Venice - Land taxi ranks

hornbill7

Having carefully chacked where they were going to park the boat (Windsurf - originally at San Basilio) and chosen a hotel with transfer to the ship in mind, the berth has been changed and the Windsurf will load now in Marittima.

The transfer plan included hopping the Hilton boat from Guidecca to Zattere, followed by a very gentle stroll along the quay to the San Basilio terminal. We're hoping to keep to that part of it, and then take a land taxi from the SBT round to berth 117 in Marittima.

I know that taxis can get round to the SBT, but is there a land taxi rank there, or should I book one in advance (one of us is awaiting an arthroscopy, so has temporary limited mobility)? (Don't think any other ships are in San Basilio at the time).

The alternative seems to be Hilton vaparetto to San Marco and then Alilaguna waterbus (Linea M) to Marittima

First off-you dont say-are you staying at the Hilton? that is a private transfer boat not a public one and you are asked to show hilton keys on occassion. I would actually think the easiest solution to your problem-and definately the least complicated would be to take the public vapperrato from the stop about 300 yards down from the hilton directly to the Marritima stop.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't say that we were staying at the Hilton because I hoped it would be obvious if we were planning on using Hilton's boat. Your solution does sound a fairly easy one except that I am unable to find any map that shows any vaporetto line going to Stazione Marittima except the Alilaguna waterbus (Linea M). All seem to stop either at Tronchetto or Santa Marta, both outside the cruise terminal. Plus most advice I've read says that luggage is difficult to manage on a standard vaporetto.

Still hoping for answers to the specific questions - can you pick up a land taxi at San Basilio terminal even if there are no cruise ships at San Basilio? Or can you pre-book one?

First off-you dont say-are you staying at the Hilton? that is a private transfer boat not a public one and you are asked to show hilton keys on occassion. I would actually think the easiest solution to your problem-and definately the least complicated would be to take the public vapperrato from the stop about 300 yards down from the hilton directly to the Marritima stop.

There are no vaporetto boats to the Marittima. My understanding is that Hilton doesn't always go to Zattere but always goes to St mark's. You have 3 options. Most luxurious is a water taxi direct from Hilton to Marittima. 2. Your proposed solution if hilton taxi goes to Zattere. Have them arrange for a taxi at San basilio. 3. Hilton to St mark's, Alilaguna M line to Marittima http://www.alilaguna.it You can decide after you arrive in venice. Have a great vacation.

You probably have more up to date info about the boarding location, BUT the Venice cruise terminal website is showing your ship still departing from San Basilio berth VE 27. Even so, your original plan for the water taxi to Zattere will involve crossing 2 bridges to get to Santa Marta/San Basilio area and you might want to reconsider and have the Hilton arrange a private water taxi to take you to the ship regardless of which terminal you depart from. You will likely meet others staying at the Hilton going to the ship to share the cost with—probably 6-8 people with luggage could fit in one water taxi.

Port website: http://www.vtp.it/calendario/ricerca.jsp?CercaNave=OK&password=null&CodNave=&CodArmatore=&Giorno=24&Mese=10&Anno=2010

Terminal locations: http://www.vtp.it/terminal/crociere.jsp

I have never sailed out of SBT, but my guess would be no land taxis there when no ships are docked and you should pre-book if you intend to stick with your original plan.

Archived