Carnival Ship's security

bodog402

Pirates are not well financed or organized either. Plus their goal is extortion not terror.

The current record for a boat on the water is over 300 mph. 25kts won't outrun that type of technology for long.

Man, I should slap myself. I sound like I'm instilling paranoia. I'm sure there are many measures in place to prevent this.

Sure.....ok, well if you've ever seen/read stories about Somali and other pirates, they don't exactly have Nos powered Cigar boats at their disposal. More like older fishing vessels some with inboard some with outboard, AK's and an RPG here and there. If you want to make up a fictional pirate group out of St. Thomas with night vission, sniper rifles and state of the art assault boats, it might be feasable. In the real world, a cruise ship would be an extreamly difficult target to board and maintain control of for todays pirates.

Sure.....ok, well if you've ever seen/read stories about Somali and other pirates, they don't exactly have Nos powered Cigar boats at their disposal. More like older fishing vessels some with inboard some with outboard, AK's and an RPG here and there. If you want to make up a fictional pirate group out of St. Thomas with night vission, sniper rifles and state of the art assault boats, it might be feasable. In the real world, a cruise ship would be an extreamly difficult target to board and maintain control of for todays pirates.

True, but the scenario wasn't about boarding and maintaining control. I agree that boarding one would be nearly impossible for anything short of a navy. Even then, highly, highly unlikely.

Not a good idea, considering the copius amounts of alcohol being consumed on cruises. A terrorist attack is an extremely remote possibility. Drunken fights with accompanying gunfire would be the far more likely outcome of your proposal.

This would be a valid argument if the only place alcohol was ever available and consumed was on a cruise ship. Permitted and licensed concealed handgun owners are always within reach of alcohol while on shore, and they are the ones least likely to be involved in those types of encounters.

The ones I worry about are the unlicensed and untrained folks who carry without regard to laws and decorum. Those of us who have taken on the grave responsibility of arming ourselves as allowed under the Constitution and state laws know how we must conduct ourselves in public. In Texas, you get a pass if your BAC level is less than 0.08% while driving. If you happen to hold a CHL, any detectable level of alcohol in your system is cause for confiscation of your firearm and revocation of your license - forever. If you ever step foot into a Chili's or other type restaurant within 100 miles of where I live, don't doubt for one second that there aren't CHL holders around you. But they most likely aren't going to be the loudmouth at the bar......

This would be a valid argument if the only place alcohol was ever available and consumed was on a cruise ship. Permitted and licensed concealed handgun owners are always within reach of alcohol while on shore, and they are the ones least likely to be involved in those types of encounters.

The ones I worry about are the unlicensed and untrained folks who carry without regard to laws and decorum. Those of us who have taken on the grave responsibility of arming ourselves as allowed under the Constitution and state laws know how we must conduct ourselves in public. In Texas, you get a pass if your BAC level is less than 0.08% while driving. If you happen to hold a CHL, any detectable level of alcohol in your system is cause for confiscation of your firearm and revocation of your license - forever. If you ever step foot into a Chili's or other type restaurant within 100 miles of where I live, don't doubt for one second that there aren't CHL holders around you. But they most likely aren't going to be the loudmouth at the bar......

My assertion was that the chance of a successful terrorist attack was extremely remote. I believe the chance of an alcohol fueled shooting is more likely than the successful terrorist takeover of a modern cruise ship. That is not the same thing as saying that a shooting involving CHL is likely.

It seems to me that if terrorists were to attack a cruise ship, it would most likely be a suicide attack. Whether there are 50 or 500 CHL holders aboard, it won't matter. The terrorists will take the easy route. They will crash something into the ship which will be loaded with explosives. Hopefully, someone will notice a ship or aircraft behaving erratically in time for the military to be called in to intercept the attacker.

Archived