Captain Marvin's or Stingray Sailing for GC?

cruisecrazy82

Trying to decide on which company to use for stingray city in GC. I like Captain Marvin's half day snorkeling/stingray excursion, it's 3 hours long has 2 snorkeling stops plus the stop at stingray city. Both have great reviews. The factor that is causing me to be torn is not the price but the boat! Stingray sailing uses a catamaran which i think would be really neat where as Captain Marvin's os just a boat lol. Does anyone have any insight or just some opinions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!!!

We have done Captain two times and highly recommend them to anyone, but I don't have any experience with the other company. Captain Marvin's doesn't put a lot of people on their boats so its not crowded and very personal.

Wiz

We did Stingray Sailings and the catamaran is cool. We had about 20 people and it wasn't crowded. They were great with the pickup and were waiting for us as planned. The catamaran has a bathroom which is nice.

The guys, Chip and I can't remember the other guy were very nice and professional. They take some great pictures to purchase as well.

We will definetly use them again next time.

We have only used Stingray Sailings so can't compare but we had a great experience. I know that either company will be wonderful they both have great reviews.

Captain Marvan's is awesome ! We did the short excursion with two stop snorkling and Stingy Ray City and then for $35 more did a tour of the Island which included the turtle farm, Hell, Governors House, Rum Factory and Seven Mile Beach. This ended up being a private tour....

They are so good and kind to people ! I highly recommend them...

Charleyann

We went with Stingray sailing in April and loved it! We had group of adults and kids in our party and they were so good with the kids. The catamaran rocks! You are right there on the water & it is so peaceful sailing back in. Chip is a great guy too. I looked at Marvin's too & heard great reviews - the sailboat sold me though :)

our vote is for Capt. Marvins... we have used him on multiple occasions and have always had a great time.... once we even went outside the barrier reef with them on an extremely calm day and saw several nurse sharks on the outer side of the reef that is near stingray city.... great people and great service...

Trying to decide on which company to use for stingray city in GC. I like Captain Marvin's half day snorkeling/stingray excursion, it's 3 hours long has 2 snorkeling stops plus the stop at stingray city. Both have great reviews. The factor that is causing me to be torn is not the price but the boat! Stingray sailing uses a catamaran which i think would be really neat where as Captain Marvin's os just a boat lol. Does anyone have any insight or just some opinions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!!!

I recommend Capt. Marvin. When I used them. He personally went with us. He was 92 at the time and I really enjoyed the stories he told us. There were maybe 15 people that went with us so no over crowding.

We love GC Bujccaneer Stingray City Snorkeling Catamaran. We went on this trip 2 years ago and plan to do it again in November. Captain Bryan is in charge and the staff were great. Small group and lots of fun. Captain went out of his way to find a clear spot for snorkeling since the water was murkey from a small storm in most areas. We booked through Island Marketing. ;)

We have done Captain two times and highly recommend them to anyone, but I don't have any experience with the other company. Captain Marvin's doesn't put a lot of people on their boats so its not crowded and very personal.

Wiz

Capt Marvin has gone commercial. His boats now are double deckers holding 40 pax. It's not very personal any more, either. The "guide" no longer goes in the water to lead snorkeling groups. He stays in the boat, except at Stingray City where he assists the professional cameraman who spends the return trip to the dock selling photos.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Captain Marvin's specfically to ask about the number of people on the boat.

Their response:

Thanks for writing! The Port Authority schedule shows that there are five ships in port on Nov. 18th, two arriving at 7 AM and three arriving at 8 AM.

If this is the case, you could take our 10:00 half-day trip, with check-in no later than 9:15. We have several boats ranging in length from 34-45 feet, with capacities from 20-45 people. The boat assigned to a particular trip depends on how many people sign up for that trip, but the average number of people on a boat is about 25.

For all the information on our trips, times, prices, and location, please read through our web site at www.captainmarvins.com, where you will also find an on-line reservation form for booking with us.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I will be happy to answer them for you. I look forward to hearing from you again!

Ruth for Capt. Marvin's

Capt Marvin has gone commercial. His boats now are double deckers holding 40 pax. It's not very personal any more, either. The "guide" no longer goes in the water to lead snorkeling groups. He stays in the boat, except at Stingray City where he assists the professional cameraman who spends the return trip to the dock selling photos.

I emailed Captain Marvin's after reading about them going "commercial" now. I received the following reply from them:

Our boats have been the same size for the last 8-10 years. We don't fill our boats to any more than 2/3 of their capacity, giving lots of room for everyone. The time of year dictates how many people are on the boat with you and at Stingray City. Naturally, Dec. 26th will be busy but you will be comfortable on our boats. For photos of the boats, please go to our web site.

We always have two guides along on our tours, and one will be in the water with you while one is on the boat during the snorkeling stops. At Stingray City usually both are in the water with you. There are never any more than about 40 people on even our largest boat. The cruise lines book their tours with boats that carry about 150-200 people.

We at Capt. Marvin's want to give you the experience of a lifetime, and we strive hard to make sure you are comfortable in every way we can. We look forward to seeing you in December!

Ruth

I emailed Captain Marvin's after reading about them going "commercial" now. I received the following reply from them:

Our boats have been the same size for the last 8-10 years. We don't fill our boats to any more than 2/3 of their capacity, giving lots of room for everyone. The time of year dictates how many people are on the boat with you and at Stingray City. Naturally, Dec. 26th will be busy but you will be comfortable on our boats. For photos of the boats, please go to our web site.

We always have two guides along on our tours, and one will be in the water with you while one is on the boat during the snorkeling stops. At Stingray City usually both are in the water with you. There are never any more than about 40 people on even our largest boat. The cruise lines book their tours with boats that carry about 150-200 people.

We at Capt. Marvin's want to give you the experience of a lifetime, and we strive hard to make sure you are comfortable in every way we can. We look forward to seeing you in December!

Ruth

I made my previous comments with the sole intent of warning those who have gone with Capt Marvin in the past.

I snorkeled with Capt Marvin in 2003 and 2005. The boats then held no more than 25, and seldom had that many.

My boat this August was packed to the max, hip to hip, on both decks. There were only two ships in port that day.

NO guide was in the water with us at either Barrier Reef or Coral Garden.

That's not necessary at Coral Gardens, except maybe for newbies, but it's important at the reef.

Capt Marvin once was extraordinary with a very singular personal approach.

I don't doubt they are just as good, maybe even better, than the other snorkel providers. But that ain't saying much.:p

If Stingray City is your primary goal, then Capt Marvin with the professional photographer is a good choice.

If, however, you are serious snorkeler, you might consider Eden Rock or Sunset house.

Snorkeling from their docks is excellent sans the boat crowds. Eden Rock offers a one hour guided snorkel to help find your way thru Devil's Grotto.

My brother and SIL went on Capt Marvin's tour last week and they said it was entirely the opposite of what you describe. There were 10 people on the one-level ship, and it was extremely personal. Everyone got their picture with Captain Marvin himself--he's 94 years old! His son was one of the guides and they all got in the water with everyone and helped my SIL, who was really nervous about the stingrays. From what we were told by several (different) taxi drivers, Captain Marvin and his family basically started the trips to Stingray City, and they seem to know what they're doing. When we go back next year, we are definitely going to book a tour with Captain Marvin.

My brother and SIL went on Capt Marvin's tour last week and they said it was entirely the opposite of what you describe. There were 10 people on the one-level ship, and it was extremely personal. Everyone got their picture with Captain Marvin himself--he's 94 years old! His son was one of the guides and they all got in the water with everyone and helped my SIL, who was really nervous about the stingrays. From what we were told by several (different) taxi drivers, Captain Marvin and his family basically started the trips to Stingray City, and they seem to know what they're doing. When we go back next year, we are definitely going to book a tour with Captain Marvin.

We had the same experience with Captain Marvin's last March, (and march was spring break time there were 4 ships in port the day we were there) only 15 people on our boat, the guide got in the water at stingray city and coral gardens. The very nice young lady who took the photos was indeed selling them, but no pressure at all, and I liked that we could view the photos before we purchased them, it wasnt all that expensive and in addition to our photos (which came out great) were about 30 pictures of the reef and various sea creatures around the area, the crew was awesome and helpful even with our 8 year old who wasnt too sure about the stingrays, they helped him in and in no time he was comfortable, I recommend them!

I sailed with Captain Marvin in 04 and It was a great trip. Very personable and the guides were very friendly and informative. I did look into some of the other tour companys for our upcoming cruise in Feb 2011 and I decided to book again with Captain Marvins. We considered Stingray Sailings, but the time option (10:30) doesn't work with our time of arrival.

Also I noticed Capt Marvins has not changed price. I remember paying $35 in 2004 as well. If im not mistaken Stingray Sailings was $50 pp. However there is no doubt that Catamaran would be a cool ride.

From the reviews I have read you can't go wrong either way.

Yes, Stingraysailing was $45/adult, but they are having an increase on Jan 1st, 2011 to $50/adult. This is the quote from their website:

As of January 01 2011 we will be raising our price. Unfortunatly as a result of increased operating expenses we are left to choose between increasing the number of people that we take on each tour, which would make us more like the other operators that we are trying to distinguish ourselves from, or raise our price and keep our numbers small and our trips personal. We trust that our Guests will understand what is needed for us to maintain the level of service that our reputation has been built upon.

They have a max of 29 people per tour. We chose them because we prefer the catamaran vs power boat. We are very excited for this excursion, it should be fun!

We just went with Stingray Sailing last Friday and they were FANTASTIC!! The catameran was amazing. We layed on the trampoline and just looked into the crystal clear water. The staff were amazing and really helpful. The snorkelling was tough because of high winds, but the guide showed us the reef and watched out for everyone. Showed us this super cool eel and took fabulous photos of us. The stingrays were incredible and the guide again was super!!! They keep their tours small to give personal service and it was great to be with them and not on a huge boat with a ton of people, which were all around us. We had lots of time and it was super fun and relaxing. I highly recommend them for sure!

• 2 months later...

Archived