Help me decide - Dream vs. Glory

cottonballs99

We are planning on taking our first cruise in March 2011. We've narrowed it down to the Dream or the Glory, both Eastern Caribbean for 7 days. It will be DH and I, as well as DD (9) and DS (6). Specific ports don't make any real difference to us, as we've never cruised before.

Some differences:

Dream has more days at sea / Glory has more ports

Dream has bigger waterslide (right?) But will it be TOO big and intimidating?

Dream has inside cabin on deck 7 available. Glory has inside cabin on Deck 6 or 8 and will be more forward or to the back than the cabin on Dream. Does this matter that much?

Dream costs about $300 more.

Dream sails from Port Canaveral. Glory is from Miami. It will be pricier for us to get to Miami, but it's not a dealbreaker. But it will probably make up the $300 price difference.

There's probably more info that I'm leaving out, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I've been advised that having never cruised before, either ship would be great. And once my family has been on the Dream, we may never want to sail a "lesser" boat. Hmm.

How do I decide? Any thoughts are helpful!

We are planning on taking our first cruise in March 2011. We've narrowed it down to the Dream or the Glory, both Eastern Caribbean for 7 days. It will be DH and I, as well as DD (9) and DS (6). Specific ports don't make any real difference to us, as we've never cruised before.

Some differences:

Dream has more days at sea / Glory has more ports

Dream has bigger waterslide (right?) But will it be TOO big and intimidating?

Dream has inside cabin on deck 7 available. Glory has inside cabin on Deck 6 or 8 and will be more forward or to the back than the cabin on Dream. Does this matter that much?

Dream costs about $300 more.

Dream sails from Port Canaveral. Glory is from Miami. It will be pricier for us to get to Miami, but it's not a dealbreaker. But it will probably make up the $300 price difference.

There's probably more info that I'm leaving out, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I've been advised that having never cruised before, either ship would be great. And once my family has been on the Dream, we may never want to sail a "lesser" boat. Hmm.

How do I decide? Any thoughts are helpful!

Remember, this is just an opinion. Since this will be your first cruise, I'm leaning toward The Glory. First, you'll save a little money! The Dream is larger and has some really outstanding slides but The Glory is not a "lesser ship." We have cruised on The Dream and were not overly impressed, so since you have not cruised before I know you'll be impressed with The Glory. I would seek a cabin slightly aft as opposed to forward. If at all possible I would get a window cabin as opposed to an inside cabin. I also think that until you have actually gone on a cruise and decide whether it is right for you and your family, lesser sea days is probably a good idea for the first time out. Regardless, have a great time.

I was originally booked on the Dream with my mother and 12 yo daughter but switched to the Glory because it has 3 pools instead of 2 and I was worried about the over-crowding during spring break. We love our pool time. We're booked on the 3/13/11 cruise. My daughter was also a little apprehensive about the large water slides. Hope that helps a little. Also, we really wanted to go to Grand Turk.

Hmm. this one's a very tough call. I thought I might lean toward Dream since it's newer, then again, Glory was refurbished this year and in great shape. So I think I'd go with the ports vs. sea days moreso than ship on this one. They are both great ships. I love days at sea.

Very tough call. The Glory is special as I was married on her in 2008. I am booked to go on the Dream next year and can't wait. For your first cruise, I'm sure either would be great. If they have similar itineraries (and this didn't sound like your main concern), my suggestion is to go with the less expensive cruise. Use the money you save on the actual 'booking' to look at excursions or treat yourself to a special dinner in the "steak house". Good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes. Gotta hate having decisions like "Glory or Dream" to make ;)

What ports do they each have? I know you said it doesn't matter, but it may make more difference than you think. Some ports are more kid friendly than others. I would try to look for an itin. that goes to Half Moon Cay. Personally I would choose the Glory. More port days and less money sounds good to me, especially for a first cruise.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ports for Dream are: Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

Ports for Glory are: Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Both are 7 day cruises, so it's the difference of one sea day. I've heard sea days are great, which is the only reason I'm leaning that way. On the other hand, nobody says we *have* to get off at the ports.

My other thought from a financial perspective is that the ports will cost me some amount of money, either for souvenirs or excursions. Fewer ports means less money, right? Or maybe not...

I didn't realize that the Glory had 3 pools and the Dream only has 2. Where can I find this type of info? Is it in the deck plans and I just missed it?

Does cabin location matter that much? Is it worth more $$ to have a window, especially the first time? Are the rooms any different in size? I know everyone has an opinion about the inside vs. OV rooms, but we really aren't certain! We've been told an inside room will be the smoothest ride, in case we fear seasickness.

Oh - edited to add that we can't sail on a 7 day itinerary that goes to Half Moon Cay due to our schedules. That was what we were hoping for, but it didn't work out. :(

Grand Turks has a "Cruise center" with a huge pool, shops, beach front with free chairs. It's a nice port to get off the ship and relax. No need to spend much money, unless you got to Margaritaville, eat on the ship, it docks right in front.

San Juan, has a free bus that you can take around the city and tour the two Forts, only $5.00 a person for both Forts in January. You can also catch the Ferry (bus drops you off right in front) for $ .50 a person, take a taxi for about $3.00 a person and tour the Bacardi factory for free, even neat for kids. It also includes two free drinks.

St. Thomas is my favorite port. Sonny Liston tours you can book for only $25.00 a person for a 6 hour tour, shopping, beach time and touring the Island.

Excursions are what you want to make of them, what you want to spend and what research you do first for the best deals.

Another vote for the Glory!

We sailed the Dream this summer, and, as others said, we weren't overly impressed. Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice ship, but we like the layout of the Glory better (especially the Promenade.) Either way, you won't go wrong since it's a Carnival cruise!:)

Another vote for Glory. Were on the Dream this past winter - nice ship but not overly impressed. Going on the Glory next year. As others have said that this being your first cruise I'm sure you will be impressed with either ship. Have a blast!

Archived