Jewelry shopping western Carribean

karrie

Hi, A few weeks ago our house was broken into. The jerks stole all my jewelry. Fortunately they didn't take anything else or wreck my house. Anyway I have a cruise booked in November going to Belize,Roataan, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Anyone have a favorite jewelry store at any of these ports? I don't buy a lot of jewelry and have only shopped in St Thomas and St Maarten. I may want to replace my favorite sapphire earrings. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Karrie

I like Romero and Rochet in Cozumel. They have loose stones that you can have set in about 1/2 hour. It makes a truly custom piece of jewelry. I got a fire opal set into a ring.

If you go to the shopping talk onboard, they will give you a person to ask for at the store for a special discount. I got a price, then mentioned the associates name. The price went down about $50.

I've had quite a few items made or repaired the same day.I have a great craftsman there in his workshop that does great designs for me. I leave stuff about 930, and return about 3:30 to pick up. I have cash, always. When I am cruzin every month from Aug to Feb, I leave it, and return next cruze to pick up. I have never been dissappointed. Either he, or I draw..til we have a great piece. I have gone thru my no longer worn silver and gold, for spare parts, as well as stones, and he is a whiz. sometimes i just tell him to do it til he loves it!

The most reliable place for quality jewelry, of the places you mentioned, is Grand Cayman.

Mexico is notorious for substituting inferior quality stones and plated gold for the real thing, and the other ports are more for craftsy things than for jewelry.

At Grand Cayman you might pay a tadbitty more, but the quality you will get will surpass anything you get in the other ports.... and the merchants are much more trustworthy.

Hi, A few weeks ago our house was broken into. The jerks stole all my jewelry. Fortunately they didn't take anything else or wreck my house. Anyway I have a cruise booked in November going to Belize,Roataan, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Anyone have a favorite jewelry store at any of these ports? I don't buy a lot of jewelry and have only shopped in St Thomas and St Maarten. I may want to replace my favorite sapphire earrings. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Karrie

If you want sapphires, the Columbia Emerald chain store might be a place to browse for them. You might even be able to check out their on line catalog first to decide if it's worthwhile and which stores are in your itinerary.

In Key West you can get actual spanish coins from shipwrecks from the 1600's set in gold or silver pendants or rings. They really are amazing. They also sell a key west bracelet that's unique in gold or silver. Be careful in the islands and in Cozumel. Prices used to be really great 15 yrs ago or so, but not so much anymore. You may actually get a better deal by shopping at a major discounter jewerler in the U.S. Your quality will be more assured.

Archived