The fate of SS-Norway

transat_jon

:) NORWAY Readied For Removal

February 25: The latest reports indicate that if NORWAY (ex FRANCE) is not sold for $20 Million USD by Monday, 28 February, she will, indeed, go for scrap. Meanwhile, at Bremerhaven, where NORWAY has sat for over two years, fittings are being removed and transfered to containers. Some reports indicate there may be an auction and others suggest these fittings may well be incorporated into a rebuilt UNITED STATES or INDEPENDENCE, or both. As her sale for scrapping seems imminent, it now must be decided whether the ship will be towed via the expensive Suez Canal or the long, somewhat risky route around Africa.

According to "LE FIGARO" a French daily newspaper, Norway was sold on Tuesday to an Indian scrap merchant for 15 million euros.

From the first farewell cruise Sept. 2001. I would gladly give up the Norway if the Towers were still in place.

Norwaynyc.jpg.4cf6e0fb9c2ef777674edb79dbe40842.jpg

Shoreguy- Were you on that Farewell sailing? My husband and I were and we were by the Trade Towers on the 6th of Sept, I believe, then headed out and were in the middle of the Atlantic when the announcement came over the TVs. The rest of that cruise was a real downer, of course.

I hate to see the Norway end up like this, but I agree wholeheartedly with you on the trade towers. Liz

Shoreguy- Were you on that Farewell sailing? My husband and I were and we were by the Trade Towers on the 6th of Sept, I believe, then headed out and were in the middle of the Atlantic when the announcement came over the TVs. The rest of that cruise was a real downer, of course.

I hate to see the Norway end up like this, but I agree wholeheartedly with you on the trade towers. Liz

Liz

I was not but if you have not seen it the link below will take you to a great travel log from that cruise. Just click on the link at the bottom of the In Memoriam page.

http://www.thewaywewent.com/norway.html

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I offer this, apparently from LinersList:-

Date: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:39 am

Subject: Norway and United States.

At NCL's Seatrade press conference today, Colin Veitch had several interesting comments on the future of these two ships. Re Norway, he indicated there were three possibilities: a future in Star Cruises; sale for further service;and scrap.

He stated that there was no deadline for this decision, but that he wanted to get the vessel off NCL's books in a few weeks. Regarding the explosion, he stressed that they still don't know what caused the boiler to explode, perhaps from causes still latent in the ship's remaining boilers.

The future of the United States depends on whether NCL America finds it possible to make adequately profitable operation with an American crew; whether the ship can be made to meet the new IMO stability standards; and the economic viability of the vessel rebuilt as a cruise ship.

He seemed enthusiastic and quite positive about the prospect of having the ship back in service, but stressed that it all depended on these factors. Next year, the ship will probably be moved to an as-yet unselected shipyard for drydocking and further inspection. Economic studies on the viability of the ship's operation (as many of you know) are now in progress.

The route would not be in Hawaiian waters, but on a variety of other services.

"He stated that there was no deadline for this decision, but that he wanted to get the vessel off NCL's books in a few weeks."

Is it just me, or is this politely called "talking out of both sides of your mouth?" No deadline to decide the fate of the ship, but stating he wants it "off his hands" within "a few weeks!??"

"He stated that there was no deadline for this decision, but that he wanted to get the vessel off NCL's books in a few weeks."

Is it just me, or is this politely called "talking out of both sides of your mouth?" No deadline to decide the fate of the ship, but stating he wants it "off his hands" within "a few weeks!??"

Not exactly - They could transfer the burden to the parent company (Star) the expense is still there but not on his books.

Not exactly - They could transfer the burden to the parent company (Star) the expense is still there but not on his books.

Granted, but those of us in the financial community see behind that sort of shell game and would still be pressuring the "enterprise" to do something to stop the expenses surrounding a non-productive asset. Or stated differently, a balance sheet shuffle doesn't lower the possibility that this classic vessel is increasingly at risk for destruction.

Granted, but those of us in the financial community see behind that sort of shell game and would still be pressuring the "enterprise" to do something to stop the expenses surrounding a non-productive asset. Or stated differently, a balance sheet shuffle doesn't lower the possibility that this classic vessel is increasingly at risk for destruction.

Don't get me wrong my bet the ship will be in pieces on a beach in India. Colin wants it off his watch and his results for NCL. The pressure is still on it is just not his problem anymore.

We were supposed to cruise on the Norway in early June of 2003, a week after the tragedy. Our disappointment was second to the sorrow of losing those crew members that perished. It seems doubtful that the Norway or the SS United States will ever sail again. Each of us mortals meets the end of our days sooner or later. That end will probably be the same for these two great ships.

Archived