Anchorage to Seward.

neversink4

"best" means different things to different people; cheapest? quickest? most convenient?

It is a very scenic drive so my personal preference would be to drive a car so that I could pull over for photo ops, such as beluga whales at the point, or trumpeter swans at Potters Marsh, or moose or mountain goats, or to enjoy the mountains across the water. And if you have the time you can also pull into the Portage Glacier and do a 1 hr boat trip or ride the tram at Mt Alyeska, or just outside Seward you could stop at Exit Glacier and walk a mile to the face of it.

The train and bus would be a scenic route as well, but you can't stop. Many people think the train ride is absolutely fantastic.

Can't speak for the train or bus because I haven't tried them (though I have heard the train ride is spectacular!).

However, the drive is definitely easy on a well-maintained road. Just head north! Expect about a 3 hour drive. There are literally dozens of places to pull off the road, either for scenic viewing/photo opportunities, or for roadside attractions, or for short strolls to stretch your legs (or long hikes, if that's your thing). You could easily spend a day exploring the areas between Seward and Anchorage.

After doing the drive, I can't imagine taking a bus - it was great to travel on the schedule we wanted with the stops we wanted. Plus you don't have to lean over strangers to see the scenery on the opposite side of the road, a potential issue on a bus.

On the next trip to Alaska, I definitely would love to take the train...truly, it's supposed to be beautiful, but you will have to decide if you want the flexibility of having a car and being able to stop along the way or if you want to sit back and enjoy the scenery.

However, the drive is definitely easy on a well-maintained road. Just head north! Expect about a 3 hour drive. There are literally dozens of places to pull off the road, either for scenic viewing/photo opportunities, or for roadside attractions, or for short strolls to stretch your legs (or long hikes, if that's your thing). You could easily spend a day exploring the areas between Seward and Anchorage.

It's not north to Seward from Anchorage, but south.

Susan in Anchorage :)

What would be the best way to travel between Anchorage and Seward?

Train, car or bus?

I would say a car or the train. But having said that in regards to the car, there is only one car rental agency in Seward (Hertz) so if you rent a car here in Anchorage and leave it there, be ready for a good sized drop off fee.

I've taken the train a few times and really enjoy it.

If you're interested in taking a Kenai Fjords boat tour, the train schedule works great with this.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Train, car or bus?

Get in touch with PJ's Taxi in Seward. Renee there will come and pick you up in Anchorage and drive you to Seward. There were four of us that took that option and the cost was less than the train. Renee stretched it to about a 6 hour drive for us, stopping at many beautiful places along the way such as Alyeska Resort, a couple of rivers with salmon spawning, and whale-watching spots. Every time we admired scenery, we were able to stop and take as many photos as we wanted.

I'd highly recommend Renee at PJ's.

Get in touch with PJ's Taxi in Seward. Renee there will come and pick you up in Anchorage and drive you to Seward. There were four of us that took that option and the cost was less than the train. Renee stretched it to about a 6 hour drive for us, stopping at many beautiful places along the way such as Alyeska Resort, a couple of rivers with salmon spawning, and whale-watching spots. Every time we admired scenery, we were able to stop and take as many photos as we wanted.

I'd highly recommend Renee at PJ's.

I'd second this one. You won't regret going with her. We saw SO much on our drive with Renee.

• 2 weeks later...

We really didn't want to stay in Anchorage any longer than possible. Got into town the night before and we took a bus the next day that left at 7am and got us to Seward at 10:30am. 'Bout $50 ea.

Was able to squeeze in an extra half day fishing using the bus.

Go Cats

Train, car or bus?

Each can be "best" depending on what's best for you. :)

What is your timeframe?? Going to Seward, I would encourage you to consider an early start, and take advantage of some of the many, excellent touring opportunities that Seward offers, this is especially worthwhile, if you are doing this transit your embarkment day.

A bus would be my last choice. The train is superior scenery, a car rental offers plenty of freedom for many stops along the way. Especially great to add, Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Alaska Animal Conservitory and Alyeska, if of interest.

We are doing a Celebrity land tour and it says that we are takinga motorcoach from Anchorage to Seward but it doesn't say what time the bus leaves. When I called Celebrity they couldn't give me a time. We would love to do a Kenai Fjords tour then take the train to Seward if we could. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can we opt out of the land tour bus and pay to take the train instead? I know that if we get to Seward early my DH will just want to board the ship. Help please???

We are doing a Celebrity land tour and it says that we are takinga motorcoach from Anchorage to Seward but it doesn't say what time the bus leaves. When I called Celebrity they couldn't give me a time. We would love to do a Kenai Fjords tour then take the train to Seward if we could. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can we opt out of the land tour bus and pay to take the train instead? I know that if we get to Seward early my DH will just want to board the ship. Help please???

I frequently post, for people to dump their cruisetours, when in Alyeska or Anchorage, and get themselves to Seward, if of interest to add touring.

Simple to do. Book yourself on the Alaska RR, and book yourself on a Kenai Fjords boat trip, needing at LEAST 6 hours on the water. Take precautions, if prone to motion sickness. I see sick people every trip. :)

IF you stick with your bus transit, you leave Anchorage too late for much of anything and arrive too late in Seward as well. It is imperative, IF you want a Kenai Fjords boat trip, that you do as I list above. No other option other, than getting yourself to Seward in the morning- by train, independent booked bus/shuttle/taxi, or one way car rental with Hertz.

Although I am never in a rush to get on any cruiseship, when leaving Alaska (too much to see and do), let your husband head to the cruiseship, and just meet up with him later. The Kenai Fjords vendors, provide storage and transportation to cruiseships.

Archived