The fate of SS-Norway

transat_jon

I do hope not! I excerpted the maritimematters.com story in another thread and it does look like they are being careful to note that this is a rumour, not a fact (and I've seen other reports that are being similarly cautious). This is a "big news" story and I don't think anyone wants it to run away with itself if it's only malicious or unfounded gossip.

I think there are problems with preserving SS-Norway.

From the outside, no other ship has ever looked so good. She is so low and sleek. She looks as if she is doing 20+ knots when sitting at anchor. She looked so unhappy cruising around the Caribbean at 16 knots.

The interior, however, is a dissapointment. It does not follow on from a style that has become famous as the granduer of Olympic or Mauretania, or the art deco elegance of Normandie and Queen Mary.

It would be fantastic that she gets preserved the way it looks as if Rotterdam V will, but the Rotterdam had one of the most innovative interior arrangements ever put into a ship. The France was never born with that.

I hope she lives, for many years. She will never sail again because of SOLAS regulations.

I think there are problems with preserving SS-Norway.

I hope she lives, for many years. She will never sail again because of SOLAS regulations.

Accordng to a well placed source they were making considerable progress on the needed SOLAS upgrades prior to the accident- new water tanks, new A/C compressors, new Freon, chiller coils, etc. This source indicated she was in better shape than many other newer vessels on the environmental and SOLAS upgrades.

The biggest issue was the damaged boiler could not be replaced by iteself, as it was of an unusual design and exptemely large- the equipment to make such a large overhead-suspended boiler is not longer in any shipyard. So the bids came back requiring 4 new boilers. There was discussion of rebuilding the boiler drum in place.

Not long ago there was a post on these boards, I can't remember just where or how far back. It was a website in memory of the Norway and crew that lost their lives, it also listed their names. It showed several pictures of the Norway, some showed the damage to it.

Does anyone know where that site is?

Not long ago there was a post on these boards, I can't remember just where or how far back. It was a website in memory of the Norway and crew that lost their lives, it also listed their names. It showed several pictures of the Norway, some showed the damage to it.

Does anyone know where that site is?

Sure do :) I think this is the site - with a look back to a cruise on the Norway during 9/11 as well

http://www.thewaywewent.com/norway.html

The departure of Norway from the world will undeniably be the saddest day in my cruise ship life. I have expressed personally and via my web site just what the Norway means to me in my eyes. I find it so difficult that there is absolutely no other use for her aside from being dismantled (i.e. hotel, museum, anything). *sigh*

This was found on Maritime Matters

February 25: The latest reports indicate that if NORWAY (ex FRANCE) is not sold for $20 Million USD by Monday, 28 February, she will, indeed, go for scrap. Meanwhile, at Bremerhaven, where NORWAY has sat for over two years, fittings are being removed and transfered to containers. Some reports indicate there may be an auction and others suggest these fittings may well be incorporated into a rebuilt UNITED STATES or INDEPENDENCE, or both. As her sale for scrapping seems imminent, it now must be decided whether the ship will be towed via the expensive Suez Canal or the long, somewhat risky route around Africa.

Das Ruderhaus' Cruising and Beyond newsletter has some gossip which I offer FWIW, unsourced and all:-

However, it appears that the February 28th deadline can rather be considered a warning for possible investors that time is running out for the vintage vessel. ... The "warning" was obviously received by French interests and even the French government. New pieces of information received only a couple of hours ago indicate that the French government might commit EUR 16 million to help purchasing the ship. The next couple of weeks will tell whether the legendary liner will soon depart for the breakers or whether there will be a chance to preserve her.
Fingers crossed!

Archived