Cabin change due to adding a 3rd person

leaski

My SIL is thinking of joining my DH and I on our cruise to the Bahamas next year. We currently have an obstructed view balcony and thought the couch could be made into a bed. When we questioned our PVP (by e-mail) she sent us a reply stating we would have to pay an extra $150 and switch our cabin. I looked on the deck plans and saw that we would be moved to a cabin with 2 twin beds and a couch bed. My question is this, if a couch can be made into a bed in that cabin, why can't it be made into a bed in our original cabin? We don't need a bigger bed (2 twins made into a king), and really don't want to give up any space. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

My SIL is thinking of joining my DH and I on our cruise to the Bahamas next year. We currently have an obstructed view balcony and thought the couch could be made into a bed. When we questioned our PVP (by e-mail) she sent us a reply stating we would have to pay an extra $150 and switch our cabin. I looked on the deck plans and saw that we would be moved to a cabin with 2 twin beds and a couch bed. My question is this, if a couch can be made into a bed in that cabin, why can't it be made into a bed in our original cabin? We don't need a bigger bed (2 twins made into a king), and really don't want to give up any space. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

Some cabins are designated to only hold two passengers, and if that is what you are booked into you have to switch. Some sofas turn into beds and others don't, just like at home.

As far as paying more to switch cabins, you might have to and you might not. If there are cabins in your category that will accommodate three people there should be no charge to switch cabins. If you have to switch categories then you have to pay the current fare for the new category.

What you need to do is make a decision and then call the 800# and see what Carnival can do.

People on the boards can give you more advice if you let us know your ship, sail date, and current cabin category.

You know, I wondered this myself, as there are very few triple occupancy cabins in my category, yet the photos I've seen of doubles with a couch look exactly the same as the triples with a couch. :eek:

From experience, I know that the only thing about the couch that makes it "convert" to a bed is that the cabin steward removes the back cushions, shoves the cushions under the bed, and puts sheets on the couch. So the only thing I can think of is maybe the couches in double-occupancy cabins are a little shorter or don't have removable back cushions?

We will be sailing on the Carnival Pride, 10/23/2011, and our cabin is a 7A Balcony. How do you tell if it is a double, triple or single?

Check out the deck plan key at the bottom.

No icon on the room means it's just 2 twin beds that convert. One dot means it's a triple with bunk, 2 dots mean a quad with 2 bunks, a star means a convertible couch (triple), and a diamond means a full-size convertible couch (quad).

Not all couches can be converted into beds. It's possible that the couch in the original cabin can't be converted, and that cabin is designated as a double.

There are strict occupancy requirements that a ship has to adhere to. People can't just be added without taking that into consideration as well.

We will be sailing on the Carnival Pride, 10/23/2011, and our cabin is a 7A Balcony. How do you tell if it is a double, triple or single?

The 7A's are all on deck 5 (obstructed view balconies). There are doubles, triples and quads available. You should be able to switch to a triple or a quad with no penalty unless all of them are already booked but that sailing is a year away so I would be surprised if that is the case.

I wonder if the $150 was the required deposit.

Call the 800# and talk to whoever you get. They will be able to switch you without any problem if a cabin is available.

(This may sound foolish but are you sure that you are dealing with a Carnival PVP and not a TA?)

I was in a PT that held 2, I had carefully booked almost 2 years out, when rates came out, and then someone joined us and I had to give it up and move to a triple 4A. I know how hard it is to give up a much better cabin to me.

Muster boats are assigned and match the occupancy of the cabins. You are not even allowed to put a baby in the cabin that doesnt have a regular bed even if the baby doesnt sleep in a bed. Iv seen that before and they say, we will put the baby in a pack n play, we dont want the bed. They have to have a bed.

The 7A's are all on deck 5 (obstructed view balconies). There are doubles, triples and quads available. You should be able to switch to a triple or a quad with no penalty unless all of them are already booked but that sailing is a year away so I would be surprised if that is the case.

I wonder if the $150 was the required deposit.

Call the 800# and talk to whoever you get. They will be able to switch you without any problem if a cabin is available.

(This may sound foolish but are you sure that you are dealing with a Carnival PVP and not a TA?)

I was thinking the $150 might be a deposit, and yes she is a PVP, we have worked with her for 3 of our 4 cruises. Normally she calls when we send an e-mail as it is sometimes difficult for us to reach her. This is actually the first time she did not call. I plan on trying to reach her later today, but I wanted to make sure I was 'prepared' with as much info as possible. All of our other cruises have been pretty straight forward, no changes or problems with any of the bookings.

Thanks for all the info. It's much appreciated!:)

Archived