Butler expectations?

homeclair

My DH and I are taking a panama canal cruise November 2005. We will have

a Sky Suite. I am excited about the space, but wondering what to expect from the butler. I do not want to turn into the demanding tourist--what can I reasonably expect? Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. Also room 1209 on the Galaxy, are you able to sunbathe on the balcony?

Thanks,

Clair

Butler handles room service, your cleaning/laudry needs, canapes, afternoon tea, snacks, ice, fruit, flowers, etc.

When you get on, ask him to explain what he can/cannot do for you. That will put you more at ease. :)

Yes, you'll have plenty of space for sun - there's also an overhang for shade and privacy. Best of both worlds!

We've had 4 sky suites - you'll be spoiled forever! The butler will automatically bring tea sandwiches and sweets around 3-4pm and canapes around 6. You can have him deliver breakfast by filling out the card and hanging it on the door the night before; feel free to write requests on the breakfast card like french toast, eggs benedict, oatmeal etc. - they aren't listed but if it's served in the dining room, you should be able to get it. We have breakfast en suite most mornings; outside if it's not windy, inside if it is. He'll bring cappucino or espresso on request. He can press jackets or pants. He'll deliver news, invitations, and information to and from Guest Services. In general the butler takes care of you, and the cabin attendant takes care of the room, but there's usually a good bit of overlap and either person will happily take care of any request. Have a great time! Galaxy is a beautiful ship.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Do they pack and unpack your suitcases? Press and hang up your clothes?

Iron your copy of the "Daily Telegraph" so the ink doesn't leach onto your hands?

This is what I believe a butler does here in England.

Problem is Jeeves cannot seem to find the Telegraph when we asked Bollinge

But otherwise, you are on the right lines, he will certainly pack and unpack ,but our experience is they like you to be present when that is being done, no hiding and leaving it to Jeeves

And less of the England, we do know what Bulters are in Scotland as well!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

When are you going? We're booked for 10/31. We're celebrating our 25th and this is our first butler experience too-we're really excited about it!! Let me know if you're on this cruise-I don't think they double book (like the airlines!!)-that would be awful and I'd contact my TA ASAP!!

Archived