutes later, Santa arrived on the pool deck giving out gifts to the children.

How fun! I'm sure the little kids love that. :)

As has already been said Royal Caribbean do a wonderful job onboard. The decorations are superb and all the departments pull the stops out. Obviously the kitchen staff feature heavily with displays all over the ship.

Having an ice rink made things particulary festive on explorer. All the kids filed into Studio B to get a gift off Santa and there was egg nog for the adults.

Obviously being in the Caribbean is a little at odds with most people's perception of Christmas but the ship does all it can. We were lucky in that Father Christmas not only visited the cabin but Emily was thrilled to see sled marks in the ground on the CCTV back home - not just used to catch burglars ! Sadly the big man seemed to have escaped capture on the system so we'll never know exactly when in the night he arrived ;)

New years Eve was also celebrated. A packed house on the promenade counted out the old year and in the new one.

To some Christmas has to be celebrated at home but if you are prepared to celebrate elsewhere then Royal Caribbean delivers the goods.

Henry :)

We were on a four day Majesty cruise. On Christmas Day rather than dock in Nassau, the ship sat dead in the water all day long. Looked like Freeport was off in the distance.

Ship was decorated and they had some related activities such as caroling in the Centrum and a Santa in the theater but Christmas was not in your face. In some respects it felt like any other day on a cruise.

We did leave our cabin steward a Christmas card with some $$$ when we left for breakfast. She broke into tears and hugs when we met her back at our cabin later that day.

Not that it belongs on the RCCL threads.....but that is where we cruise now............our story of Christmas.

This goes back to 1996..where I met my DW on the original Love Boat, and 5 days later proposed to her. Some of you know Bobbie, and some of you know our story.

We met leaving Aruba, just 5 days before Christmas.......and on day 4 (OK, I'm nuts) I asked her father (who was traveling with her Mom ) for her hand in marriage.

To my great surprise, he granted my wish. The next evening (Christmas day) the Captain announced our engagement.

(This coming Friday....after almost 14 years of marriage.....we will head north to help him celebrate his 90th Birthday.)

The ship......the old Pacific Princess......and our story has been written up on several occasions.

We are very happily married..........and that is only half of the rest of the story!

You will have to look for the rest of the story. It's on Cruise Critic.....but I won't bother you with it.

Christmas time is a very magical time on cruise ships.......and it happens to be the best of the best times for me!!:D:);)

Rick

Not that it belongs on the RCCL threads.....but that is where we cruise now............our story of Christmas.

This goes back to 1996..where I met my DW on the original Love Boat, and 5 days later proposed to her. Some of you know Bobbie, and some of you know our story.

We met leaving Aruba, just 5 days before Christmas.......and on day 4 (OK, I'm nuts) I asked her father (who was traveling with her Mom ) for her hand in marriage.

To my great surprise, he granted my wish. The next evening (Christmas day) the Captain announced our engagement.

(This coming Friday....after almost 14 years of marriage.....we will head north to help him celebrate his 90th Birthday.)

The ship......the old Pacific Princess......and our story has been written up on several occasions.

We are very happily married..........and that is only half of the rest of the story!

You will have to look for the rest of the story. It's on Cruise Critic.....but I won't bother you with it.

Christmas time is a very magical time on cruise ships.......and it happens to be the best of the best times for me!!:D:);)

Rick

What a great story Rick! I've been off and on the CC boards for a few years, but I missed reading about it. I hope you had "The Love Boat" theme song played at your wedding reception. :) Where can I find the rest of your saga? I'm in the mood for a good love story.

Loved Christmas on Mariner of the Seas 2007. No cleaning, no having to be anywhere, no cooking. Christmas Eve was formal night and there was a Catholic priest on board who celebrated Midnight Mass. Santa arrived in the morning and handed out gifts to the kids. It was a day at sea so very relaxing. We celebrated "home" Christmas before we left so gave cruise related gifts. Beforehand we had drawn names (4 families involved) and had to buy only 1 gift but did do stockings for the "kids". Easier to pack that stuff... I would cruise Christmas again in a heartbeat.

to many kids. The run from one end of the ship to the other pushing all the elevator buttons. They hang out in noisy groups on the stairs all hours of the night. They use the hot tubs as kiddy pools and you all know what kids do in kiddy pools. The parents just let them go wild. We will never go on a holiday cruise again. PH

to many kids. The run from one end of the ship to the other pushing all the elevator buttons. They hang out in noisy groups on the stairs all hours of the night. They use the hot tubs as kiddy pools and you all know what kids do in kiddy pools. The parents just let them go wild. We will never go on a holiday cruise again. PH

We typically cruise in mid-January for just that reason, because there are only a handful of children on the ship. However, Christmas was the only time we can go due to my son's college schedule. Plus, I'll be bringing my 8 month old baby aboard, so I guess we'll fit in with all of the other families with children. I won't let her pee in the pool though, okay? ;) :p :D

We will be cruising in Europe on Brillance from the 17-29 of December. We will be in Egypt on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. I am really curious if it will even seem like Chrsitmas at all?? Any thoughts? I hadn't thought of bringing any decorations with weight restrictions and all but think I might try and sneak in a few!

My one and only Grandchild is now 17 years old, but I would love to have our family go on a Christmas cruise. It's been my dream for several years, but we've never been able to budget and/or get time off, since my SIL is a policeman and he is usually working on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. While we have no little ones, I think it would be absolutely magical to see the children celebrate with Santa on the ship. When I win the lottery (LOL), I'm booking a Christmas cruise for my entire family!!! I will be delighted to write a detailed review upon my return, between booking many other cruises for my family to enjoy. :D

Archived