Surprise for Hubby!

Bholling

I am surprising my husband with a cruise on Summit for our 20th Anniversary - here's the poem I wrote to let him know about it...what do you think? How should I "package" this? Any suggestions?

Twenty Years have come and gone since first we said, “I do”

Each year since then, at April’s end, we’ve toasted Me & You

Sometimes at home, sometimes afar, but always we’re together

It’s time again, for us, my friend, to share some steamy weather

But what to do, I ask of you: what shall we do to mark it?

A card, a gift, a sparkly bit, or stay at home and park it?

To help, I made this alphabet, each letter has a meaning

When I am done, please tell me hon, which way is it you’re leaning?

A is for Antigua; a place we’ve never been

B is for Barbados – would you like to go again?

C is for Celebrity, our favorite cruise line host

D is for Dessert, the course I think you like the most

E is for the Elegance we’ll view from every side

F is for Frank’s Taxi Tours – our own St Lucia guide

G is for the Goat Cheese that we love in that souffle

H is for the Happiness we’ll start with every day

I is for the Ice Cream that we’ll snack on every night

J is for the Jogging Track; you usin’ it? I might!

K is for the Kisses on the balcony I’ll steal

L is for the Lifeboat Drill…I hope it’s not for real!

M is for the Morningstar; a beach we like to visit

N is for the Normandie –our meal will be exquisite

O is for Club Orient - we’ll strip off all our clothes

P is for the Pitons – the Petit, and also Gros

Q is for the Quiet Times when we can take a nap

R is for the Rendezvous – let’s go for a nightcap!

S is for San Juan, where we will spend a day or two

T is for Tanushka, who is sure to welcome you

U is for the UV Rays; we’d better wear our lotion!

V is for the Vows that we’ll renew beside the ocean

W is for the Waves on which the Summit, she will sail

X is hard to ever rhyme – most poets, they will fail

Y is for the Yes that I am hopeful you will say

Z is for the Zest for life we share in every way

So there it is, my poem is done; I’ve sure enjoyed the writing

If you’ll agree to go with me, it sure would be exciting!

Now don’t you fret, my handsome pet, it’s not a sticky wicket

So sure was I of your reply, of course I’ve booked the ticket!

As some construe, and it is true, you’re really quite a catch

But now you must concede to me: the Game, the Set, the Match!

The poem just kind of "came to me" over the past week or so. We spent a long weekend traveling in our motor home and in the early hours when it's too early to get up but the brain starts working...my brain created this little ditty!!

I finally wrote it all down yesterday.

I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out...his birthday is in December, and there is always Christmas...but I am getting anxious.

In fact, just this morning, he asked "What are we doing for our 20th?"...and the gal at the dentist (knowing we are avid travelers) asked him on Wednesday, "What's your next trip...".

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Cruiser, your idea might just work! We've been lugging the same old backpack with us for years and when we recently saw some nice ones he commented that he'd like a new one "before our next trip". I saw some REALLY nice ones on sale at Macy's the other day and I have to go there today to get a wedding gift...so, maybe I'll get him one, and just happen to leave it out (maybe on Wednesday - 6 months to the day from our Anniversary) and just happen to leave a copy of the poem in one of the pockets...hmmmm...

When you write from the heart, the words just flow. Have a wonderful anniversary and an incredible cruise. There is nothing better than sharing the love of travel with your spouse...I highly recommend it :)

Happy cruising...Joanne

do you scrapbook? you could always do a Ann. poem/going on a trip scrapbook and then put it in that backpack you were talking about.(i made a scrapbook for a guy a work who surprised his wife with a cruise came out awesome) plus you can add pages to put photos from the trip in it hth what trip are you going on were on the summit on the 30th of april

I just surprised my husband with a cruise on Solstice 10/31/10 for his 50th birthday. I waited to tell him until six weeks before the cruise. We were camping with out our children at our favorite beach. I had four gift bags and I gave them to him one at a time. The first on contained two new tank tops (which of course he needed) representing warm weather, the next had a sexy nighty meaning it was just him and me, the third an airplane and the fourth a cruise ship. He guessed it after the airplane. He was very excited. We have had great fun the last six weeks planing our excursions and such.

The poem was great. I am sure he will love it no matter how you choose to tell hime.

Enjoy and Happy Anniversary!

Loved your poem! Many years ago I surprised my husband with a trip to Las Vegas for a "milestone" birthday. Neither of us had been there before. I wrote a poem, too. I had everything arranged including 5 days off from his work, flights, our hotel(New York, New York), and a good supply of gambling money.

I put the poem on the front of a folder that I had decorated with some stickers that went along with the different parts of the poem.(I was an elementary teacher before retiring!:rolleyes:;)) Then I had the inside decorated with "Viva Las Vegas" and had the airline tickets, hotel confirmation, Las Vegas info. and the gambling money inside. Probably not the most imaginative way of presenting it, but the whole surprise thing was SO MUCH FUN! I broke down and gave it to him a few weeks early, so he could enjoy the anticipation, too.

We had a great time, and I know you will, too!! :D

Dawnn12 - We're on Summit's Easter sailing, leaving San Juan on the 23rd, so we'll pass one another! I am not a scrap-booker, but I always keep a journal of our trips and love to look back on them for fond memories and a few laughs!

We'll be in St Lucia on our actual anniversary, April 27th and I have booked a private tour with Frank's. In addition to an island tour, lunch, beach time and shopping, Frank is also arranging a casual vow renewal for us! We're also staying a few extra days afterwards at the Coral Princess in San Juan - a friend stayed there recently and LOVED it.

Joshscure - I love the gift bag idea. I did something kind of like that almost 15 years ago when DH was turning 40. I mailed him a letter each day for 7 days - kind of like a scavenger hunt that ended with the big finish that tied it all together. It's fun dreaming up this stuff, isn't it?

Did not get the backpack yet, but I do think that is going to be my method...

I did it last night - cooked his favorite dinner, then wished him a happy 19 1/2 year Anniversary. Then I pulled out the backpack and reminded him that he had asked for a new one...he looked a little puzzled, and said "Why - are we going on a trip?" I played dumb for a while even though it took FOREVER for him to get around to looking in all the pockets. Finally he found the poem, along with a little photo tour I made up describing each day, the ports and activities.

He loved the poem, and claims to have been TOTALLY surprised, that he had NO idea at all that I had a plan...

Oh, well...now I can look at CC without hiding it, and actually discuss the plans with him instead of being afraid I'll let the cat out of the bag! We have exactly 6 months to plan it all and share the excitement.

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and suggestions! See you on the Summit Easter Sailing!

Archived