infant on cruise

jennifer22780

i will be traveling with my three year old and infant in february on the Gem. While i feel the gratuity is completely appropriate for my husband, 3 year old and myself, i feel it is a bit much for an infant, if in fact i am obligated to pay that same amount. anyone know?

i will be traveling with my three year old and infant in february on the Gem. While i feel the gratuity is completely appropriate for my husband, 3 year old and myself, i feel it is a bit much for an infant, if in fact i am obligated to pay that same amount. anyone know?

I hope this helps I took it from NCL.com

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

The $12 per person per day service charge that will be added to your onboard account only applies to passengers age 3 and above. You will not be charged for the infant.

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19261

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Children under 3 do not pay full fare with NCL, they only have to pay taxes and fees

No...they have to pay more than taxes and fees. Even under 2 there is a reduced cruise fare to pay except in the rare case of a "kids cruise free" promotion.

For example I just did a test booking for a cruise on the Gem with 2 adults and a 1 year old, and the 1 year old was charged $169 plus taxes and fees.

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19252

Do children cruise for free?

Kids under two cruise at a substantially reduced fare and certain itineraries offer specials on 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom. Infants under six months of age are not eligible for travel on NCL ships.

While NCL doesn't assess the DSC for children younger than 3, I urge you to base your tipping for your infant on what you see the crew do for him/her (sorry, I don't know which). There will be messes and diapers and other cabin items used. Your steward will set up and take down the crib or pack n' play every day. The waitstaff will go out of their way to provide what they can for your baby. Often they will help arrange for pureed fresh foods and they almost always spend time trying to entertain even the youngest passenger. The rest of the crew will no doubt dote on both your youngsters.

Mind you I'm not admonishing you to "pay the same DSC because the crew works so hard." How much is completely up to you. I just want to let you know that it's a virtual certainty that your infant will be as pampered as you are, which will make the cruise more fun for everyone and make it a memory that you'll never forget. (Don't listen to the naysayers with their "The baby won't even remember." You will!)

beachchick

Under 2 pays ncf, port charges and taxes. Over 2 pays whatever the going 3rd/4th passenger rate is. I have 2 year old twins and we are sailing in January. I assumed they'd charge a service charge for them, since they will be eating with us and going to the kids club. I'll just tip separately for them.

Under 2 pays ncf, port charges and taxes. Over 2 pays whatever the going 3rd/4th passenger rate is. I have 2 year old twins and we are sailing in January. I assumed they'd charge a service charge for them, since they will be eating with us and going to the kids club. I'll just tip separately for them.

FYI, the kids club staff does NOT particiapte in the DSC pool, so even if you have a child 3 or over for whom the service will be billed, you should consider tipping the kids club staff, if you believe it is warranted.

thanks everyone!!!

i couldnt find it, and the site kept timing out on me, so glad to see i can count on everyone here to help :-)

i agree- the staff does still do things for the babies, so i will still give a tip for that, but i just dont know that it should be the same as the rest of us. Last time we cruised, my son was an infant, and we lef the PNP in the room the whole time, and we set it up and broke it down when we wanted to, since he still took 2-3 naps a day. It would have been silly to call them to help us each time, PLUS again at bed. BUT the staff was pretty good as far as playing/entertaining my son at dinner, while waiting in line to get off the ship, etc.

=)

Archived