Will be on Jewel in a few weeks

cruz4evr

I was on in September and had a great time. On Port Canaveral port day they offered a 2 for 1 at some of the specialty restaurants and so we went to Le Bistro. Go very early for the Cirque show because it will be standing room only before it even starts. Don't miss the pretzel rolls. Anything in particular you wanted to know?

I was on in September and had a great time. On Port Canaveral port day they offered a 2 for 1 at some of the specialty restaurants and so we went to Le Bistro. Go very early for the Cirque show because it will be standing room only before it even starts. Don't miss the pretzel rolls. Anything in particular you wanted to know?

Thanks for the above information!

I was wondering about a few other things..............

What is the earliest we can embark, is there a good variety of food at the buffet and would we have a good choice of places to go to dance after dinner? :)

DH and I will be cruising on the Jewel in a few weeks for the first time......any comments would be appreciated whether positive or negative. :D

We love the Jewel! We keep going back to see her and her staff.:)

What is the earliest we can embark, is there a good variety of food at the buffet and would we have a good choice of places to go to dance after dinner? :)

we had a WONDERFUL time on our January cruise...the STAFF and HD JOHN go out of their way to make it that way!! be sure to meet them at the M&G

they did have a good variety of food, we can always find enough to eat between the MDR/Buffet and Blue Lagoon!

the place for dancing probably Spinnaker very small dance floor tho--they have a nightly band or entertainment there...if you have alot of kids or young people on your cruise, chances are you wont get a spot on the floor!

Took the Jewel in April. NCL clears floors in order so top to bottom so depending on what floor and cabin type you have you many have to wait for your cabin if you board too early.

We loved the Jewel..good food in the buffet..we like to sit AFT in the morning and there is a small aft buffet so you can avoid some of the madness inside. My husband spied LOX and had the omelet guy fix him special omelets with the LOX by the end of the cruise we saw lots of people following suit!

Try to eat at Teppanyaki but you will need to make your reservation the minute you get on the ship. It is worth every penny of the $25!!

When you go see the Cirque show believe them when they say don't sit in the first 16 rows AND get their 45 minutes early!

ENJOY! Donna

We love the Jewel! We keep going back to see her and her staff.:)

That's great to hear! Anything specific that you really love about the Jewel as compared to other NCL cruise ships you've been on?

we had a WONDERFUL time on our January cruise...the STAFF and HD JOHN go out of their way to make it that way!! be sure to meet them at the M&G

they did have a good variety of food, we can always find enough to eat between the MDR/Buffet and Blue Lagoon!

the place for dancing probably Spinnaker very small dance floor tho--they have a nightly band or entertainment there...if you have alot of kids or young people on your cruise, chances are you wont get a spot on the floor!

Thanks STARFISH*4 for all your advice! I will definitely seek out the STAFF and HD JOHN while at the M&G!

Since it's not spring break or a holiday week, hopefully we can get a space on the dance floor. :D

I'm sure you didn't want your cruise to end! ;)

DH and I will be cruising on the Jewel in a few weeks for the first time......any comments would be appreciated whether positive or negative. :D

That's great to hear! Anything specific that you really love about the Jewel compared to other cruises you've been on or have you always cruised the Jewel?

I'll be back on the Jewel next month for the 4th time! I just love the ship & the staff. I usually arrive between 11 & 11:30 and normally I'm on board around noon. Keep in mind that staterooms aren't ready til around 2.

I am a fan of the Jewel's buffet. She has lots of stations with a great variety and I find it pretty easy navigate. I recommend doing a quick browse before filling your plate for the first time, though, because there is so much to pick from! In the evening between 6 & 8 (I think those are the times) they make crepes to order and they are yummy!

I am hoping my favorite bartender is still onboard at the Tapas Bar. He put on a great margarita clinic and makes awesome sangria, plus he is adorable! Not much of a dancer, but I am never at a loss for something to do in the evenings. I have danced at the White Hot Party, though :D

Took the Jewel in April. NCL clears floors in order so top to bottom so depending on what floor and cabin type you have you many have to wait for your cabin if you board too early.

We loved the Jewel..good food in the buffet..we like to sit AFT in the morning and there is a small aft buffet so you can avoid some of the madness inside. My husband spied LOX and had the omelet guy fix him special omelets with the LOX by the end of the cruise we saw lots of people following suit!

Try to eat at Teppanyaki but you will need to make your reservation the minute you get on the ship. It is worth every penny of the $25!!

When you go see the Cirque show believe them when they say don't sit in the first 16 rows AND get their 45 minutes early!

ENJOY! Donna

Thanks Donna, I really appreciate all your advice. It's good to hear that there is an omelette station, DH and I love those!

Can't wait to see the Cirque show!

I'll be back on the Jewel next month for the 4th time! I just love the ship & the staff. I usually arrive between 11 & 11:30 and normally I'm on board around noon. Keep in mind that staterooms aren't ready til around 2.

I am a fan of the Jewel's buffet. She has lots of stations with a great variety and I find it pretty easy navigate. I recommend doing a quick browse before filling your plate for the first time, though, because there is so much to pick from! In the evening between 6 & 8 (I think those are the times) they make crepes to order and they are yummy!

I am hoping my favorite bartender is still onboard at the Tapas Bar. He put on a great margarita clinic and makes awesome sangria, plus he is adorable! Not much of a dancer, but I am never at a loss for something to do in the evenings. I have danced at the White Hot Party, though :D

Thanks for your comments dznymom! It sounds as if you REALLY love this ship if you're going on it for the 4th time! You'll be boarding as we're getting off.

I'll keep an eye out for that cute bartender at the Tapas bar! ;) :D

That's great to hear! Anything specific that you really love about the Jewel as compared to other NCL cruise ships you've been on?

John O'Hara is the thing I like about the Jewel compared to other ships. Actually the senior management onboard the ship from John O'Hara, Hotel Director to Captain Konstantinos Fafalios to Bar Manager Katya... you're in great hands onboard the Jewel! DJ Jean is the best resident DJ in the NCL fleet IMHO and she's on the Jewel too! :D

John O'Hara is the thing I like about the Jewel compared to other ships. Actually the senior management onboard the ship from John O'Hara, Hotel Director to Captain Konstantinos Fafalios to Bar Manager Katya... you're in great hands onboard the Jewel! DJ Jean is the best resident DJ in the NCL fleet IMHO and she's on the Jewel too! :D

This all sounds very encouraging.....thanks!!! :)

I noticed you didn't care for your cruise aboard the Carnival Destiny.

I noticed you didn't care for your cruise aboard the Carnival Destiny.

Ha ha... yeah... that's a road of which I try not to speak of very much.

I was taught if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. That trip on the Destiny was the worst cruise I've EVER taken in my life and has always ranked as the worst since as well. Food superb but my heavens the rest of it was nightmarish!

A bad day of cruising always beats the best day in the office... unless you're on a Carnival Cruise ship :eek: IMHO. 'nuff said. :D

Ha ha... yeah... that's a road of which I try not to speak of very much.

I was taught if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. That trip on the Destiny was the worst cruise I've EVER taken in my life and has always ranked as the worst since as well. Food superb but my heavens the rest of it was nightmarish!

A bad day of cruising always beats the best day in the office... unless you're on a Carnival Cruise ship :eek: IMHO. 'nuff said. :D

LOL! Well I won't dig any further but thanks for the comment.

We've cruised on the Carnival Miracle and enjoyed the ship, didn't have any issues although I would not rate it as my FAVORITE ship...............loved the melting chocolate cake! :p

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience on the Destiny.

1. John O'Hara, housing director's ship board extension, is 8888, and he will handle all, repeat, all complaints and/or requests for service. Go to your roll call, I am sure, there will be a meet and greet for cruise critic members, and I guarrantee John and the senior management will be there.

2. As mentioned before, the buffet is broken up to many service stations so there is no need for waiting on long lines, unique among NCL ships. My favorite is the Indian food station.

3. Maltings has the best beer selection. Love Heinkens on draft. Only bar on the ship that gives you a 22 oz glass of cold draft beer for $5.95 plus tip. Jim, I believe, is the best bar tender there and he leads the beer tasting for $15 plus tip, well worth it. He also leads the bourbon and whiskey tastings, he serves a mean glass size.

4. Bring a white outfit, you need it for the White Hot Party.

5. The rear aft elevator only goes down to the sixth floor, the only elevator that does so, and so, you have to use another elevator to down to the lower floors.

6. Of the main dining rooms, I thought the Azura was the most intimate one. The Tsars' dining room was a bit gaudy.

7. I believe embarkation starts at 11:30. On that day, get to the Tsar's dining room for a quiet lunch. The only MDR open for lunch. It is much better than eating at the "crazy" poolside buffet, where 99% of the cruisers will be eating. Remember, the Tsar's closes for lunch at 2 pm.

The Jewel was the best NCL ship that I was on, and I have done 5 cruises. Best crew there is.

1. John O'Hara, housing director's ship board extension, is 8888, and he will handle all, repeat, all complaints and/or requests for service. Go to your roll call, I am sure, there will be a meet and greet for cruise critic members, and I guarrantee John and the senior management will be there.

2. As mentioned before, the buffet is broken up to many service stations so there is no need for waiting on long lines, unique among NCL ships. My favorite is the Indian food station.

3. Maltings has the best beer selection. Love Heinkens on draft. Only bar on the ship that gives you a 22 oz glass of cold draft beer for $5.95 plus tip. Jim, I believe, is the best bar tender there and he leads the beer tasting for $15 plus tip, well worth it. He also leads the bourbon and whiskey tastings, he serves a mean glass size.

4. Bring a white outfit, you need it for the White Hot Party.

5. The rear aft elevator only goes down to the sixth floor, the only elevator that does so, and so, you have to use another elevator to down to the lower floors.

6. Of the main dining rooms, I thought the Azura was the most intimate one. The Tsars' dining room was a bit gaudy.

7. I believe embarkation starts at 11:30. On that day, get to the Tsar's dining room for a quiet lunch. The only MDR open for lunch. It is much better than eating at the "crazy" poolside buffet, where 99% of the cruisers will be eating. Remember, the Tsar's closes for lunch at 2 pm.

The Jewel was the best NCL ship that I was on, and I have done 5 cruises. Best crew there is.

Wow! Thanks for all this information Richpontone!

I am curious, what is the White Hot Party and where is it held? Sounds like fun!!

Search this thread for my review Sept 4 sailing I also give info from the freestyle dailies

Kathy

Andrea,

if you want any info off the dailies, I've got all of them and will gladly look for you.

We've been on Miracle twice and her sister ships Legend and Pride. You will find the Jewel very subdued compared to Miracle. Rich felt Tsar's was gaudy, but the MDR on Miracle is a grape fest:D Compared to the Miracle is very very classy. You will definitely find the buffet layout to be much better than Miracle. You can walk around and read all the offerings on the sneeze guards above the food. Then you just grab a plate and go. The silverware is already in linens on the table and the staff are quick to remove your empty plates.

While I didn't spend time back there the great outdoors looks like a nice spot to eat lunch or breakfast as long as the weather cooperates. NCL shows far above Miracle. I loved every one of them.

That said I have NEVER had a bad cruise. We were so blessed this trip as Hurricane Earl was making a hell of a mess out of cruise itineraries. I thought the seas were like glass although I overheard a couple complaining about the seas being rough one night. Not me, rocked me to sleep.

You'll find your balcony cabin much smaller than Miracle but they are quite manageable. The best thing we like about our balcony was we were able to get the partition opened between balconies with no crap. On the Miracle one each from the cabins had to go to the pursers desk and sign paperwork to have the partitions opened. This had to be done by maintenance. I've heard they won't even open them now. This trip our cabin steward, Gusti, opened the partition for us. The Miracle staff both years were absolutely fantastic and all the crew on board the Jewel were just as good.

Enjoy your cruise.

Kathy

Make sure you go to the roll call thread and sign up for your roll call. There is usually a meet and greet on the first sea day where you get to meet the Captain, and heads of other departments. John O'Hara and Captain K came to our last May. We even got an invite to view the bridge...which was wonderful.

Make sure you go to the roll call thread and sign up for your roll call. There is usually a meet and greet on the first sea day where you get to meet the Captain, and heads of other departments. John O'Hara and Captain K came to our last May. We even got an invite to view the bridge...which was wonderful.

Thanks, yes I have already signed up for the M&G. I hope the captain does show up and perhaps we'll get an invitation too to see the bridge. :)

Andrea,

if you want any info off the dailies, I've got all of them and will gladly look for you.

We've been on Miracle twice and her sister ships Legend and Pride. You will find the Jewel very subdued compared to Miracle. Rich felt Tsar's was gaudy, but the MDR on Miracle is a grape fest:D Compared to the Miracle is very very classy. You will definitely find the buffet layout to be much better than Miracle. You can walk around and read all the offerings on the sneeze guards above the food. Then you just grab a plate and go. The silverware is already in linens on the table and the staff are quick to remove your empty plates.

While I didn't spend time back there the great outdoors looks like a nice spot to eat lunch or breakfast as long as the weather cooperates. NCL shows far above Miracle. I loved every one of them.

That said I have NEVER had a bad cruise. We were so blessed this trip as Hurricane Earl was making a hell of a mess out of cruise itineraries. I thought the seas were like glass although I overheard a couple complaining about the seas being rough one night. Not me, rocked me to sleep.

You'll find your balcony cabin much smaller than Miracle but they are quite manageable. The best thing we like about our balcony was we were able to get the partition opened between balconies with no crap. On the Miracle one each from the cabins had to go to the pursers desk and sign paperwork to have the partitions opened. This had to be done by maintenance. I've heard they won't even open them now. This trip our cabin steward, Gusti, opened the partition for us. The Miracle staff both years were absolutely fantastic and all the crew on board the Jewel were just as good.

Enjoy your cruise.

Kathy

I read your informative review of your cruise on the Jewel and enjoyed it very much. Thanks also for the above information as well. What is the White Hot Party I have heard people mention?

DH and I are really looking forward to cruising on this magnificent ship and to experience the good service as well since we've heard so many positive comments.

Thanks again Kathy! :):)

Cruised on the Jewel for the second time in September. We arrived at the pier about 11AM and were on the ship within 30-40 minutes. One of the posters suggested Tsars for lunch and I would agree. The buffet is a bit crazy on embarkation day. Although, if you board early, the staff will direct you to the buffet because Tsars doesn't open until noon. We waited. We were treated royally at our CC Meet and Greet by the Captain, the Executive Chef, the Hotel Director (the famous John O'Hara), the cruise director, some of the entertainers. We were introduced to several other department heads as well. (They excused themselves after the introductions to get back to their jobs). This was the first time we've gone to a Meet and Greet and it was so worth it. The Jewel has a great crew. If you stop by the Martini Bar ask Jonas, the bartender, to show you how he makes an olive disappear. Tell him Frank sent you.

I loved the Jewel. They have great specialty restaurants. But I really enjoyed the entertainment. They had some variation of Cirque Dreams and Second City when I was on board. The Jewel is also a pretty modern ship with air conditioning vents on the back of all theater seating. I believe only the Pearl also has that (not sure about the Epic).

Hope you have a great trip

Make sure you write a review when you get back.

Archived