Help, please, with boarding in San Juan

We, along with our best friends will be flying into San Juan in March for an AOS cruise. We were hoping to fly in on the Sat. but have gotten a better package deal by flying in on the Sun. I know! I know! we are taking a risk, but since the plane is full of cruisers, we're hoping that they will do their darndest to get us there on time. So... to the help I'm needing- the plane arrives at 2:30 so we have a few hours before the ship leaves and we're wondering if we can deliver our luggage to the pier and then (depending on time) go off to explore old San Juan? I know that it's great getting on as early as possible, and our friends have not sailed on RCI so I'm looking forward to seeing their reaction, but this may be our only chance to see even a little bit of San Juan. I'm also hoping that AOS is docked at the same pier as the Celebrity Solstice, because I know where that is, and so I know a little of what is in the area. Is this correct? Have actually been there on Solstice, but due to many reasons, we didn't get to see much of San Juan! So... Will we be able to leave our luggage? Will we have enough time to see anything if we do go off? How long is the trip between airport and ship? Is it the same regulations as other ports where we have to be on board at least 2 hours before sailing? Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated! and Thank you :)

we have gone out of San Juan twice, I believe you need to be onboard by 5pm. The ship is also not at the pier downtown,I would not chance it. We had a late afternoon flight on departure day, we used the luggage valet ( 20.00) per person, sent our luggage onward with this service and explored San Juan for the day then grabbed a cab to the airport. It worked out well.

No, the Solistice docks at the Old San Juan pier as do all Rccl/Celebrity ship when docking for the day. When starting and leaving from San Juan you use the Pan Am pier about a 15-20 minute taxi ride for Old San Juan, 2:30 in my opinion is doable but not leaving a lot of wiggle room for any weather or plane issues, and yes you have to be boarded 90 minutes before. How do you know the plane is full of cruisers? Very rarely will they hold the ship?

It would be better if you went inside and checked in when you drop your luggage off. You can go all the way to getting your picture put on your seapass card, and then just get off the ship.

It will take at least an hour to collect your luggage and get to the pier, especially if the plane is full of passengers going to the same place! At 3:30PM you might have a big crowd, because I've researched air flights into SJU myself, and they start to arrive around 1 - 3PM, so many of the passengers will be checking in.

So, figure you are OK to get off the ship at 4:30PM, and that might be optimistic. Yes, you should be on the ship 2 hours before sailing, and if that's 8PM, then you have only a few hours to go sightseeing. I'd go either to Morrow Castle (fort), or into Old San Juan.

Are you roundtrip back to San Juan at the end of the cruise? If so, then why not stay the night at the end of the cruise. Drop your luggage off at a hotel and go out for the day and evening. Then, you don't have to be back by any specific time that evening.

I I'd go either to Morrow Castle (fort), or into Old San Juan.

Are you roundtrip back to San Juan at the end of the cruise? If so, then why not stay the night at the end of the cruise. Drop your luggage off at a hotel and go out for the day and evening. Then, you don't have to be back by any specific time that evening.

Actually it is El Morro and it closes at 6pm, the other for is San Cristobal.

We, along with our best friends will be flying into San Juan in March for an AOS cruise. We were hoping to fly in on the Sat. but have gotten a better package deal by flying in on the Sun. I know! I know! we are taking a risk, but since the plane is full of cruisers, we're hoping that they will do their darndest to get us there on time. So... to the help I'm needing- the plane arrives at 2:30 so we have a few hours before the ship leaves and we're wondering if we can deliver our luggage to the pier and then (depending on time) go off to explore old San Juan? I know that it's great getting on as early as possible, and our friends have not sailed on RCI so I'm looking forward to seeing their reaction, but this may be our only chance to see even a little bit of San Juan. I'm also hoping that AOS is docked at the same pier as the Celebrity Solstice, because I know where that is, and so I know a little of what is in the area. Is this correct? Have actually been there on Solstice, but due to many reasons, we didn't get to see much of San Juan! So... Will we be able to leave our luggage? Will we have enough time to see anything if we do go off? How long is the trip between airport and ship? Is it the same regulations as other ports where we have to be on board at least 2 hours before sailing? Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated! and Thank you :)

The AOS will be docked at PanAm Pier which is an industrial port and not within walking distance of anything.

The ride from the airport is 20-30 minutes. Yes, you must be checked in at least 90 minutes prior to sailing......and your sail away time is 8:30.

As far as arriving on the day of departure..........not only do you have weather to consider at the time of the year but there is also mechanical issues and flights delays to consider if your flight is not originating at your airport of departure. Just be prepared.........the airline will do the best it can.

Hi , I just checked the Royal site and AOS leaves from the Pan Am pier. If you got to the FAQ section , then ports of depature it is there. If you are taking a cab or limo they should be familiar with that pier. Here is a link with the info. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000idvDFr1q3eXzmx2S2nylcUQ:13hldcctq?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Directions+to+the+Pier&faqId=303&faqSubjectId=331&faqType=faq

Actually it is El Morro and it closes at 6pm, the other for is San Cristobal.

When we first went to San Juan on the Sun Viking in 1974 they referred to it as "Morrow Castle", and I've thought of it like that ever since for some reason.

6PM is doable if the OP is off the ship by 4:30. I know last December my two sons, plus a fiancee, walked there from the pier. Not sure if it's the same pier the AOS will be docked at, though.

EDIT: guess the pier location got answered, and walking it not an option.

I wouldn't even consider flying in day of for sailing out of San Juan. The savings to me would not be worth the cost to catch the ship at next port if flight has a delay due to weather or mech issues. Where are you flying in from? Is it a direct flight or connector? All things to consider. Like clint says "Feeling lucky?" JMO Looks like your coming in from Canada? March? Customs.. Lots to consider..

Thank you for all the responses. In my own response- we booked with Air Canada vacations, and they told us that it was a chartered flight of cruise travellers, hence only being able to fly out Sun. I am definitely concerned about weather, as have had friends miss their ship due to weather. I will definitely invest in traveller's insurance! We are flying into Montreal and then non-stop to San Juan. Thanks for the info on getting our sea passes and then leaving, hopefully the travel gods will smile on us and we will arrive on time and have a little time to get a cab and visit old San Juan. Unfortunately we can not stay on the return as I am a teacher and need to be in class bright and early on the Monday! I was hoping to visit one of the outlet stores that is supposed to be a great place to by purses:p We will at least now be able to discuss our plan A's and B's, Thank you, again

Thank you for all the responses. In my own response- we booked with Air Canada vacations, and they told us that it was a chartered flight of cruise travellers, hence only being able to fly out Sun. I am definitely concerned about weather, as have had friends miss their ship due to weather. I will definitely invest in traveller's insurance! We are flying into Montreal and then non-stop to San Juan. Thanks for the info on getting our sea passes and then leaving, hopefully the travel gods will smile on us and we will arrive on time and have a little time to get a cab and visit old San Juan. Unfortunately we can not stay on the return as I am a teacher and need to be in class bright and early on the Monday! I was hoping to visit one of the outlet stores that is supposed to be a great place to by purses:p We will at least now be able to discuss our plan A's and B's, Thank you, again

If you miss the outlets on San Juan no worries. You'll have at least 5 other good spots on trip to find some. I know my DW did.:D

Archived