Is a beach cabana worth the money?

wyomom2

Fam of 5 traveling Eastern Carrib early December. First cruise.

Looking at shore excurions. Wow - pricey! Watching our pennies. Trying to plan ahead and choose wisely. One thing that looks very inviting. Half Moon Cay, Bahamas - Private Cabana Package. I've heard there is not much to do at this location other than beach and water activities. That is fine w/ us. But, since we'll be on beach all day and w/ kiddos, we'd like to have some shelter and privacy. What do you think? Is this just a crazy splurge? Is there a better way to do this stop? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank.

Looking at shore excurions. Wow - pricey! Watching our pennies. Trying to plan ahead and choose wisely. One thing that looks very inviting. Half Moon Cay, Bahamas - Private Cabana Package. I've heard there is not much to do at this location other than beach and water activities. That is fine w/ us. But, since we'll be on beach all day and w/ kiddos, we'd like to have some shelter and privacy. What do you think? Is this just a crazy splurge? Is there a better way to do this stop? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank.

Suggest you look at 1 or 2 clamshells at $14 each vs. the cabana if watching pennies. Gives you shade, some privacy and right on the beach. There is some shade under the trees, but moves during the day and becomes less as the day goes on.

If you go the clamshell route, go down the beach (to the left as you leave the tender) to find a less crowded area. Each clamshell holds 2 beach chairs. We enjoy them and a whole lot cheaper than $300.

If you really want (or need) consistent shade, and a place for your group to gather together, a cabana is definitely worth it. There is a table that seats 4, plus two loungers. In addition, you get snacks, soft drinks, snorkeling gear, and floating mats for the water. The clamshells are not movable.

We have used the Cabanas and found them to be good value. They are private (curtains make a changing room) comfortable (cooling provided) and well stocked with your choice of beverages as part of the price. They are also an easy walk to the Buffets and give you a private place to lunch. The views are excellent.

Here's a question, do I have to order a clamshell in advance? I used to not care about the sun, but I am trying to prevent (more) wrinkles...

Unless there are two ships in HMC that day, and you get to the beach by 10:00 AM, there are plenty of clamshells to your liking.

I like to walk down to the right as you face the water, as it's not as crowded there. :)

Do they have just lounge chairs to use on the island and is there a charge for them? Also, are they usually available?

Yes, there are loungers but for $14 for 2, I think a clamshell is worth it for the shade it provides.

A cabana is definitely worth it - but only if you get the Butler's package...

...otherwise you'll be wandering up and down the beach and standing in lines to fetch yourself drinks and food from the bars and grill.

2008 we didn't pre-order and they sold out on the ship. 2009 we pre-ordered online and it was cloudy, cool and rainy so it was no use to us. for 2010 we already pre-ordered 3 of them for the 6 of us and our trip is in december.

you can pick where you want your clam shell to be set up. vouchers are put in your door box prior to arrival to HMC. search threads on Caribbean Island (Private Island) board and you will find lots of info. it is hot and no air but posters say to prop up the back and you'll get some air.

We have rented a cabana all 3 times we have been to HMC and will do so again in December. For us, it is the absolute best way to enjoy the day at our favorite port. We have also purchased the butler package each time. Our last visit, we were disappointed - there was a definte decrease in the level of service. Hopefully it was a fluke, so we plan to give it one more try.

We have never travelled with children, but I think the cabana would be even more useful with them. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

We went to Half Moon Cay last year. The clamshells are a fantastic option,

give you privacy, shade and are very close to the water. There are

water activities on the island, volleyball and a shop or two. If money were no

concern, I would say that the cabana might be worth it....but, even then I'm

not so sure, but it is a definite extravagance. Save your money for cab rides at the ports. By the way, the water is beautiful on Half Moon. It was MUCH nicer than I thought it would be. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, and if not, it's very easy to catch a tender back to the ship.

By the way, forgo the shore excursions, do a little research, and take taxis wherever you want to go in port. You'll save a fortune. Most taxis

charge the same amount whether there's one person or five. You can look up taxi fares by island on google, and you'll get a good idea of cost.

For a family of five going to a beach, you'll probably save 70% by going on your own as opposed to taking a ship sponsored excursion.

wyomom2,

If I was on a cruise with 2/3 kids, I would rent the clamshells. Two clamshells and drinks might cost you $ 50. That's $ 250 left to buy the kids some tee shirts, souvenirs, and yourself a piece of jewelry. St Thomas and St Maarten have great deals on jewelry.

But it's YOUR money.

That's my 0.02 cents or $ 300. :)

A cabana is definitely worth it - but only if you get the Butler's package...

...otherwise you'll be wandering up and down the beach and standing in lines to fetch yourself drinks and food from the bars and grill.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I have no use for a butler. We enjoyed the privacy when we had a cabana, and wouldn't have wanted someone hovering around.... I didn't mind a bit taking the little walk to pick up some food. It only took a few minutes from our day.

I think the clam shells may be good if you intend to spend most of your time on the beach. We went back to the ship early because we were a little disappointed. We had heard great things but we did not find it that great compared to some of the beaches that we have experienced in the Caribbean.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I have no use for a butler. We enjoyed the privacy when we had a cabana, and wouldn't have wanted someone hovering around.... I didn't mind a bit taking the little walk to pick up some food. It only took a few minutes from our day.

I can't see hanging out in a cabana. Is that why you go to the beach on HMC? But, I'm a beach bum. :)

If i was a twelve year old kid, (those were the days) I certainly wouldn't be sitting on a chair in a cabana. :)

I can't see hanging out in a cabana. Is that why you go to the beach on HMC? But, I'm a beach bum. :)

If i was a twelve year old kid, (those were the days) I certainly wouldn't be sitting on a chair in a cabana. :)

We spent very little time sitting on a chair, unless you count the loungers in the sun provided with the cabana. We spent time in the water with the floaties, ate lunch at our table in the cabana, had a good old time. :D

I'm not a beach person, fair-skinned and burn easily (still burnt that day, but that was my own fault for staying out in the water too long). We've only been to HMC once and did get a cabana, and glad we did.

Of course families with children have to make their own decisions. We didn't have children with us.

We have rented a beach cabana the last 2 times on HMC and reserved one for our trip next month on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We think they are worth it. Last trip there were 5 of us and on this one there will be 6 so gives us a place to hang out and put stuff.

The additional butler service is big indulgence. We did it last time as we were entertaining a customer ( I know, rough work). Great service and a extreme amount of food (comes out of the Pinnacle) and liquor, we couldn't consume it all. But our client was impressed so it was worth the extravagance.

For this trip we are skipping the butler. As I recall the bar and food isn't that far from the one we reserved.

but only if you get the Butler's package...

I disagree, there are plenty of waiters wandering and willing to get drinks. Reward them appropriately, and you'll see more of them.

You will have to walk over to the buffet, to get your food, however.

...I have no use for a butler. We enjoyed the privacy when we had a cabana, and wouldn't have wanted someone hovering around....

The butlers don't hover -

- They're too busy fetching drinks & food for us - and when they aren't doing that, they're taking our pictures, handing us fresh towels, pouring the bubbly, etc.

;)

And as was stated earlier by someone, the food selection is more upscale with the butler - Steak, Barbecued Shrimp Skewers, etc as opposed to Burgers, Hot dogs and Macaroni Salad.

I have found that we've been among the first onto the island (priority tendering comes w/ the Cabana) and the cabana is so comfortable that we've been the last to return to the ship.

Here's a question, do I have to order a clamshell in advance? I used to not care about the sun, but I am trying to prevent (more) wrinkles...

We're leaving Nov. 13 on the Noordam & have a clamshell wait listed at HMC...There will be two ships at HMC the same time..

You might consider reserving the clamshell in advance..It's only $14.00 & seats two people..

Cheers....:)Betty

Archived