Close to FINAL ITINERARY - please review

pug85747

My husband and I are booked on the RC Radiance of the Seas - departing June 24th, 2011 from Vancouver. After quite a bit of planning, and guidance from the MilePost and CruiseCritic forums...I feel I have almost completed our cruise and land itinerary for review! ***We will have our 2 yr. old daughter with us.***

Cruise Portion

June 23rd - Arrive in Vancouver and explore Stanley Park

June 24th – Depart Vancouver

June 25th – day at sea

June 26th – KETCHIKAN - Self-guided walking tour (Creek Street, Married Men’s Trail, Dolly’s House, Alaska Fish House, etc.)

June 27th – ICY STRAIGHT POINT – take turns riding Zip Rider, remaining time spent hiking the nature loop and walking the beach

June 28th – JUNEAU – Mt. Roberts Tram and hiking, Gold Creek Salmon Bake, Project Playground, remaining time spent touring downtown Juneau

June 29th – SKAGWAY – Chilkoot Charters train/bus combo tour, self-guided walking tour around Skagway with our remaining time

June 30th – day at sea

July 1st – SEWARD – disembark the cruise ship, Sealife Center, hike Exit Glacier, board Alaska Railroad for Anchorage, pick up rental car by 11pm

Land Portion

July 2nd – ANCHORAGE to DENALI – along the way, travel to Independence Mine State Park and Hatcher’s Pass, and stop in Talkeetna

July 3rd – DENALI – visitors center/museum w/ 10am dogsled demonstration, hike Mt. Healy overlook trail, get dinner around the park entrance, if we feel up to it – perhaps take a drive to the Savage River

July 4th (we’ll sing some patriotic songs in the car)– DENALI to ??? – spend the morning in Denali – perhaps do another short hike around the entrance – head north through Fairbanks (make a quick stop at North Pole). (QUESTION: we really have no interest in seeing Fairbanks, and our goal is to get to Valdez – but we wanted to split the drive from Denali to Valdez into two days…but we’re not sure where to stay the night to split the trip in half. Delta Junction???)

July 5th - ??? to VALDEZ (QUESTION: Any suggestions for places to stop, hike, or drive along the way to Valdez? I know there’s Copper Center and Wrangle-St. Elias National Park…worth stopping with a toddler?)

July 6th – VALDEZ – explore Valdez (museums and shopping), Hike Goat Trail and Wagon Road if weather permits), perhaps go biking or fishing

July 7th – VALDEZ to ANCHORAGE – just that, drive from Valdez to Anchorage making scenic stops along the way

July 8th – ANCHORAGE – Alaska Zoo, Alaska Museum and Science Center, spend evening in downtown Anchorage

July 9th – WHITTIER – drive to Whittier stopping at the Alyeska Tram along the way, must be to the tunnel by 11:30am, 26 Glacier Cruise on Prince William Sound, dinner at the Inn at Whittier, drive back to Anchorage stopping at Potter’s Marsh along the way

July 10th – ANCHORAGE – bike the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, prepare to fly home (extremely early morning flight on the 11th)

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated...especially for the portion between Denali and Valdez. Thanks ahead of time!!!

Sounds like you have a great cruise plan. You might have some extra time in port - but that will probably depend on your little one's energy level ;)

Just a thought here, but since you have no interest in Fairbanks, maybe you could return south after Denali and drive to Valdez through the Matanuska region (overnight in Palmer, Wasilla, or Glennallen, depending on how far you want to drive in one day). Then after your time in Valdez, take the ferry to Whittier, and head back to Anchorage for a few days before flying home.

Something like....

July 2nd – ANCHORAGE to DENALI (as planned)

July 3rd – DENALI (as planned)

July 4th – DENALI to Glennallen - maybe add the musk-ox farm in Palmer as a stop

July 5th - Glennallen to Valdez

July 6th – VALDEZ

July 7th – VALDEZ to WHITTIER by ferry

July 8th - WHITTIER

July 9th – ANCHORAGE

July 10th – ANCHORAGE

Regardless of what you decide, please take the time to check out Savage River at Denali. Since you aren't planning on taking a bus into the park, you should definitely drive to Savage River on your own. You should have time on July 3rd or on the 4th before you head toward Valdez. You can see dog sledding demos in port or in Seward and you can hike everywhere in Alaska, but you really won't get much of the Denali magic unless you head at least a bit of a way on the park road. Try early morning or evening, when the park is less crowded and the animals are more active.

But who's going to carry your 2yo when he/she gets tired? I know...hubby's shoulders work just fine...lol.

And don't forget about July 4th...do you have fireworks planned? Kids love those, usually.

It does sound like a fantastic vacation.

bqkali,

Would it be worth riding the ferry from Seward to Whittier AND doing the 26 Glacier cruise? Or is this repetitive? I'm sure I could find the answer to this by searching the forums...just wondering if you had a quick answer since you suggested:) Thank you for your help!

Considering that you don't want to see Fairbanks and you don't have a specific activity planned for Valdez ( like kayaking to the Columbia glacier), it seems like a lot of driving. Or is that the point? You enjoy scenic driving. I do, so I'm certainly not criticizing. We did a similar itinerary last yr by RV.

I would sure try to go part way on the Denali shuttle (Toklat maybe?), even with a 2 yr old. If he/she gets antsy you can always get off, take a short hike, then either continue on another bus or go back. We had a couple on our bus to Eielson with a 3 mo old and 3 yr old and they did great. But you know your kid best.

The drive between Fai and Valdez is stunning. We stopped frequently to enjoy the scenery and look for wildlife. It was late Aug and we saw several moose between Big Delta and Glenallen. We stopped at Rikka's Roadhouse for a break, then stayed awhile longer. Your child won't appreciate the history or buildings but would enjoy the variety of geese out back! It's a nice location on a river with a good view of the pipeline on it's own little bridge; good soup and pie too! Worth a quick stop. We overnighted at Glenallen.

We planned to stop at Wrangell St Elias VC but the weather turned rainy and cold so we didnt. It's supposed to be very good. There were lots of pullouts closer to Valdez; Worthington Glacier, the waterfalls, the canyon. We also drove out to Alison Point because there were bears in the evening by the hatchery. Our kayak trip was x'd due to weather. It was an easy day's drive to Anchorage from Valdez, and very scenic. Lots of sheep in the mountains. The ferry was too pricey with an RV.

Sounds like a good trip. Enjoy!

I was at Stanley Park last week. Gorgeous, even in October! Walked my legs off! Be sure to take advantage of the trolley thru the park. I had my dogs so I couldn't!

My husband and I are booked on the RC Radiance of the Seas - departing June 24th, 2011 from Vancouver. After quite a bit of planning, and guidance from the MilePost and CruiseCritic forums...I feel I have almost completed our cruise and land itinerary for review! ***We will have our 2 yr. old daughter with us.***

Cruise Portion

June 23rd - Arrive in Vancouver and explore Stanley Park

June 24th – Depart Vancouver

June 25th – day at sea

June 26th – KETCHIKAN - Self-guided walking tour (Creek Street, Married Men’s Trail, Dolly’s House, Alaska Fish House, etc.)

June 27th – ICY STRAIGHT POINT – take turns riding Zip Rider, remaining time spent hiking the nature loop and walking the beach

June 28th – JUNEAU – Mt. Roberts Tram and hiking, Gold Creek Salmon Bake, Project Playground, remaining time spent touring downtown Juneau

June 29th – SKAGWAY – Chilkoot Charters train/bus combo tour, self-guided walking tour around Skagway with our remaining time

June 30th – day at sea

July 1st – SEWARD – disembark the cruise ship, Sealife Center, hike Exit Glacier, board Alaska Railroad for Anchorage, pick up rental car by 11pm

Land Portion

July 2nd – ANCHORAGE to DENALI – along the way, travel to Independence Mine State Park and Hatcher’s Pass, and stop in Talkeetna

July 3rd – DENALI – visitors center/museum w/ 10am dogsled demonstration, hike Mt. Healy overlook trail, get dinner around the park entrance, if we feel up to it – perhaps take a drive to the Savage River

July 4th (we’ll sing some patriotic songs in the car)– DENALI to ??? – spend the morning in Denali – perhaps do another short hike around the entrance – head north through Fairbanks (make a quick stop at North Pole). (QUESTION: we really have no interest in seeing Fairbanks, and our goal is to get to Valdez – but we wanted to split the drive from Denali to Valdez into two days…but we’re not sure where to stay the night to split the trip in half. Delta Junction???)

July 5th - ??? to VALDEZ (QUESTION: Any suggestions for places to stop, hike, or drive along the way to Valdez? I know there’s Copper Center and Wrangle-St. Elias National Park…worth stopping with a toddler?)

July 6th – VALDEZ – explore Valdez (museums and shopping), Hike Goat Trail and Wagon Road if weather permits), perhaps go biking or fishing

July 7th – VALDEZ to ANCHORAGE – just that, drive from Valdez to Anchorage making scenic stops along the way

July 8th – ANCHORAGE – Alaska Zoo, Alaska Museum and Science Center, spend evening in downtown Anchorage

July 9th – WHITTIER – drive to Whittier stopping at the Alyeska Tram along the way, must be to the tunnel by 11:30am, 26 Glacier Cruise on Prince William Sound, dinner at the Inn at Whittier, drive back to Anchorage stopping at Potter’s Marsh along the way

July 10th – ANCHORAGE – bike the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, prepare to fly home (extremely early morning flight on the 11th)

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated...especially for the portion between Denali and Valdez. Thanks ahead of time!!!

Where are you picking up your rental car from Anchorage?? An alternative could be to overnight in a hotel which has train depot and airport shuttle, and just pick up the car early the next morning?? Your current plan is more doable, IF your plan is to stay near the airport?

As for Denali Park, I agree, IF you are VERY willing to exit the shuttle buses, If needed, I too would suggest you consider the Toklat Shuttle.

I'm assuming you are looking at a "driving" tour? In my opinion, you could use an extra day. Denali to Valdez, via the Richardson, is a lot of driving over 2 days. Especially with "no" interest in Fairbanks- despite being a great area, :), kind of makes this a marathon trip. Valdez is a great area, loaded with plenty to see and do.

I would leave Hatcher Pass, open. You have the opportunity to drive it, when you return from Valdez, and also easy to add on to your last day in Anchorage. You may find, some interest in the Alaska State parks, and their trails, since you seem to be hikers, and will be passing those areas only once. Little Coal Creek Trail is excellent.

bqkali,

Would it be worth riding the ferry from Seward to Whittier AND doing the 26 Glacier cruise? Or is this repetitive? I'm sure I could find the answer to this by searching the forums...just wondering if you had a quick answer since you suggested:) Thank you for your help!

There is no ferry Seward/Whittier. It is Whittier/Valdex. If this is a consideration- I highly recommend it. If you happen to alter your routing, and skip going to Fairbanks, The Glenn Highway/Valdez ferry, makes a great loop.

There is absolutely NOTHING repeative, between any of the boat tours, and ferries. Completely different.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions! I will definitely look into the Denali shuttle a little more. Traveling with a 2 yo makes me hesitate, but knowing you can make frequent stops, if needed, is helpful. The problem with planning a trip like this is that I know my child NOW, as an 18 month old. I have no idea what her temperament and patience will be like in another 8 months.

As for Valdez...I'm torn. I have often thought about leaving it out of our trip altogether to avoid the long drive, however, I keep thinking we would regret not going.

BudgetQueen, you mentioned having an extra day. Assuming an extra day in Alaska is totally doable (why wouldn't we, right?), would this make my itinerary 10 times better?

July 4th - half day in Denali/drive to Delta Junction

July 5th - Delta Junction to Copper Center/Glennallen

July 6th - Copper Center/Glennallen to Valdez

July 7th - Valdez

July 8th - ferry to Whittier

July 9th - Whittier (26 Glacier Cruise) - Alyeska and Girdwood - Potter's Marsh - to Anchorage

July 10th and 11th - Anchorage

I appreciate everyone's suggestions! I will definitely look into the Denali shuttle a little more. Traveling with a 2 yo makes me hesitate, but knowing you can make frequent stops, if needed, is helpful. The problem with planning a trip like this is that I know my child NOW, as an 18 month old. I have no idea what her temperament and patience will be like in another 8 months.

As for Valdez...I'm torn. I have often thought about leaving it out of our trip altogether to avoid the long drive, however, I keep thinking we would regret not going.

BudgetQueen, you mentioned having an extra day. Assuming an extra day in Alaska is totally doable (why wouldn't we, right?), would this make my itinerary 10 times better?

July 7th - Valdez

July 9th - Whittier (26 Glacier Cruise) - Alyeska and Girdwood - Potter's Marsh - to Anchorage

This is definately a less intense road trip. But, verify, there are activities of interest in the areas- in my opinion, Delta Junction is a drive by. :) Copper Center- is a day trip into McCarthy/Kennicott. Can add a stop hiking Worthington Glacier?

I like the regular ferry to Whittier, instead of the "fast ferry", not sure what is currently available. The slower ferry, has a naturalist on board, and there is more time for the scenic sailing. BUT, if there is an option available for an early arrival from Valdez in the morning and the PWS boat tour, later that day, would make better use of time.

Just wanted to clarify "but knowing you can make frequent stops, if needed, is helpful." The shuttle stops for bathroom breaks every 90 minutes or so. In between those stops if your child acts up, you can ask the driver to pull over and let you off the bus. You can walk around for awhile then wait for seats on the next available bus. It is not unusual for drivers to stop; they let people off to go hiking or pick people up after their hike.

I agree with BQ about the drive through comment. If you were having great weather an overnight at Copper Center would give you time for hiking around Wranglell St Elias VC but otherwise head to Valdez.

I would be a bit concerned about the train/bus tour with Chilkoot. Depending on which one you are thinking about, it is a really long day, especially for a little one. There was a little girl on our tour, probably 3 or 4 and she did OK but she looked like a pretty even tempered child. Many 2 year olds I have seen would have gone nuts with the bus portion. We were in and out a lot but our 11 year old always wanted to stay out of the bus longer than we had. If you do stick with the Chilkoot tour (which was very god btw), I would include the dog cart portion. The little girl on our tour seemed to enjoy it and it was a highlight for our group, especially the 11 year old. It really broke up a day of heavy scenery.

A rental car for Skagway is an option if you don't do the train and you can make a similar drive to the train/bus tour.

Jen in SoCal

July 7th - Valdez

If you decide to go to Valdez, don't miss Stan Stephens cruise to Columbia glacier. This was absolutely the highlight of my Alaska cruise in 2009. Besides stunning scenery at the glacier-- it was almost surreal cruising between the blue ice chunks-- I saw more marine/wild life than I have ever seen at one time. We had a humpback whale showing off right next to the boat for at least 5 minutes. Incredible. We also saw bears on the shore, sea otters, sea lions, birds... and more. The boat was so nice--very well kept and it wasn't too crowded. Incredible trip!

Yay, I'm excited that there will be another child onboard! We are bringing our 6 year old. He cruised with us when he was 3 (New England/Canada) and he loved it. He loved the Fisher Price play groups, and any tour that included a bus ride.

We have a thread going on the meet & mingle board. There's a few of us on there already chatting away.

Your trip sounds great! You have really done your homework.

Are you doing the Yukon or the Summit trip on the Chilkoot tour? We originally wanted to do the longer Yukon tour, but we scaled it back to just the Summit bus/train combo. We haven't decided yet whether to do the bus part first or the train part first.

Here's what we have booked. We are doing a pretrip to Seattle and a ferry ride over to Victoria for a visit. We love Victoria. Then doing a seaplane over to Vancouver.

Ketchikan - float plane to Misty Fjord with Seawind Aviation.

Icy Strait - whale watching with F.I.S.H.E.S., then walking around, maybe we'll walk the beach path.

Juneau - booked the gold mine tour, then taking the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier. We want to walk the trail to Nugget Falls for some pictures.

Skagway - Chilkoot Summit train/bus combo, then walk the trail to Yakutania Point (hopefully).

Seward - we have two tours booked that hit sights all the way back to Anchorage...including lunch up top at Alyeska and a Wildlife conservation place. Once we get to Anchorage, we see Earthquake Park, Hood Lake, Bootleggers Cove, the Chocolate Dwellers Lounge and then our tour ends at Wildberry. Wildberry has a shuttle to the airport.

Well have fun planning your trip. Looks like you've got it all ironed out.

Has your daughter been on a cruise before?

• 2 weeks later...

Cheryl,

This will not only be our daughter's first cruise, it'll be our first cruise as well. We are celebrating our 5 year anniversary, and wanted to do something special.

For the Chilkoot tour in Skagway, we originally wanted to do the longer tour too. I was so afraid, though, if our daughter got fussy at all...agh. Maybe if she were just a little older. We are going to begin with the train, and come back on the bus, because the tour will end an hour earlier that way, if I remember correctly. This'll give us more time to spend around the port exploring.

We have thought about whale watching in Icy Straight. Still not sure. My husband hasn't specifically told me what my budget for this trip is, but I guess after just 5 years, it doesn't need to be stated...hence a lot of walking tours. Which is fine with us:)

Thanks for your response! I'll have to check out the meet-and-mingle boards.

Cheryl,

We have thought about whale watching in Icy Straight. Still not sure. My husband hasn't specifically told me what my budget for this trip is, but I guess after just 5 years, it doesn't need to be stated...hence a lot of walking tours. Which is fine with us:)

Thanks for your response! I'll have to check out the meet-and-mingle boards.

No flames please, I have been on way over 100 whale watches, and I have seldom seen toddlers do well on whale watches. They are at least 3 hours, which is a long time. Many times, I have seen miserable parents as well, since they can't "exit". As only a suggestion, I would only recommend the ship tour if you do this. It is a much bigger, multi deck boat where you can maybe move around a bit more. On an independent, these are usually 6 pasenger boats, which won't be happy with a disruptive child.

No flames please, I have been on way over 100 whale watches, and I have seldom seen toddlers do well on whale watches. They are at least 3 hours, which is a long time. Many times, I have seen miserable parents as well, since they can't "exit". As only a suggestion, I would only recommend the ship tour if you do this. It is a much bigger, multi deck boat where you can maybe move around a bit more. On an independent, these are usually 6 pasenger boats, which won't be happy with a disruptive child.

I second BQ's suggestion of a large boat for a toddler. Here are other things to think about with a whale watch (or any boat excursion) with a young child.

On small boats, the captain is typically licensed for 6 pax. You can't expect much, if any, reduction in price for a child. They can't make a living going out with seats filled with non- or low-paying passengers. I mention this because I wouldn't pay full price to take a 2-year old on a whale watch--but others would, I know.

You need to check if they will allow 2-year olds on board. They will need life jackets, and many excursion providers won't have them for below a certain weight, which means "bring your own". The life jacket can't just be on board, like for an adult. Children must be wearing the life jacket at all times.

I've forgotten what my 3rd thought was:confused: oh, well.

Our children and grandchildren have been in small boats since they were babies, and as toddlers knew what was expected. 3 of the grandchildren were fine in a small boat, but 1 was not. pug85747--you are very realistic to realize that you can't predict your child's behavior 7 months from now. It's difficult to predict a toddler's temperament 2 hours from now!

You've done a lot of research--looks like you'll have a great trip!

Archived