St Petersburg

russy1

Hi, We are travelling on the Azura next June and have a two day stopover in St Petersburg

Can anyone tell me. how much p & o charge for the shore excursions as I am not sure whether to book with them or a private tour?

Hi, We are travelling on the Azura next June and have a two day stopover in St Petersburg

Can anyone tell me. how much p & o charge for the shore excursions as I am not sure whether to book with them or a private tour?

Thanks Seasprout, I have had a quote from a private travel company for the four of us and I think it's great value for a private tour, but my dad wants to wait until the excursion prices come out for the ship. I think I will just book the private tour and hope for the best. (Won't tell him until we leave!):D

I haven't been to St Pete so this isn't from experience, but isn't there some issue with visas at St Petersburg? I think I've read that unless you have a personal visa (only obtainable from the Russian embassy, and involving quite a bit of time, effort and money, I'm told) you can only do excursions with 'official' tour providers?

Hi Tom,

You are correct in what you say but the land based tour companies also organise a group visa, the same as one organised by the ships tours, so an individual visa is not required.

A goup visa only allows you to go on the tour you have booked and does not allow you to walk around the city on your own, not that you would want to.

Brian

Hi Tom UK,

I have checked in to this and you can use a private company for an organised tour and they have a blanket visa for you, the same as the cruise company. They just have to be a registered guide. I have checked it out and lots of people have used private companies on cruises with no problem. The cruise companies like you to believe that you have to buy their excursions only. The only thing you can't do is walk ashore on your own without a visa;)

We did a 2 day tour with tj travel in SPB this summer, small van , total of 6 of us, they took care of everything, very worthwhile

We did exactly the same but with Red October 6 of us in a mini bus plus a wheelchair, they did everything including the visas, they were great and we covered everything we asked for.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived