Ziplining for the overweight and out of shape

Party Teacher

My family wants to zipline when we're in PV, Maz, and Cabo next year. Just how strenuous are these adventures? Is there much uphill hiking

involved? Do you rapel down at the end? I read that your thighs have

to be 28" or less. Does this apply to all the companies?

Hi Party Teacher. We did the ziplines in Puerto Vallarta in March. Los Veranos. It was amazing, especially for the kids ages 9 and 12. I like to walk and hike but I am a size 16. My friend who was with us has larger thighs than I and they had an attachment to the harness part that goes around your legs. With that said, it is very physical. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't a workout. There is uphill hiking between each zipline(there are 14 lines). When you get to each line the guides help hoist you up to latch on. They say "give me your sexy leg":D You then hop with one leg up as high as you can. They do try to help "lift" with your hop. It is a lot of fun. I recommend it. Good memories:)

No repelling at the end of the Los Veranos zipline. Just a nice river, a restaurant and little "zoo". There are lockers and restrooms. The drive to the site was really wonderful. It looked like something out of a movie. Mountains, jungle and clouds. Check it out. There website goes by their name.

I ziplined at Los Veranos about 5 years ago. It was a blast and I'm so glad I went. My son had wanted to and my DH was too big to take him. There is some walking involved - some uphill. There weren't any long jaunts I don't believe. I made it all just fine, but there was a time or two I stopped to catch my breath.

The worst part was I knew the weight limit was 250....... I was 235#. One of the employees did take me in by the lockers to a scale to weigh me. I almost freaked out - til I realized it was in kilos! A different employee was taking the money. When I paid he gave me a good look up and down - I pointed to the other guy and said he'd already weighed me.

Don't wear your favorite clothing.....wear something dark or something you don't care much about.

We went last year by Playa del Carmen. There was quite a lot of stairs and spiral type climbs. Since you are going next year I would suggest walking now and getting prepared a bit. It will help out a lot, both dh and I were pretty tired and also had to stop and catch our breath a few times.

I agree with most of what is said on Los Veranos. We were there this past April. I did not pre-exercise (walk) @ home prior to this excursion & I have to say, I wish I had. There are a few good stretches of walking up hill. It exausted me & I had to stop more than a couple of times to rest. I wasn't alone. Of course it was all worth it, even if I was/still am afraid of heights!:eek: Glad I went, very exhilarating!

• 1 month later...

We did the Outdoor Adventure which is zip lining and rappeling. I was not in that great of shape - overweight and I have 2 "fake" hips. I liked this excursion for zip lining because it starts with a speed boat, army jeep ride, then you ride mules (scary - but exciting) to almost the top - which means less hiking! Then there is a short but steep hike to the 1st zip line - after that it was all easy. short walks, not uphill to each zip line and to rappel. At the end there is a short hike out, but it is flat and downhill.

Did the zipline excursion in Antigua which consisted of 12 Ziplines. There was a lot of hiking involved and some trecherous uphill stair climbs especially at the end. I consider myself to be in halfway decent shape, but that climb at the end to get back up to the beginning was a lot in the heat of Antingua in October! I believe the weight limits is consistent with what others have posted in their expierience in other places.

I did the zip line in Cabro through Carnival. There was a lot of walking, mostly uphill and at a quick pace. There were some other things as well, ladder/rock climbing and rope bridge. There was a part to rapel but we had the option to zip instead. I zipped and my cousin did the rapel and then up a ladder. It was not super strenuous but it was no walk in the park either.

Jen in SoCal

My family wants to zipline when we're in PV, Maz, and Cabo next year. Just how strenuous are these adventures? Is there much uphill hiking

involved? Do you rapel down at the end? I read that your thighs have

to be 28" or less. Does this apply to all the companies?

Archived