Review (long!) Oosterdam Oct 9-16

Spinner2

FYI, we were on the Oosterdam the seven days prior (10/2-10/9), and there were definitely kids in the main Lido pool running around and splashing. Enough splashing that I think I noticed some people being annoyed. (and i noticed a note in the program the following day about the aft pool being for kids.) I do realize this is a hard thing though, because my wife noticed that the Lido pool has a ledge or something that makes it easier for shorter people to play in (kids), while the aft pool didn't. Though the aft pool certainly was nice and warm (not sure if from being heated or just the Mexican sun).

Also, one of the MDR dinner menus was labeled "a Taste of Mexico" or something like that, and featured several locally influenced dishes. It seemed they were loaded up on one night. We had days where we wanted multiple meals worth of items on the menu, and days where we didn't care for much. After the first day, we started to make it a habit of checking by the menu to see if we wanted to eat in the MDR or order room service.

Also, I'm not sure if it's changed, or I just remembered wrong, but last formal night for us was Thurs night, and the MCD was Friday.

I'm happy to try and answer questions, but as was posted . . . only 7 days; you can't try everything!

We never got to Happy Hour; this was our first "suite experience" and we wanted to make the most of it. Between gifts from our TA, suite gifts from the ship and a couple of other gifts from assorted sources we had an oversupply of alcoholic beverages in the stateroom, not to mention cake, candy, appetizers, etc. So much wine and champagne so that some of it came home with us in unopened bottles. So, no need to go to Happy Hour for us this trip. We nibbled on the provided snacks and enjoyed the bounty of it all.

The new breakfast menu seems to be essentially the same as the one I posted right after we left the Maasdam this past May. They were starting a trial of this new menu on the Maasdam beginning with the cruise right after ours and they kindly gave me a copy of the upcoming menu to post here. It must have worked out all right because that menu is almost a duplicate of the menu that's being served in the Pinnacle to suite guests and I guess it's the same in the MDR for breakfast. Don't know about the Lido. Several people have posted it around these boards so I won't repeat it. One thing that intrigued me when I first saw the new menu was the "coffee cake of the day" and I asked about it. In the Pinnacle at least, it was the same coffee cake each day and essentially it was a basic moist cake (too moist for my wishes!) and the usual streusel (brown sugar and butter) topping. And of course the usual tray of rolls, etc. is still available.

We had become accustomed to fresh orange juice in all breakfast venues, including the MDR; the executive chef on the Maasdam had assured us that the fresh-squeezed orange juice was now available on all ships for breakfast in the MDR and Pinnacle, as well as in the Lido which has had it for a long time. While we didn't eat breakfast in the MDR at all this trip, one of our wait staff told us that they don't serve fresh-squeezed OJ at breakfast on this ship; logistically it can't be done. The beverage manager confirmed this but I didn't understand his explanation about why it can't be done.

We do have a set of menus from this trip but right now we don't have them unpacked and so I can't scan/photo and post them right now. There was a "taste of Mexico" menu the first night; the rest of the meals were pretty much typical HAL menus and I'm not being disparaging about that; I like the typical menu! Sorry; maybe someone else will oblige with actual menus.

The Le Cirque website might answer some of the Le Cirque questions. Lisa, in Vegas it's in the Bellagio. French food, but the menu choices at the Le Cirque night aboard the ship don't begin to reflect the extensive menu at the restaurant; that would be expecting a lot! The salad was small poached lobster tails on a well-seasoned bed of greens with some citrus; soup (which I didn't eat; I'm allergic to basil) was a corn soup with a basil infusion in it. My DH liked it; it looked awfully thick and heavy to me for a dish that wasn't a main course. Besides the beef entree I mentioned earlier I believe the only other choices were lamb and halibut. There were several dessert choices; we just had the sorbet trio because the meal had been so heavy. Two of the three were delicious; the third (pineapple, I think) was pretty tasteless and had ice crystals throughout. Dark chocolate triangles were the ornamentation in this dessert. My personal preference would be the regular Pinnacle dessert menu but then by now you all know my dirty little secret--the passion for all things Baked Alaska. :D

Doblemom, you're right; best solution is to go look at the menus and then decide. You just can't fit everything in when there's only 7 days! And everyone's preferences are different and somehow you've got to balance all of these choices with what you're eating at all of the other food experiences on board the ship.

We sure enjoyed our first Holland America cruise. We definitely felt the great customer service. Marney, we tried to make the Wave and Meet and Greet but we were travelling with kids and our days seemed to fill up so fast that we just missed those events. Our favorite waiter in the MDR was Yaya. If you want a great, attentive waiter ask for him!! I am looking for the recipe for the creamy butternut squash with apple soup recipe they served in the MDR. Anyone know how to get it? We could not find it in the cookbooks they were selling.

Of5Cruisers, I understand completely! We never get to do everything we want to do either on any cruise, whether 7 days or 30. We had a good turnout for both events but we'd have enjoyed meeting you too.

I don't know Yaya; there are so many great dining stewards. I'm glad yours was good. Ours were terrific too and our assistant knew some of the staff we've known on other cruises so he updated us on where they are now as well. It's always Old Home Week on a HAL ship for us.

Thanks, SilvertoGold. It's great that somebody's always had different experiences and can help fill in the gaps for those whose cruising turn comes up next.

An experience nobody wants: I blogged about this on a Cruise Question thread in response to a fellow cruiser's question but others might be interested. This is the CASE OF THE MISTAKEN LUGGAGE!

After the cruise we were waiting outside the San Diego cruise terminal, across the walkway where they have the various shuttles and vans pick people up for the airport, the parking garages, etc. We had independent plans so we were among the last to depart. Next to us was a woman tearing the paper HAL luggage tags from her bags when suddenly she exclaimed, "I have the wrong bag! This one isn't mine!" Her traveling companion says she'd better take it back so she finishes tearing off the paper luggage tags, throws them ALL in the trash and sets off to the terminal to exchange the bag. Our shuttle had arrived before she got back so I don't know how it turned out.

The luggage-sorting tag on the luggage she returned was green. Green was called early, so she had perhaps been out there for awhile with the bag. Probably somebody was freaked that their bag had disappeared.

It can happen! Here's hoping it worked out and everybody got the correct luggage before they left the cruise terminal.

Spinner2

I love your comments about "Old Home Week". That is exactly how to describe our recent Oosterdam cruise. There were so many waiters who recognized us from previous cruises, starting in the cruise terminal waiting room! Some could even pin down which cruise we had been on. Great service, great atmosphere, one we keep returning for!

dewong2008 , thank you for the information

Your welcome. If things are still the same - the main bartenders in the Crow's Nest are Arman and Rodel. Both very nice and there is also a nice young lady serving in the Crow's Nest named Anne.

Have a good trip.

Diana

Archived