Carnival Holiday? Where is it now?

Toddcan

I sailed on the Holiday. It's small, old, etc, but we loved the cruise!

I know it went through major renovations, and is sailing for a Spanish-Iberian (SP?) cruise line. I found the website, but the english version of the website does not list the "Grand Holiday" as it's known now, as a member of its fleet.

Anyone know how you can find out pricing on this newly refurbed ship? I'm usually very internet savy and can find my way around anything, but this one stumps me. :)

Thanks!

I sailed on the Holiday. It's small, old, etc, but we loved the cruise!

I know it went through major renovations, and is sailing for a Spanish-Iberian (SP?) cruise line. I found the website, but the english version of the website does not list the "Grand Holiday" as it's known now, as a member of its fleet.

Anyone know how you can find out pricing on this newly refurbed ship? I'm usually very internet savy and can find my way around anything, but this one stumps me. :)

Thanks!

This is on wikipedia... it may help..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Holiday

The Holiday is now part of Ibero Cruceros. It looks AMAZING. It's like a brand new ship!

You can get more information at their website http://www.iberocruceros.com

Keep in mind that this ship now caters to a Spanish clientele, so all activities, announcements, etc are all in spanish!

Usually, the price also includes roundtrip airfare from Madrid, or other cities in Spain

Edited by Tapi

The funny thing is that every ship that Carnival has "purpose-built" are still sailing. Only the original two ocean liners have gone to the scrappers.

Tropicale------Ocean Dream-------Pullmantur------Columbia

Jubilee--------Pacific Sun---------P&O Cruises-----Australia

Celebration----Grand Celebration---Ibero Cruises----Spain

Holiday--------Grand Holiday-------Ibero Cruises----Spain

Dave

The funny thing is that every ship that Carnival has "purpose-built" are still sailing. Only the original two ocean liners have gone to the scrappers.

Tropicale------Ocean Dream-------Pullmantur------Columbia

Jubilee--------Pacific Sun---------P&O Cruises-----Australia

Celebration----Grand Celebration---Ibero Cruises----Spain

Holiday--------Grand Holiday-------Ibero Cruises----Spain

Dave

Wonder where the Tropicale is now....I was on her Dec 1999

I guess you missed my list above. Tropicale is now called the Ocean Dream sailing for a Royal Caribbean owned company Pullmantur out of Columbia. It sails to Aruba and a couple of other S. America ports.

Dave

I thought that when Carnival's purpose built ships left the fleet, they lost their unique funnels. Tropicale and Jubilee had the surgery, but Celebration and Holiday just got new paint.

I would guess the whaletail funnels were in good working order and the buyers wanted to keep the cost of the overhaul as low as possible, more than likely, fully realizing, the whole World will know who owned them formerly.

I hope they fixed the Holiday's listing issues. It was like this our whole cruise.

I think that since the Holiday is an older ship, it didn't have the stabilizers that modern ships have, and that noticeable list is just how this ship rides the currents and winds (kinda like how an airplane flies at an angle "crabbing into the wind").

We sailed on the Holiday for a quick 4 night Cozumel getaway, and on the way south, the ship listed to the right all the way, and on the way north, the ship listed to the left!

I hope they fixed the Holiday's listing issues. It was like this our whole cruise:eek:

100_1246.jpg

100_1248.jpg

We walked sideways and up hill all week.

Thats funny..When was that taken? I would think they would cancel the trip due to safty reasons.

A ship's list has nothing to do with its design unless it has balancing issues. Most of the time those can be adjusted by moving water in the ballast tanks. The issue with the Holiday and Fantasy class ships are when there are strong side winds. They tend to push a ship off course. In order to maintain course, rudder has to be applied which in turn creates a slight list.

Dave

I thought that when Carnival's purpose built ships left the fleet, they lost their unique funnels. Tropicale and Jubilee had the surgery, but Celebration and Holiday just got new paint.

Carnival Corporation owns 50% of Ibero Cruises might have something to do with it. But then again they also own P&O which is where the Jubilee went.

Or they figured it was easier to just leave it alone and give it a different paint job.

Dave

A ship's list has nothing to do with its design unless it has balancing issues. Most of the time those can be adjusted by moving water in the ballast tanks. The issue with the Holiday and Fantasy class ships are when there are strong side winds. They tend to push a ship off course. In order to maintain course, rudder has to be applied which in turn creates a slight list.

Dave

When we were on the Holiday, it was not windy. It did rain the day the pictures were taken, but as for wind, it was relatively calm the whole cruise.

I would guess the whaletail funnels were in good working order and the buyers wanted to keep the cost of the overhaul as low as possible, more than likely, fully realizing, the whole World will know who owned them formerly.

Carnival Corporation owns 50% of Ibero Cruises might have something to do with it. But then again they also own P&O which is where the Jubilee went.

Or they figured it was easier to just leave it alone and give it a different paint job.

Dave

Carnival went through the trouble of painting over the logo on the sides of nearly every ship in the fleet and putting the funnel on all of their advertising. This suggests that they want people to associate the whale tail with Carnival. I'd guess that modifying the funnels on two ships would really be no big expense to Carnival. The time and effort to remove one funnel and replace it with another is probably not much, and probably could be done quickly.

I guess glrounds may be correct about why they just painted over the Carnival livery. Change it, but leave a hint that Ibero is really a Carnival brand.

Edited by Bonneville02

I think that since the Holiday is an older ship, it didn't have the stabilizers that modern ships have, and that noticeable list is just how this ship rides the currents and winds (kinda like how an airplane flies at an angle "crabbing into the wind").

We sailed on the Holiday for a quick 4 night Cozumel getaway, and on the way south, the ship listed to the right all the way, and on the way north, the ship listed to the left!

Not the same thing, they control list with ballast (water).

Stabilizers control the roll axis.

• 4 years later...

Just in case anyone is wondering where she is today---http://us.cruiseandmaritime.com/ship/magellan

She has left Carnival, finishing dry dock now, and looks like an exciting first sailing (a total eclipse and northern lights). I'd love to be on her to see what has changed since my first trip on her in December 1988!