New to RCCL, what to expect?

outdrbik

We have previously cruised with Carnival and loved every minute of it. We recently won a 4 day cruise on Monach of the Seas going to the Bahamas in Nov. Is there anything particular we should definately check out? Restaurants on the ship, etc? I will be 4 months pregnant at time of cruise so won't be able to try many of the activities. However i'm completely ok with relaxing by the pool or on the beach.

Also, what time does boarding usually begin?

Thanks in advance!

Monarch is one of the older ships....so there aren't any "specialty" restaurants....except for Johnny Rockets ($4.95 pp) which is a typical burger joint. (Shakes are additional!) Sorrentos and Compass Deli are included in your fare.

For relaxation, you'll have a great time...I don't think you'll notice THAT much difference between the two lines....RCI's cabins (on this ship) are smaller than on Carnival...but there's alot of storage and the ship is well-laid out and easy to navigate. And, the best thing of all....you're not PAYING for this!!!! Enjoy!

Congratulations on winning a cruise. Boarding at Port Canaveral usually starts around noon. The Monarch is an old ship and doesn't have many of the features of the new ships in the Royal Caribbean fleet. The cabins are tiny compared to the rest of the RCCL fleet, since the goal when it was designed was to maximize the public spaces on the ship. That being said Monarch is still a very nice ship, just don't look for the Flow Rider, or Ice Skating rink you see on TV. (It is similar in size and age to Carnival Fantasy)

One of the "highlights" of your cruise will be a stop at Coco Cay, which is a private island destination. We have been there a couple times and it is a fantastic place to relax on the beach or snorkel in the clear waters.

Monarch is one of the older ships....so there aren't any "specialty" restaurants....except for Johnny Rockets ($4.95 pp) which is a typical burger joint. (Shakes are additional!) Sorrentos and Compass Deli are included in your fare.

For relaxation, you'll have a great time...I don't think you'll notice THAT much difference between the two lines....RCI's cabins (on this ship) are smaller than on Carnival...but there's alot of storage and the ship is well-laid out and easy to navigate. And, the best thing of all....you're not PAYING for this!!!! Enjoy!

Monarch has Jade, that is a "specialty" a la carte sushi and steakhouse, I also don't remember it having a Johnny Rockets

Monarch does not have Johnny Rocket's on board. Just Jade.

OP, keep in mind that this is the oldest ship in the RCI fleet. She is perfect for the three and four night cruises but does not have all of the bells and whistles that the new ships has. She does have a nice pool area.

Archived