french strike

munster

what are the chances the french strike will affect QM2 at cherbourg nov. 9

It does not appear to be affecting the ports yet, but you can never tell. I think anyone due to fly in to France to board in Cherbourg or leaving there to fly home could have problems though. We will know for sure in a little over 2 weeks.

Ah, mes cousins français! I love 'em. They seem to be the only folks still willing to challenge official reality as presented by Rupert Murdoch and his ilk and to maintain their focus on living well. It seems that more than 70% of the French public is in the support of the labor actions in spite of the inconvenience they clearly cause to so many. That's what you call "Solidarité!" There are always work-arounds in such cases as most discover. "On peut se débrouiller," as the French say.

They seem to be the only folks still willing to challenge official reality ..

I think you'll find it's the other way round. They, like the UK public sector, live in La-La land; they think the world owes them a living and they expect everyone else, but themselves, to pay for it.

47% of the EU budget goes on the CAP. And who gets the most out of that ? Oh yes, French farmers. I don't pay my taxes to supplement the French; Oh hang, actually I do.

I think you'll find it's the other way round. They, like the UK public sector, live in La-La land; they think the world owes them a living and they expect everyone else, but themselves, to pay for it.

That's a little unfair on, for example, hardworking teachers, nurses and soldiers. All who work in the public sector and pay taxes too. There are many, many others in the same position.

I thought it was those who refused to work who actually expected others to pay their way? Not those who pay taxes at the same rate as the private sector.

WD

Sorry, what is net tax? Could you explain?

What I mean is that the net tax contribution of a public sector employee is zero.

To clarify by example ( figures just to illustrate the point ):

Private sector employee :

Earns £25k, pays £5k a year in income tax. So they contribute £5k to the state.

Public sector employee :

Earns £25k, pays £5k a year in income tax. So, the state pays them £25k, and then takes back £5k in income tax. i.e. just the same as the state paying them £20k in the first place. i.e. they make no net tax contribution to the state.

Taking the point further; the public sector generates no income for the state. If everyone was employed in the Public sector, the state would have no income.

What I mean is that the net tax contribution of a public sector employee is zero.

Public sector employee :

Earns £25k, pays £5k a year in income tax. So, the state pays them £25k, and then takes back £5k in income tax. i.e. just the same as the state paying them £20k in the first place. i.e. they make no net tax contribution to the state.

Taking the point further; the public sector generates no income for the state. If everyone was employed in the Public sector, the state would have no income.

Od dear. Someone not only reads the Daily Mail (sad enough), but believes it.

I presume therefore that you would sack every nurse, every teacher and every member of the Armed Forces as parasites on the wonderful private sector? Oh, and the police too.

No? Why not? They are public sector workers, after all.

WD.

Od dear. Someone not only reads the Daily Mail (sad enough), but believes it.

Oh dear, someone who trots out the "Daily Mail" line when they are presented with a right-wing argument that they don't care for.

Clearly, we do need a public sector; what we don't need is one the size it is.

However, it depends on what you think the primary function of the public sector is; Is it

a) To provide the people of the country with services that they require ? ( for example, health, education, defence, etc )

Or is it

b) To provide employment.

It clear it should be a), but the last Labour Government decided it was b).

You have to feel sorry for the French - being made to work until they are 62 !

Oh no, hang on, I've got that wrong; they should all be put up against the wall and shot.

That's just offensive. Plain and simple. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about if you think it's just about pensions.

The truth is, the French have had enough of what's going on in their country, the freedom of the press being challenged, the parliament being constantly smothered, the gap growing wider between the few very, very, very rich people and the always poorer population, the far right politics shamelessly led by the government, I could go on and on and on.

I presume therefore that you would sack every nurse, every teacher and every member of the Armed Forces as parasites on the wonderful private sector?

And, pardon me if I've got this completely wrong (as a long-time parasite, my mental capacity is not great), but wasn't it our saintly private sector, ably led by bankers, city traders, financiers, and sundry other shysters, flim-flam artists, and barrow boys, who got us into our current mess in the first place?

J

And, pardon me if I've got this completely wrong (as a long-time parasite, my mental capacity is not great), but wasn't it our saintly private sector, ably led by bankers, city traders, financiers, and sundry other shysters, flim-flam artists, and barrow boys, who got us into our current mess in the first place?

J

No Jimmy - you must have got it wrong :( All those upstanding pillars of our community were the ones who, at no small cost to themselves, sorted the mess that others had created :p :D

J

And then J, you have the cheek to spend your £20K enjoying yourself and supporting Cunard!

just the same as the state paying them £20k in the first place. i.e. they make no net tax contribution to the state.
Suggests that you have a low opinion of the non-tax contributions of public sector employees. Seems the only way out for you would be for them to pay more in taxes than they earn in theeir jobs.

Public sector employee :

My goodness there is an obvious answer to all this madness. If the private sector is paying too many, unfair taxes, why it is very easy enough to remedy. Just have a tea party. We did and we had good results!:D

My goodness there is an obvious answer to all this madness. If the private sector is paying too many, unfair taxes, why it is very easy enough to remedy. Just have a tea party. We did and we had good results!:D

Your picking up the British humour trait very well.

Archived