Captain Marvin's or Stingray Sailing for GC?

cruisecrazy82

We're going in April and have decided to take Stingray Sailings. I love the idea of the catamaran... my kids have never been on a sailboat!

Did stingraysailings last friday on the Glory.it was a blast and YES the catamaran is the best .It s was cool i want to go back and use them again. Best choice as far as I am concerned.

We used Captain Marvin's on our last cruise. We had a great experience - small group of travelers and a staff that was very accommodating. Our upcoming cruise in April, I booked Stingray Sailing. I want my children to have a sailing experience - should be an interesting adventure.

See if I have the main points correct between Capt Marvins and Stingray...

Capt Marvin (half-day) is $40 cash and you get 2 snorkel stops, but you're "just on a boat."

Stingray is $50 - you only get 1 snorkel stop but you go on a catamaran.

Both go to stingray city and the refreshments are about the same...both get great reviews...

Stingraysailing.com will do 2 stops if you ask them.The catamaran is awsume.You got the water going underneath you and you can look down to the water all the whole way. For 10 dollars you are much better off on the catamran. If 10 dollars per person is important to you then go the other route. Its all about the experience.If you never been on a catamaran you are missing out.There is a reason you pay a little more.My videos from the last week!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kADRJmILCB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8P0BLb6Vm0

We used Captain Marvin's last Wednesday - we had a great time, despite somewhat rough water. Stingray City had been closed for a few days before and they were concerned that we might not get to stop there, but it reopened in time, although it was still very windy. We stopped there first, then did the two snorkeling stops (which, quite honestly, weren't much different from each other in terms of fish/coral). They also stopped and pulled up some starfish for us to hold. The crew was great and they had bait for us to feed the fish and stingrays. Photos were expensive IMO ($30 for your pics and some pics of Grand Cayman wildlife, but she only got 4 pics of us), but no pressure. I saw the StingraySailing boat when we were at Stingray City and while it looked like fun, I wouldn't have paid extra for it.

We used Captain Marvin's last Wednesday - we had a great time, despite somewhat rough water. Stingray City had been closed for a few days before and they were concerned that we might not get to stop there, but it reopened in time, although it was still very windy. We stopped there first, then did the two snorkeling stops (which, quite honestly, weren't much different from each other in terms of fish/coral). They also stopped and pulled up some starfish for us to hold. The crew was great and they had bait for us to feed the fish and stingrays. Photos were expensive IMO ($30 for your pics and some pics of Grand Cayman wildlife, but she only got 4 pics of us), but no pressure. I saw the StingraySailing boat when we were at Stingray City and while it looked like fun, I wouldn't have paid extra for it.

Thanks for the review! We're booked with Marvin's in April.

Stingraysailing.com has shade and free ice cold water and after free fruit to eat.its about the only thing free you will find on this island!!

The catamarans are less motion due to less hull in the water They also have a bathroom on board incase..The Catamaran kinda cuts through the water like a knife. You will really enjoy the less crowed catamarans and lots of room as they limit the amount of people on the boat. Very nice people also.

My 17 year old son considers the morning we spent with Stingray Sailing the best day of his life, I consider it the second best day of my life, the first being the day he was born. (And yes, I have told my husband that meeting him was third). We have some amazing video from that day taken with a FLIP camera in an underwater case, however the screen saver on all our computers is the family picture they took of all three of us 'holding' one of the stingrays.

Because this was our first time to Grand Cayman we wanted the catamaran experience, which we loved and will probably do again when we get to return.

Can you take a waterproof camera and take your own pictures?

Yes you can,On our excursion Michelle(owner) even took pictures of us with my camera because it was not waterprrof so i left it on the boat.She got some great shots of us in the water.I suggest if going on a crusie and you do water excursions to buy a waterproof camera. we bought a $100 Fuji waterproof camera and its takes awsume pics and movies underwater.

Given these two choices--which type of boat or catamaran had shade?

Which boat would a child Not get seesick on?

Thanks for answers in advance. :)

There was shade, a bathroom and water/fruit punch with Captain Marvin. There wasn't any more ocean movement than there would be in any other boat that size - I think seasickness is going to depend more on the weather the day you go than on which boat you take.

I just emailed stingray sailing and got a response. My question is since i am going in May..they said they are an hour off of florida time then and I am not sure if royal carib. stays on florida time or not. did any one have any issues with the island and ship times being different? they said to be at their stop at 8:15 am, which i assume may be 9:15 ship time?? if i understood it right.

Our family has gone on Captain Marvin's excursion twice and Stingray Sailing once. The Stingray Sailing tour was by far the best. The catamaran was not crowded at all. We also went to a better snorkling spot and the trip back was wonderful using the sails.

I just emailed stingray sailing and got a response. My question is since i am going in May..they said they are an hour off of florida time then and I am not sure if royal carib. stays on florida time or not. did any one have any issues with the island and ship times being different? they said to be at their stop at 8:15 am, which i assume may be 9:15 ship time?? if i understood it right.

Our group of 12 will be sailing the Freedom on May 15th and we have already booked with Stingray Sailing. Yes you are correct Ship time 9:15.

Our group of 12 will be sailing the Freedom on May 15th and we have already booked with Stingray Sailing. Yes you are correct Ship time 9:15.

That is the cruise we are on also, May 15. We got our confirmation email yesterday to book. I like the idea of the catamaran too..sounds awesome

That is the cruise we are on also, May 15. We got our confirmation email yesterday to book. I like the idea of the catamaran too..sounds awesome

Well it looks like we'll be doing the excursion together. :p We are looking forward to this excursion the most.

Michele was very prompt in responding to my many, many, many, questions, so if there is anything you would like to know I may already have the answer for you. We are crossing our fingers that we have enough time to enjoy the beach afterwards.

I am also worried about this. Not sure if we will be able to make it

I am also worried about this. Not sure if we will be able to make it

that was one of the reasons we booked with captain marvin- they have an afternoon (1pm) tour so we don't have to fight the masses for a tender ticket

I just got an email from stingraysailing.com. She said their trip leaves at 9:15 with a meeting time at 9:00am. Our Carnival Liberty itinerary shows an arrival time in GC for 10:00am so I don't know if we can make it. I'm not sure what time zone the ship is talking about on the itinerary. It could be that the arrival time is 9:00am GC time.

Does anyone have any info on this?:confused:

I just got an email from stingraysailing.com. She said their trip leaves at 9:15 with a meeting time at 9:00am. Our Carnival Liberty itinerary shows an arrival time in GC for 10:00am so I don't know if we can make it. I'm not sure what time zone the ship is talking about on the itinerary. It could be that the arrival time is 9:00am GC time.

Nothing gets into GC cayman on "right on time".They will wait for you.Alls you have to do is make sure your down early to get a ticket and wait for a about an 1/2 hour to an hour and you will be off the ship first. When you tender its alwasy hurry up and wait.if you don't get down there early and wait it will take you awhile to get off the ship. It all depends how bad you want off the ship

Yes the ship is one hour ahead of GC.In the winter its the same time as GC does not move its clocks.Stingraysailing is a blast.You will love the catamaran.

Archived