Buying loose diamonds in Cozumel

bigtoeswim'n

Just looking for any good or bad stores about buying a loose diamond in Cozumel. My #1 son is looking at engagement rings, and I told him I'd check with my CC buddies. Anyone with FIRST HAND experience with Cozumel. I have read very mixed reviews on the Cozumel and other travel sites. Thanks in advance to who ever answers. :D

First of all, you must be an informed consumer.....

1. know that lazer drilling and "filling" both affect the value of a stone.

(which is why both must be noted on any Appraisal )

2. price a similar stone in the US before you go.

3. know the quality of stone you want....

Personally, if it is going to be an significant purchase....you may want to use a trusted jeweler at home..... unless you really know your stones...

I agree with the previous poster. You can get amazing deals, or you can get totally screwed. The key is knowing what you are looking at. If you spend a lot of time doing research and looking at jewelry stores, etc., you might be able to educate yourself enough.

son-in-law & daughter picked stone in Coz at Diamonds International....at advice of a very trusted store at home - needed a stone to fit a specific setting....courier brought stone into US at New York and our store picked up in the city - appraisal was way higher than they paid....bottom line though is to know what the prices are before you go and deal with a international firm in Coz.

I have a friend that bought a diamond in Cozumel on vacation and the appraisal here was less than she paid in Mexico. The diamond was of a lower clarity and carat count than what she had been told. It really is buyer beware.. I would check out diamonds first in a major jewerly chain and decide what specifics: clarity, carat and color that you want before you cruise and get a price point for what you want. If you know diamonds you can get an okay deal, but you can also get taken too. If you are making a large purchase I'd buy at home or with a jewerler-discounter chain in a near major U.S.city.

I would never make a purchase that big on a cruise. Too many variables (anyone remember the person who was ripping people off who shopped at the on-board Jewelry shop on Carnival Cruises?), too many things could go wrong (purchase one type of stone and find out that it was switched for a lesser stone), etc...

If it was me, I would buy the ring from a reputable jeweler in a major city near you, or go the the Diamond District in NYC.

And by all means, do your research BEFORE purchasing!!!

My personal opinion: I would sooner take my money down to the local crack house and give it to one of the dealers there and tell him I want 5 carats of fine diamonds than to buy loose diamonds on a cruise. I stand less of a chance of being cheated. Plus our local crack heads have a much better grade of broken glass to foist off on the unsuspecting.

Doc

My personal opinion: I would sooner take my money down to the local crack house and give it to one of the dealers there and tell him I want 5 carats of fine diamonds than to buy loose diamonds on a cruise. I stand less of a chance of being cheated. Plus our local crack heads have a much better grade of broken glass to foist off on the unsuspecting.

Doc

Well that may be a bit extreme. I would steer clear of the crack houses, unless your looking for crack of course. But point taken, buyer beware when making jewelery purchases in Mexico. I personally wouldn't spend more than $100 on any jewelery bought on a cruise.

Best of luck to you!

I didn't buy a diamond... but have bought loose emeralds at Diamonds international in Coz and Costa Maya. NEVER had a regret or problem.

Once appraised, in US, I had a HUGE smile!!! Almost three times what I paid!!! But, I had the guarantee of CARNIVAL if they hadn't!!!

BUT... do price the stone you want here!!! Like the previous poster stated... so you'll know that the price is right for the quality they're putting into writing.

There are good deals to be found in the cruise ports....

7 years ago, hubby FINALLY got me the Rolex I had been looking at for 5 years at Kirk's in Grand Cayman.

At that time, no one in the US would discount a Rolex (of course, now they will) PLUS we saved our state sales tax (which is almost 10%)...

Same thing with the Breitling hubby bought in 2006....

BUT we had thoroughly done our research...

HOWEVER, watches are a simple item to know all the facts about.

Stones are much more difficult.

FYI, Kirk's at Grand Cayman, John Bull's in Nassau and A H Rize in St Thomas used to be the main Rolex dealers.

Cozumel is now added to that list. I don't remember the name of the store, but it is in the shopping mall at the Punta Langosta mall.

Thx to all who responed. It is still a mixed opinion subject. Yes, buyer be ware. I'll forward these thoughts to #1 son. Something tells me my thoughts will end up in the "trash" LOL. It is a good thing to be humble. LOL have a nice day everyone. :D

Archived